Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.3 vs 5.4 vs 6.8 vs ?.?

Where to begin...

Last week we split the drive shaft in half on our 2000 F350 tow truck. This brings me to my current predicament, I can't necessarily justify pouring more money into this truck. After spending $670 at the Drive Shaft King, which btw I wouldn't recommend to anyone, they decided the rear end is bad and to blame for the drive shaft failure in the first place. Now this could be, but the rear end wasn't having any trouble before they replaced the pinion yoke... That's a story for another day! For now I need another rear end or at least a rebuild.

The truck in question has a 7.3 PSD in it and has been a good truck while I've owned it. Currently it could use a couple of injectors as it runs pretty bad until warm and my diesel tech told me an HPOP is in my near future. The truck has 500k miles on it and its getting tired, or maybe I'm getting tired of replacing stuff on it. It has a lot of new parts on it, but also has a lot of old stuff that continually creeps up on me. I hate to see this truck go, but it may be time.

I have another truck that is nearly identical to the above mentioned truck, but it's an '03 model with a 5.4L gas motor. I got a hell of a deal on this truck off of craigslist back in 2010. Sure this truck too has had its problems, but for the most part it has been a low cost work horse. The power isn't like the 7.3, but for around town (which is about 90% of my business) it does great. This truck gets roughly the same gas mileage in town as the diesel. Since fuel and maintenance are both cheaper on this truck, I have figured out that this truck is .20 cents a mile cheaper to operate than the diesel. Reliability wise, I would say this truck is actually a little more reliable than the diesel. Plus when it does leave you stranded some where every Autozone or O'Reilly's will have parts always in stock for it, which isn't always the case with the Powerstroke. Finally, the biggest plus of this truck is how quiet it is in all facets of the job. Driving it's quieter, creeping through apartment complexes at night is much easier, and my neighbors don't mind it as much. I find myself driving this truck more at night only because it is quieter than its diesel counterpart. The trade off for the quiet pleasure is driving stability. The gas rig can't haul a crew cab diesel F350 as easily. The front end tends to get a little light on this truck at times b/c it doesn't have the same weight of the diesel to keep it balanced. There are ways to compensate for this, but for the most part you just don't over load this truck and all is fine.

So now that I have made a long story longer, on to my question. I have been thinking that I would like to have a 6.8L crew cab F350 to replace the 7.3L single cab truck. I picked the 6.8L only because I have yet to see a crew cab F350 with a 5.4 in it (and probably under powered too). I can buy a cab and chassis and switch the wrecker bed over and save quite a bit over buying an already built truck. My concern is that I don't know much about the V10 motors. Obviously I know they are nothing more than a 5.4 with two extra cylinders, but that's about all I know. When I was in the oil change business, these motors had a bad name. This was in the early 2000s and the motors were new then and I can't honestly say that the reputation was deserved. I also know that we have towed a lot more 99+ diesel trucks than we have towed gas V8 or V10 trucks. I use that as a gauge in my head to justify maybe going that route. One thing I keep in mind is that there seems to be a lot more diesel trucks than gas trucks anyways.

I know the fuel consumption will be more than the 5.4, but I'm ok with that as long as the power is there and the MPG stays above 10. I know of one tow company in Arlington that has almost all V10 trucks that are 08 or newer.

Can someone on this board school me about the V10 6.8L? I'm looking for a truck that is 05 or newer and preferably a crew cab. The newer 6.2 might be an option if I can find a cab and chassis that is in my budget. I also haven't ruled out a GM 3500HD with a 6.0 b/c these trucks seem to get 12-14 MPG or better in some cases. I tend to lean towards Ford stuff as I am a bit of a nut hugger.
    Owner of Titan Towing

We have your towing needs covered!
    http://www.titantowing.net
    -------------------------------

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here to become a paid member!

From what you've stated the 6.8 sounds perfect. The newer the better, dont recall what but something changed after 07

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
      From what you've stated the 6.8 sounds perfect. The newer the better, dont recall what but something changed after 07
      I think they are now 3 valve motors and make more power.
      Owner of Titan Towing

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here to become a paid member!

Comment

Why not a 6.0 GM? We run 3/4 and 1 ton work trucks with the 6.0 for 200k+ with employees beating the shit out of them and they have proven to be pretty reliable platform.

Comment

Great thread! I think a lot of folks are re-thinking their truck strategy right now. I know I am. I want to hear about the Ford V10 and the Dodge hemi. That GM 6.0 might be worth a look too. Subscribing.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
            Why not a 6.0 GM? We run 3/4 and 1 ton work trucks with the 6.0 for 200k+ with employees beating the shit out of them and they have proven to be pretty reliable platform.
            The 6.0s are definitely in the conversation. I have not ruled them out b/c they seem to be reliable and honestly get better gas mileage than the V10.
            Owner of Titan Towing

Comment

I'm fixing to sell a single cab '01 F350 7.3l 6spd manual. One owner truck with 112k on it.

I'd pick the chevy 6.0 over the v10. Easier to work on, way more information on them out there, and they seem to be very reliable.
              I've always liked a good 7.3l, though. The 10 years my father has owned his, it has never had one issue. It has a mere 185k on it, but most of its duties are hauling boats and stock trailers, along with long hauls up North. Zero blow-by. The tuner, exhaust, and intake did wonders for this truck.
              Originally posted by Buzzo
              Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

If you are going for a V-10 look for 08+ with the 16mm spark plugs. The coils are brown instead of black. Or look for an older 2 valve version. The newer ones get better fuel economy and have more power obviously. Especially since they get a 5R110 instead of the 4R100.

GM had an 8.1 gas motor available in the light trucks until 07 and you could get it with an Allison. Personally I'd rather have that combination than a Ford V-10 but then again if the 6.0 has enough power go with it, their track record is more than proven. The newer trucks have a 6L90 trans as well, very reliable.

Forget a Hemi, they are garbage and if you actually use the truck the interior will look like you raised cattle in it after 200k miles. Great for driving the kids to soccer practice, terrible for actual work. There is a reason police departments are switching back to Fords and Chevys and it's engine failures.

Comment

I have an V10/3v 08' F250 4wd. I don't really tow, but I do put some weight in the bed.
                  I'm not sure if I have the brown coils or black ones, but I can check. I love the truck. It's an extended cab. Not my daily, but when I drive stop and go, I get 10-11. On highway I get around 13, 14 if I REALLY baby it. Whenever I tow my buddies 20ft boat, I get around 8-9.

Comment

Thanks for chiming in BP on that.

Get the 5R110w for sure. They are tough as nails.

In regards to the 6.0 gasser. I have personally towed with one of those and it was a slouch compared to a V10. I've never drove it, but I rode in a 01 V10 towing a heavily loaded cargo car hauler and it did the job just fine while averaging around 7 mpg.

Comment

Anybody else?
                      Owner of Titan Towing

Comment

I only turned wrenches at a ford house for a few months, but every 2v V-10 that came in for more than an oil change had a blown out spark plug. Yeah, time serts are easy enough, but why go down that road. I agree with BP about the GM 8.1/Allison, FWIW. I think it would suit your needs. They're kind of rare, though.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I just pulled the trigger on a 2011 F250 as a company truck. It's a 6.2l v8 with the new 6spd. It's great at towing, quiet, and gets respectable mileage. If you can find a good deal on one of those, or a 6.7l diesel, jump on it.
                          Originally posted by Buzzo
                          Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X