Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dyno'd the wife's new engine combo...yikes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyno'd the wife's new engine combo...yikes!

Well, she did it. She now has more HP than me again. We had Texas Speed build her a drysumped LS2 based 402 with worked LS6 heads, FAST intake and 92mm TB, new 1-7/8" headers, new Jerico 4spd and a new 9" ford rear axle. 6 months of taking up space on the lift! Took it to Gforce in Houston yesterday and while we didn't quite make our goal of 500rwhp, it did make 498.82 and 463.67 rwtq...Corrected. STD numbers were 510/475.

Had a nice flat torque curve and was a little weird driving it on the dyno and not using the clutch for the upshifts. Good day spent with the wife! I'll see if I can link a photo of the graph and a couple videos of the last two pulls.
    Last edited by aggie97; 04-22-2015, 09:41 PM.

Badass, going to be ready for TWS?
    That link didn't work for me btw.
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

lol, post link to facebook that only friends can see. Why not leave that shit on facebook?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
        Badass, going to be ready for TWS?
        That link didn't work for me btw.
        Didn't realize she made it private...only link I had to the picture. I'm too tired to post it up.

Tyler, a new TOB will arrive tomorrow and I'll toss the trans back in. Should be there friday shaking it down during the open track sessions and getting used to the Jerico. Will be running on scrubs and getting some time on the motor. It has about 10 heat cycles and 6 dyno pulls. I think she will like it.

Comment

Nice! I would love to try out a Jerico just to see how different it will be.

Comment

congrats man, hopefully she isn't as tough on parts as my wife. I think Rhonda learned to drive watching The Fall Guy.

Comment

so a little update on this new motor. first shortblock lasted 30 minutes. stacked a main bearing and trashed the block. NEW block and prep work and the new setup is a bit healthier probably in the 530rwhp range. Wife came up with the idea yesterday to abandon the camaro and move this engine/trans to the E36 we have a few threads down... Yep. It's retarded but how can I say no?! Goal is 2600# with driver. 530rwhp, 315/35/17's all around. Giggity. Maybe I'll have it complete by December 2017?!

Comment

doooo it.

Comment

Didn't think LS motors ever broke....that sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by slowturbocar View Post
                    Didn't think LS motors ever broke....that sucks.
                    Thrust bearing issue or heat issue. Hard to tell because the pressed in neck on the water pump also failed at the exact same time which lost all coolant mid lap. The autopsy couldn't determine if the bearing failed causing the heat, or the coolant failure caused the heat that ate the bearing. With 3 gallons of oil in the dry sump and the oil temp never going over 275 it's hard to tell...so pay the bill and move on. It never made noise, only saw slight dip in oil pressure but personally I think it was hurt from early on. Yay race engines.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                      Thrust bearing issue or heat issue. Hard to tell because the pressed in neck on the water pump also failed at the exact same time which lost all coolant mid lap. The autopsy couldn't determine if the bearing failed causing the heat, or the coolant failure caused the heat that ate the bearing. With 3 gallons of oil in the dry sump and the oil temp never going over 275 it's hard to tell...so pay the bill and move on. It never made noise, only saw slight dip in oil pressure but personally I think it was hurt from early on. Yay race engines.
                      Ive heard way too many stories of ls engines starving for oil on the track. non-priority oil FTL.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        Ive heard way too many stories of ls engines starving for oil on the track. non-priority oil FTL.
                        3 gallon dry sump...not starvation issue. I think the thrust bearing got damaged during harmonic damper install. had to lightly tap it on to get it started (I know...stupid, but it was ever so light touch) and it must have damaged the thrust bearing enough to shear the bearing key which allowed it to spin. Only other scenario is that the bearing clearance was too tight and the heat from the water loss swelled the bearing and caused it to spin.

Block made a new living room table for a friend to offset cost of the new block and crankshaft work!

Comment

Working...
                        X