Mini 14 Ranch rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
    But isn't your Socom chambered in .308? Quite a bit more expensive than the Mini 14.
    Yep, but I bought .308 surplus from the 80's long before the ammo crunch hit.

Since it is brass cased, but has a bi-metal bullet, I don't get to shoot it much as most ranges wont let me.

Comment

I already have a Ruger AR556...been looking for a Mini 14 for quite a while specifically because it doesn't look like a scary baby killing ASSAULT RIFLE!!
      After reading a few reviews on various magazines for them I decided to try my luck on the Tapco 30 rd gen 2 mags which have great reviews...I was frustrated to find out that Tapco was shuttered in February and literally NOBODY has them in stock. Imagine my shock to find ONE vendor out of several hundred actually had some at the Dallas gun show. I bought 3 of them. If I don't like em I can probably sell them for a pretty penny
      I hear ya man. For me, I went the shotgun route. Although by the time I'm done with it, it's going to look scary. Also looking at getting a lever action gun with a matching revolver in the same caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
        I hear ya man. For me, I went the shotgun route. Although by the time I'm done with it, it's going to look scary. Also looking at getting a lever action gun with a matching revolver in the same caliber.
        This is why my next rifle will probably be a lever carbine in 357 or 41 mag.

And after shooting 41 mag, I see no need for 44 mag (at least for me). 357 is a pussycat compared to the 41. Shooting 9mm after 41 mag felt like 22LR. Shooting 22LR after, I had to verify the hole in the paper to know anything happened.

41mag is probably the worst I've anticipated shots and flinched in a long time. I now need to work on that some more (again).

I'm not sure why I never worry about rifle recoil or anticipate but some pistols.... wow.

Comment

I already have a Ruger AR556...been looking for a Mini 14 for quite a while specifically because it doesn't look like a scary baby killing ASSAULT RIFLE!!
          After reading a few reviews on various magazines for them I decided to try my luck on the Tapco 30 rd gen 2 mags which have great reviews...I was frustrated to find out that Tapco was shuttered in February and literally NOBODY has them in stock. Imagine my shock to find ONE vendor out of several hundred actually had some at the Dallas gun show. I bought 3 of them. If I don't like em I can probably sell them for a pretty penny
          I like the Ruger brand mags the best. How many Tapco mags do you want? I have plenty of new ones.

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
          This is why my next rifle will probably be a lever carbine in 357 or 41 mag.

And after shooting 41 mag, I see no need for 44 mag (at least for me). 357 is a pussycat compared to the 41. Shooting 9mm after 41 mag felt like 22LR. Shooting 22LR after, I had to verify the hole in the paper to know anything happened.

41mag is probably the worst I've anticipated shots and flinched in a long time. I now need to work on that some more (again).

I'm not sure why I never worry about rifle recoil or anticipate but some pistols.... wow.
          Rifles need to chambered in real rifle cartridges. Don't screw around with an in between.

A .41 Mag recoils hard? What do you weigh? 60 lbs?
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
            I like the Ruger brand mags the best. How many Tapco mags do you want? I have plenty of new ones.
            I bought 3 Tapco's at the show so I think I'm good for now. Thanks for the offer.

Comment

Rifles need to chambered in real rifle cartridges. Don't screw around with an in between.

Blah blah blah, we all know you're billybobbadasse's dad. I'm sure you can shoot one hole with a 44 mag (all 6 rounds) at 50 yards with one hand behind your back in 1.2 seconds with a snub nose double action only revolver. You can probably do it while fucking a goat at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                Blah blah blah, we all know you're billybobbadasse's dad. I'm sure you can shoot one hole with a 44 mag (all 6 rounds) at 50 yards with one hand behind your back in 1.2 seconds with a snub nose double action only revolver. You can probably do it while fucking a goat at the same time.
                I've never done all that while fucking a goat, save for a few models I don't like DAO revolvers, and don't like snubbies in .44 anything as a general rule.

You must have been shooting the 41 magnum Scandium alloy with a titanium cylinder experimental Smith & Wesson J frame that we all have never heard anything about.

I do shoot a ton of .41mag and .44mag but my 41s are all heavy ass Rugers or N frames. My 44s that I shoot are really big Rugers. I have a few Smith 44s and don't care much for them.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                  I have one my dad bought me when i was 8yo, he passed away a few years later so that gun is worth its weight in gold to me...i have put thousands of rounds into it over the years. Accuracy is decent until the barrel heats up and then its all over the place..they sell a barrel stabilizer for it that helps a lot
                  I hear ya man. I have a Kimber 1911 and a Taurus M85 snubbie in .38 Special that I bought my dad. I rarely sell guns (although I'll be selling a couple here shortly) but I'll never get rid of these two.

Comment

I eventually want one in .45-70 but will probably get one in a pistol caliber first just to have something in a matching revolver.

Comment

I got my 3 new Ruger mags in yesterday, guess I need to go shoot this thing soon. Being wood with a stainless barrel and receiver it is definitely less intimidating to look at than my black rifles. I also need to take my new M5 with me to the range and shoot it.

Comment

Took the Mini-14 out to a friends ranch Sunday in Sulphur Springs and put 90 rounds thru it with the Tapco Gen II magazines and it cycled perfectly with zero issues. Very little recoil and decently accurate using open sights at about 50 yards shooting at beer cans. I'm satisfied. Shoot me a PM about those mags..I might pick up a couple from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                          I eventually want one in .45-70 but will probably get one in a pistol caliber first just to have something in a matching revolver.
                          Get a 45-70 rifle and matching BFR
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                          X