No announcement yet.

black2002ls Model Car Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking good man. It still surprises me that people buy built plastic models. To me it's like buying a used condom, the fun parts already done!
    But for real, your painting skills are out of this world.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
      looking good man. It still surprises me that people buy built plastic models. To me it's like buying a used condom, the fun parts already done!
      But for real, your painting skills are out of this world.
      I get 2 types of buyers, collectors/enthusiasts, or re-builders.

The re-builders suck, because they want a deal, lol. Those go for $10-30 depending on the availability of the kit. If a build is significantly flawed from a "sitting on the shelf" stand point, I'm OK with it though. Some, however, go on ebay for something that I would imagine no one would pay, but isn't realistic, and either sits until a collector finds it or I lower the price incrementally until it draws some interest.

Collectors and enthusiasts are usually 1:1 collectors or people with die-cast collections looking to fill a void in what is available in die-cast (usually race car types). My biggest sale so far has been the NASCAR at $650. My Lambo is boxed up and will go out today after settling at $160. Which, shows me that there are buyers out there willing to pay a fair amount if the build is of good quality.

If I take my time into account, I lose money on every one of them, however, that isn't the point. The point is that I enjoy the build more so than having them sit on the shelf. Now, I will keep some along the way. The Green F100 I am keeping, as that was built for my wife. If I kind of want to keep one, it goes on ebay for a high price, like the Lambo at $199. If someone offers close and I make some $$, GONE. I can always build another! This keeps $$ in my hobby account so that I am not spending much out of my pocket to enjoy it. So far, most of my builds go for $30-50 on ebay, though most of them have been basic box stock builds with quality paint work, which brings up another point.

There are a lot of guys who just paint bodies. I have been approached by a few people at contests about painting for them. Though, this poses a moral dilemma, painting for someone who may enter their builds in a contest. I don't necessarily want to be attached to that, or knowingly help someone with a contest build like that. I know, my builds could be entered in contests, however, they are posted all over the internet, and I have a bit of a reputation. So, there is a good chance, someone is going to see it and recognize it. Either at the show, or post show coverage.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Well, I finally got fed up with spending hours polishing these things! Working on the hood of the 'burban, I leveled the clear with 3000 grit trizact foam pad/paper. As I was polishing, I found my dreaded microscratches from the paper. So I said eff it, proke out the 'burban roof and my Ford GT and decided I would completely change how I spray my clear. I cranked the pressure up to 35 PSI (from 20 PSI) and reduced the clear. I spray advantage 545 and the mix is 4:1, clear to hardener. I mixed it up 4:1:1, clear:hardener:reducer. Overall I am EXTREMELY pleased with the results. I may drop the pressure to 30 PSI on the next one to try and help with puddling and pushing the clear around as I'm spraying such small surfaces.

Other than a few dust particles in the clear, it is damn smooth, even after it has cured! Hopefully I can get a great shine and depth with polish only now!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

• I spent the morning working on the pro stock car. I was able to knock out a lot of little details...literally.

The switch box has aluminum toggle switches with photo etched bases. (Photo etched base is basically a very thin, tiny, metal washer.
          Struts are modified kit pieces. The engine is coming together. I've got an oil tank ordered and should be here mid week. Once it arrives, I can finish up the oil system and think about permanently mounting the engine. 13 days to finish for Houston. Hopefully I can finish this and the Ford GT.

Comment

• I shifted gears this afternoon/evening to decal work. My carbon fiber decal set for the Ford GT showed up today. If I had to guess there are 200 or more individual decals in this set!

Comment

• A little test shot of the Ford GT

Comment

• I got the rear end mounted in the Pro Stock car last night and this morning. This is the first time I have assembled a 4 link, so I learned a lot that will make it go much faster next time. The rod ends, shocks, and nut/bolt detail are all machined aluminum. One day I will buy a lathe and mill and save a TON of money! Maybe once this build hits the auction block and sells.

The shocks are static, though they are the only thing keeping the suspension from articulating. They interfere with the upper wheelie bar mount, so I will have to get creative there.

I have 9 days to finish this, and anything new that is going to Houston with me....

Comment

• Better step it up man! https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mod...ntador-his-son

Comment

• Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                    Pretty bad ass!

On a much smaller note. I made big strides in the interior. The seat is mounted, pedals in, gauges done, etc.

Comment

• Well, the rear wheels are on permanently. All they need are lug nuts. Those should arrive by Monday. The fronts are just "stuck" on for now. I still need front brakes. My oil tank should be here tomorrow so that I can finish up the oil system and mount the engine. To make the HAMS show in Houston, I have 7 days to finish...

Comment

• Radiator is almost complete. A few more parts are in route to finish that up.

Fuel pump is built and mounted

Comment

• You have some real talent and most of all, Patience. lol I love looking at your models.

Comment

• Thank you! I enjoy sharing them. I'm REALLY hoping I can finish the Pro Stock in time for Houston. I had to make a few last minute orders, so some details will be down to the wire! The Ford GT needs a few pieces painted. Hopefully I can get that knocked out tomorrow and then assemble through the week.

I really want to finish the butban, but it may not happen. I MAY do up the interior and assemble as a curbside with white glue so that I can take it apart and finish it later.

Comment

• I cleared a big hurdle today. Oil pump is built and mounted. Now just waiting for the epoxy to dry.

Not a huge update, but it is a big deal! I learned a little bit from building the oil pump for my Denny Hamlin car. This one is better, however, I'm still perfecting the whole, hanging it off the engine bit! Hopefully the 2 part epoxy cures enough over night for me to finish up the oil system in the morning!

Comment

• I am ALMOST done with the Ford GT. Final assembly is about all that is left.

Comment

Working...
                                X