No announcement yet.

black2002ls Model Car Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been in the parcel (USPS, UPS,FDX,ETC) shipping industry for nearly 30 years. Great job packing it! The only thing I would suggest is zip lock/vacuum bag first, pre-fill another bag 1/2 with smaller peanuts, insert bagged car, fill, seal, THEN tape, bubble wrap, etc.
    Wish I had the time/skills/money to enjoy the build and/or buy the results!!
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darren M View Post
      I've been in the parcel (USPS, UPS,FDX,ETC) shipping industry for nearly 30 years. Great job packing it! The only thing I would suggest is zip lock/vacuum bag first, pre-fill another bag 1/2 with smaller peanuts, insert bagged car, fill, seal, THEN tape, bubble wrap, etc.
      Wish I had the time/skills/money to enjoy the build and/or buy the results!!
      I had thought about bagging it first, however, I was concerned about it moving around in the bag and things coming loose!
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• Well, I finally finished something up! This has been in process for some time. I had issues with the bumpers during final assembly and shelved it. Finally got it all put together. AMT '50 Ford convertible. Box stock build, the paint is Ford torreador red. I topped that with Advantage 545 clear, polished it, and finally waxed with collinite 915.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

• killer

Comment

• Are you still building these from 3D printed parts or are these kits?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              Are you still building these from 3D printed parts or are these kits?
              These are kits. A lot of what I've built over the last year have been box stock builds, using only what came with the kit and using painting techniques to highlight and/or add detail. The race car was a whole different ball game. It had PE parts, resin parts, scratch built, etc.

I use 3d printed parts on occasion, however, with Shapeways changing their pricing format, that may change in the future. My 1/12th Camaro has had the heaviest use of printed parts, simply because the aftermarket for that scale/kit is pretty sparse. I'm planning to order some parts for that build and hopefully start working on it again when work slows down.

Comment

• Shoebox looks great man! Great paint.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                  Shoebox looks great man! Great paint.
                  There are a couple of flaws. The mold lines on this old kit were pretty bad, you could see where the mold halves/parts were slightly misaligned when it was injection molded. It took quite a bit of clean up, and the trunk is still off. I didn't want to go through the trouble of re-scribing lines, so I left it as is. The clear is pretty thick at the panel lines, and I burned through the clear on the driver's side just behind the door, which required some touch up and re-clearing. It looks great for a shelf piece though! I'm sure after it makes the show circuit round in 2019, someone will scoop it up on ebay!

Comment

• That is a sweet looking build!

Comment

• Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                      These are kits. A lot of what I've built over the last year have been box stock builds, using only what came with the kit and using painting techniques to highlight and/or add detail. The race car was a whole different ball game. It had PE parts, resin parts, scratch built, etc.

I use 3d printed parts on occasion, however, with Shapeways changing their pricing format, that may change in the future. My 1/12th Camaro has had the heaviest use of printed parts, simply because the aftermarket for that scale/kit is pretty sparse. I'm planning to order some parts for that build and hopefully start working on it again when work slows down.
                      Man shapeways used to be a great price but lately they've crept up (to be expected with the processes they use). I just bought a 3D printer to start making my own stuff because my costs finally reached a point that it made sense. But I dont need the ultra fine detail of an sls or sla/resin machine...so it worked out. I imagine your parts are best on a resin printer.

Comment

Man shapeways used to be a great price but lately they've crept up (to be expected with the processes they use). I just bought a 3D printer to start making my own stuff because my costs finally reached a point that it made sense. But I dont need the ultra fine detail of an sls or sla/resin machine...so it worked out. I imagine your parts are best on a resin printer.
                        Yeah, a lot of the guys that print and sell their own stuff in house are using Formlabs printers. I've got a guy in Kansas that has a Form2 or form3 and his parts are top notch. I would love to have my own printer, however, I just can't justify the cost, and my design abilities just aren't up to par to be able to design parts to print and recoup costs. I'm ordering about $100 in parts to get the wheels and brakes on the Camaro sorted out. I am still half assed looking for someone who can machine some sleeves for my wheel centers. Unfortunately, no one has been up to the task yet.

Comment

• You cant print the sleeves?

Comment

You cant print the sleeves?
                            I can, however, I will never be able to get the same look as machined aluminum sleeves. To print them in aluminum would be $80 or so per piece. There are a few guys who machine these types of things, however, I've tried one of them and it was an epic fail. He machined them for the centers to mount from the rear, they are designed to blind mount from the rear. What I asked for was a sleeve with a mounting ring" at my specified offset. What I got, was nothing like I had designed the wheel to be!

Here is the post in the 1/12th Camaro thread from the wheel debacle http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...&postcount=115

I am going to order some sleeves, see if I can clean them up, and get a decent aluminum look out of them.
                            Last edited by black2002ls; 11-26-2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• That's shouldn't be hard to machine, if you didnt send him a drawing or dimensions I can understand his challenge in understanding what you wanted though.

Either way that's frustrating on both sides. Theres so little money in it for a machine shop that it makes the parts really pricey for you.

Comment

That's shouldn't be hard to machine, if you didnt send him a drawing or dimensions I can understand his challenge in understanding what you wanted though.

Either way that's frustrating on both sides. Theres so little money in it for a machine shop that it makes the parts really pricey for you.
                                You interested? Lol

I ordered a bunch of parts last night for the Camaro. Hopefully I can finish up the wheels and get motivated on that thing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X