New hunting rifle time..input wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zachary View Post
    The thought process has actually changed and instead of a new rifle for me, this is turning into a hunting rifle for her. so that being said...

I think we are going to go with a .243 and see what kind of deal can find on a nikon prostaff....IS asking what manufacturer .243 like asking which is better ford versus chevy? or is there a sure shot winner?
    .243 will be easier on her shoulder than some others. My sis-n-law who is 5' hunts with a 7-08 Ruger youth model. My wife hunts with a Remington with a shortened stock chambered in .257 Roberts. If your wife is small framed a youth model might fit her better. Take her and let her shoulder some rifles, work the actions, etc, and let her pick what feels best to her.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
      If you have never hunted before I would not use a .223.
      Why, and what would you use?
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
        Why, and what would you use?
        .223 is a small round. In a round that small shot placement is key. There are two guys on our lease that are seasoned hunters and I still disagree with them using a .223. I can put bullets hole in hole with my 22-250, which is the same .224 bullet and I still will not hunt deer with it. It is not only a humanity issue, but I would not chance a once in a lifetime trophy on a small caliber.
        Personally the smallest I would hunt deer with would be the .243....

Comment

I prefer the 270, 30.06 or the 308. All very good rifle calabers. You can load the shells at 110 grain and make them excelent varmit rifles.
          Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
            I prefer the 270, 30.06 or the 308. All very good rifle calabers. You can load the shells at 110 grain and make them excelent varmit rifles.
            110 is a pretty big bullet for small varmints if you plan on mounting them...

Comment

110 is a pretty big bullet for small varmints if you plan on mounting them...
              Did this thread just veer off to college sports?

LOL

Don't downplay a TC with a black powder setup along with a centerfire setup.

Comment

I don't think I seen a budget posted. Do you prefer a bolt gun or semi auto.

This will help. A 3x9 prostaff can be found for a 100 bucks or so if you search.

Comment

Hands down no questions asked, .243 is the way to go for your specs. I've downed plenty of deer with one, both single shot and bolt action. I shoot the Winchester X's .55 grain and it has never disappointed.

Comment

.223 is a small round. In a round that small shot placement is key. There are two guys on our lease that are seasoned hunters and I still disagree with them using a .223. I can put bullets hole in hole with my 22-250, which is the same .224 bullet and I still will not hunt deer with it. It is not only a humanity issue, but I would not chance a once in a lifetime trophy on a small caliber.
                    Personally the smallest I would hunt deer with would be the .243....
                    I personally use a .243 as my primary, but have shot many deer with 22-250 and my dad's favorite setup is a Rem. 700 .222 ADL. I've never seen him miss one because of the caliber...

BTW here is his .222 kill from this year, yet to be scored. Base of the horns are 5in diameter and 18.5 spread, decent deer for East Texas.

Last edited by Droppedlime; 11-28-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Droppedlime View Post
                      I personally use a .243 as my primary, but have shot many deer with 22-250 and my dad's favorite setup is a Rem. 700 .222 ADL. I've never seen him miss one because of the caliber...

BTW here is his .222 kill from this year, yet to be scored. Base of the horns are 5in diameter and 18.5 spread, decent deer for East Texas.

My father in law hunted for 20 years with a .220 Swift, he has lost a couple of bucks because of it and moved to a 25-06. I am not talking about missing a deer because of the caliber. I am talking about wounding the deer with a small caliber and never recovering it, or only to find it rotted away weeks later after enduring a horrible death....
                      Why do you hunt with a .243? Just curious, never knew anyone to stay with it after they had been hunting a while.

And yes, that is a very nice buck for any part of Texas. I would guess 130s on the score.
                      Last edited by Chopped54; 11-28-2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Hands down no questions asked, .243 is the way to go for your specs. I've downed plenty of deer with one, both single shot and bolt action. I shoot the Winchester X's .55 grain and it has never disappointed.
                        Just curious if .55gr is really what you're using cause thats a varmint bullet in .243 diameter bullets. If ever a heavy bone hit, IE shoulder blade the bullet will rapidly expand and not penetrate enough to kill the animal.
                        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                          Just curious if .55gr is really what you're using cause thats a varmint bullet in .243 diameter bullets. If ever a heavy bone hit, IE shoulder blade the bullet will rapidly expand and not penetrate enough to kill the animal.
                          Missed that part. I have seen higher velocity smaller grain bullets pepper on the hide of deer....

Comment

Seen it too, the only thing to run light for the caliber is the Barnes or other solid copper stuff.
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                              Your right 55 grain is a varmint round but I have great success with it and also shoot some 95 grain every now and then when I don't have any 55's. I have never personally had a problem with a round expanding. My deer I just shot was perfect created a nice cavity and made quick work of his ribs and internals. Just my opinion though.... BTW I stick mainly with the .243 because its a sentimental gun, if I ever get to hunt with my Darin Wyoming it will definitely be a 30-06 or. 270 being shot. Around here in east TX. A .243 is plenty to get the job done.

Here are the bullets I use, and I do agree it is crazy to use such a low grain bullet. This bullet never butchers the deer and is a consistent kill shot every time. I have always found my deer, but like I said this is my opinion take it for what it's worth.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/68046-5.html
                              Last edited by Droppedlime; 11-28-2011, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Here are the bullets I use, and I do agree it is crazy to use such a low grain bullet. This bullet never butchers the deer and is a consistent kill shot every time. I have always found my deer, but like I said this is my opinion take it for what it's worth.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/68046-5.html

Originally posted by CheaperThanDirt
                                243 Winchester Super Short Magnum Supreme centerfire rifle cartridge, 55-Grain Ballistic Silvertip bullet, 4060 fps, 20 rounds

2013 ft/lbs. energy muzzle
                                3628 fps at 100 yards
                                1607 ft/lbs. at 100 yards
                                3237 fps at 200 yards
                                1280 ft/lbs. at 200 yards
                                2880 fps at 300 yards
                                1013 ft/lbs. at 300 yards.

Use for hunting predators such as coyote, bobcat, and fox and also use for hunting varmint, like prairie dog, marmont, and skunk.

Solid based boat tail design delivers excellent long range accuracy. The special jacket contours extend range and reduce cross-wind drift. Harder lead core ensures proper bullet expansion

I have no issue with the .243, it is a versatile caliber, but use application specific rounds...

Comment

Working...
                                X