Drones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drones!

I plan to take my FAA 107 test next week to get my "drone license" and it made me want to upgrade my equipment. Currently I have a phantom clone that's has the GPS, altitude hold and constant heading modes built in which I really like. I dont have FPV which I want.

I think I will use it for the following:

1 - filming Ariel's and ride along shots
    2 - exploring parks and outdoor areas
    3 - general Tom foolery.

Does anyone have any advice? Is the mavic 2 as good as it sounds? How about autel?

I was interested in the Mavic 2 enterprise because of the thermal...but I dont know what vis camera that comes with and I really like the regular mavic 2s 1" sensor.

Thanks for any input!

The Mavic 2 Enterprise Duel is cool but the thermal is pretty low resolution and quality. You have to be fairly low to get any use out of it. The attachments like the spotlight are useful but you will have to get a night waiver.

I like how quiet the Mavic 2 is compared to the Phantom line.

Comment

It’s amazing how easy it is to fly the Mavic drones.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
        The Mavic 2 Enterprise Duel is cool but the thermal is pretty low resolution and quality. You have to be fairly low to get any use out of it. The attachments like the spotlight are useful but you will have to get a night waiver.

I like how quiet the Mavic 2 is compared to the Phantom line.
        Good point on the thermal, I read something that made me think it was at least a 320x240 thermal detector...but I see it's the crappy 160x120.

Everything seems to point to the mavic 2. If they go on sale later this year I think thats what I'll go for

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          Good point on the thermal, I read something that made me think it was at least a 320x240 thermal detector...but I see it's the crappy 160x120.

Everything seems to point to the mavic 2. If they go on sale later this year I think thats what I'll go for
          It's better than nothing but definitely entry level compared to the XT for the Matrice. I fly the Dual at work and the Phantom 4 Pro at home.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
            It's better than nothing but definitely entry level compared to the XT for the Matrice. I fly the Dual at work and the Phantom 4 Pro at home.
            How do you like the phantom vs the dual (mavic based right?). Why do you do with it at work?

I've already got a thermal i could put on a drone but it's in the same ballpark as the 160x120 of the dual so I would just use that. I was hoping the drone had a 320x240 and better optics at least.

Comment

I like how quiet the Mavic is and how compact it is. But I think the picture quality of the P4P is better.

I'm LE so we will be flying for missing persons, searches, SWAT calls, scene documentation, etc. We just started the program so we are just doing training at the moment.

Comment

Took the test and got a 95% on the first try. Studied about 5 days in the evenings and on a flight.

Just ordered a mavic air because it was too good of a deal to pass up at Costco.

I cant wait!

Comment

I have a mavic pro, they are retarded easy to fly. I also fly race quads, THEY ARE A BIT HARDER.

Comment

My mavic is for sale

Comment

When you say easy to fly...what specifically makes it easier than other drones?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                        When you say easy to fly...what specifically makes it easier than other drones?
                        you are basically telling it where you want it to go and it goes there. you stop giving it inputs and it will sit there where ever you leave it until the battery gets low and it comes home and lands. it has obstacle avoidance, and as it takes off it uses a down facing camera to memorize the ground so it knows exactly where to come home to.

this was a whole night of racing we shot with the mavic. 3 batteries and a car charger was all it took. we didn't miss anything due to waiting on batteries.

some crashes and sketchy passes, no preps are always entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                          My mavic is for sale
                          How much?
                          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                          86 SVO - Sold
                          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I've got a Phantom 3 pro and 3 Advanced. Aside from being big and bulky, they're easy to fly in GPS mode. If you turn of the GPS modes it's easy to have them get away from you especially in high winds. The 4's with the collision avoidance are nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                              How much?
                              sold it yesterday. $700

Comment

Working...
                              X