If you had 100k to 200k to invest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you had 100k to 200k to invest

So if you didn't have a job and had a chunk of change to invest, what would you invest in? I'm looking for good business ideas. I may take another job, but the goal is to invest this in something that can make some income and keep growing so that I have something good to leave my wife and kids. I don't want to work for the man they way my dad did his entire life and then wind up poor. The 100k would be easy to come up with and the 200k I'd have to dip into reserves, and I'm not fond of that. They there is the IRA which I'd just rather not touch at all, but for a really good investment opportunity I just might.

I'd wait until late Q3 or early Q4 to see what happens when the extended unemployment expires and those stimulus checks (round 2) are pissed away.

Also, evictions can kick back in after July 25th and folks will have to start repaying their rent/mortgages.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      I'd wait until late Q3 or early Q4 to see what happens when the extended unemployment expires and those stimulus checks (round 2) are pissed away.

Also, evictions can kick back in after July 25th and folks will have to start repaying their rent/mortgages.
      I've been thinking about and worrying about that mortgage / rent deferral thing quite a while. I don't see how people that have been unemployed a long time are going to make up the amount owed when it comes due.

The good news is that I can easily ride this out with my reserves. I have friends working places where they are hiring too. I just expect it to be slower than normal to get hired due to the current state of the world. I'm actually taking some investing classes online in the meantime too.

I think you are right though, there is no reason to be hasty given the current situation.

Comment

I think we will see a good opportunity to buy low really soon. Thats why I'm holding steady right now.

On a marginally related note...I play with a lot of RC stuff and it's been sold out as soon as stimulus checks hit. I have been holding out on buying anything expensive because I expect the market to be flooded when reality hits.

Comment

what happened to all the other posts in here?

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
            what happened to all the other posts in here?
            It's in a different thread about blowing money...not investing

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              It's in a different thread about blowing money...not investing
              to-may-to, to-mah-to

Comment

I'd max out my employee priced Microsoft stock every year until I've invested it all.

Comment

Real Estate.

Comment

Man, that's not enough to start many businesses without a income behind it.

What do you like to do?

Comment

I'd start a Michelin 3 star restaurant...

Comment

Open a store front for my side business selling BBQ grills and accesories.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                          I'd start a Michelin 3 star restaurant...
                          I'm no world renowned chef and the restaurant business is a great way to lose everything.

Comment

After more thought, I'd buy cheap land then build a storage center on it.

Comment

I got a positive Covid test last week so I have been stuck at home. I have discovered that I like being "retired" and not doing shit. This morning I ran about four miles and then jumped right in my pool. It was glorious. With that in mind, I'd buy some blue chip shares and collect the ~3% dividend and not do shit.
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Originally posted by racrguy
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X