Senate blocks Bush tax cut extension.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate blocks Bush tax cut extension.

The Republicans are sticking to their guns on this one. I think we'll get the extension but they'll probably have to give on unemployment benefits.

The Senate blocked President Obama’s and Democratic leaders’ tax cut plans Saturday in a foreordained symbolic vote that now sends both sides back to the negotiating table to work out a viable deal.

The Senate blocked President Obama's and Democratic leaders' tax cut plans Saturday in a foreordained symbolic vote that now sends both sides back to the negotiating table to work out a viable deal.

A bipartisan filibuster, led by unified Republicans and joined by four Democrats and one independent, proved there isn't enough support to back Mr. Obama's preferred option to extend income tax cuts for couples making less than $250,000 and tax increases for those making more than that.

With that vote out of the way, attention turns back to the high-level working group Mr. Obama and congressional leaders set up this week to try to work out a solution. That group met three times already, but Sen. Jon Kyl, Arizona Republican and one of the negotiators, said it was clear to him that Democrats weren't going to negotiate until they had gone through the votes to prove to their political base that raising taxes on the wealthy wasn't viable.

"It's been very clear that we're not going to be negotiating anything until all of this political process is over, until the partisan votes have been cast," he said an hour before the votes in a rare weekend Senate session.

The negotiators seem to be headed toward an agreement that would extend all the 2001 and 2003 income tax cuts temporarily. Still to be decided was what sweeteners Democrats would secure to make swallowing the tax cuts more palatable. Possible options included extended unemployment benefits.

But emotions on both sides are running high, which is complicating matters.

Sen. Mary L. Landrieu, Louisiana Democrat, lashed out at Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, on the Senate floor, saying she didn't know how Democrats were supposed to negotiate with him after the Kentucky Republican said before the elections that his top priority is to see Mr. Obama defeated in 2012.

Speaking to reporters after the vote, Mr. Obama accused Republicans of holding the middle-class "hostage" in their push to extend all tax breaks.

"I am very disappointed that the Senate is not going to pass legislation that has already passed the House of Representatives that would make the middle class tax cuts permanent," he said. "Those provisions should have passed."

Tax cuts are just one of a host of issues still unresolved by Congress even after two weeks of a lame-duck session.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, said the Senate must act on tax cuts and the outstanding spending bills, and said he wants to see it take up a nuclear arms reduction treaty, a massive immigration bill, the defense policy bill that would overturn the ban on gay and lesbian troops, and several other measures sought by his party's liberal base.

In January, Republicans take control of the House and increase their clout in the Senate, likely cutting off chances for Democrats to secure many of those priorities.

The Senate on Saturday first rejected an option that would have extended the Bush tax cuts for individuals making less than $200,000 and couples making less than $250,000, but let the rates rise back to pre-2001 levels for everyone else. The vote was 53-46, leaving Democrats seven votes shy of the 60 needed to end the filibuster.

Next, senators blocked an option that would have raised the threshold for extended tax cuts to $1 million. That also fell seven votes shy of the threshold needed to overcome a filibuster.

"Republicans are willing to hold hostage the middle class tax cut so they can get a tax cut for the very wealthy," said Sen. Charles E. Schumer, New York Democrat, who offered the higher income threshold.

With Republicans unified for months, the votes' outcome was not in doubt. But Democrats held the votes anyway in response to liberal lawmakers who said they wanted to show the country exactly where lawmakers stoof.

On Thursday, House Democratic leaders used their tight control of the rules and their soon-to-expire overwhelming majority to force through the president's position.

Extend everyone's taxes and kill the unemployment careers.

Comment

While the increase in taxes would suck, the taxes shooting up on Obama's watch wouldn't be the worst thing that ever happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
        While the increase in taxes would suck, the taxes shooting up on Obama's watch wouldn't be the worst thing that ever happened.
        Fuck that! I've finally made it only to get my ass handed to me by the government. Fuck that!

Just because the Fed and government fuck shit up on a new level, doesn't mean I need to be punished and have to pay for it. Bankers and politicians seem to be able to make decisions with no risk while we pick up their mess so they can scheme on ways to get more shit fucked up. Fuck that!

Comment

I called this after the house passed it. It's just posturing. The libs want the "middle-class" to blame the reps for the tax increase.

Comment

At least I'm still 100% tax free up to 92K

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
              Fuck that! I've finally made it only to get my ass handed to me by the government. Fuck that!

Just because the Fed and government fuck shit up on a new level, doesn't mean I need to be punished and have to pay for it. Bankers and politicians seem to be able to make decisions with no risk while we pick up their mess so they can scheme on ways to get more shit fucked up. Fuck that!
              1099 and forget to file

Comment

what's wrong with paying your fucking taxes? maybe if all the ballers out there would actually PAY their taxes, instead of finding deduction after deduction and write off after write off, we wouldn't be in such a big fucking hole.....
                "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
                  what's wrong with paying your fucking taxes? maybe if all the ballers out there would actually PAY their taxes, instead of finding deduction after deduction and write off after write off, we wouldn't be in such a big fucking hole.....
                  By all means, be the first to make your donation.

Department of the Treasury
                  Internal Revenue Service
                  Austin, TX 73301-0002

Keep your hands off MY money, though.
                  The Govt didn't earn my paycheck, I did, yet I'm forced to share it with him. FUUUUCK paying him a dime more than I'm legally forced to.

Comment

Heh... I think I pay my fair share with deductions. You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post

Well said!
                      GOD BLESS TEXAS
                      August Landscaping
                      214-779-7278
                      Seb's high class.
                      He'll mow your grass.
                      He'll kick your ass.
                      And while his kidney stones pass,
                      He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

And just what was your total tax liability last year? When you move out of mom and dads house then you can talk.

Any one want to bet he comes back with the I'm a self made millionaire bull shit ?

Comment

Originally posted by sig239 View Post
                          And just what was your total tax liability last year? When you move out of mom and dads house then you can talk.

Any one want to bet he comes back with the I'm a self made millionaire bull shit ?
                          I thought that was a prerequisite to posting in here.

Comment

I agree with Denny. The Goverment just gambles the Tax Payers money to make money & when they lose. They expect us to pay for their fuckups! Its old.

My grandmother said back in the early 50s all they had to pay was Federal Tax & House Tax. That was it! They some how managed to build all these roads & Bridges in America during those times on those taxs, Now we pay 4 times the Tax's our grandparents paid back when they where our age! They just have to maintain the roads & make them wider for the growing population. But I would think it would be alot cheaper to maintain something that is already there then having to start from scratch! Yes our infastructure of this country is falling apart!
                            GOD BLESS TEXAS
                            August Landscaping
                            214-779-7278
                            Seb's high class.
                            He'll mow your grass.
                            He'll kick your ass.
                            And while his kidney stones pass,
                            He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

It's idiotic NOT to take advantage of "deduction after deduction" and "write off after write off", if you qualify. If it's legal i'm damn sure taking it! There is nothing wrong with playing by the rules.

Originally posted by sc281
                              Department of the Treasury
                              Internal Revenue Service
                              Austin, TX 73301-0002
                              Exactly. If you feel that you haven't paid enough, feel free to send more to these people. I'm sure they'll take it.

Comment

Working...
                              X