Tax Cut and Retirement Savings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Cut and Retirement Savings

Did the Tax Cut change anyone's retirement investing? Given that the Tax cuts expire in 10 years...does it make more sense to go heavy on Roth instead of maxing 401K?

All I know is that I'm in the market for a Cowskin Rug, bitches!
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I can't contribute anything to a ROTH without jumping through 100 hoops anyways so I haven't paid any mind to it. There's no telling what the tax system will look like in 20 years anyways.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I'm planning to win the lottery by the time I retire so I'm spending every penny I make.

It's either that or social security will carry me through my golden years...

Comment

I bought a bigger mattress to keep my money in.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
            I can't contribute anything to a ROTH without jumping through 100 hoops anyways so I haven't paid any mind to it. There's no telling what the tax system will look like in 20 years anyways.
            If you were a normal scrub like me...would you go Roth?

I would imagine the Tax situation in 20 years is going to be worse than the next 10. But am.i taking a way too simplistic approach to the tradeoff?

You have to treat me like the financial idiot I am and start from level 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              If you were a normal scrub like me...would you go Roth?

I would imagine the Tax situation in 20 years is going to be worse than the next 10. But am.i taking a way too simplistic approach to the tradeoff?

You have to treat me like the financial idiot I am and start from level 1.
              But why would it get worse in 20 years when it just got better? I believe over the last 35-40 years tax rates have continued to decrease.
              2006 Civic SI
              2009 Pilot
              1988 GT
              CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

It's easy to max out Roth. Max it and then go onto the next. Obviously invest in any matched money first. It's good to be diversified in tax deferred and accounts taxed now. Chances of our taxes being lower in retirement are slim to none. To pay for underfunded programs like social security and everything else the govt has to pay for... taxes are going up. The lower class will eventually get a standard basic income from the govt. The Republican party is really killing themselves right now and won't have near the support it should. Both sides are so interested in their own needs that they don't give a shit about the American people

Maintaining a balance of those during are a good idea. It will be nice to have some non taxable income during retirement. It will help overall lower your basis.

No fool proof way to go about it but lots of options.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                  But why would it get worse in 20 years when it just got better? I believe over the last 35-40 years tax rates have continued to decrease.
                  Because the Trump tax cuts expire in 10 years.

Edit: And your belief about tax rates dropping depends on a whole lot of factors with income level being a big driver.

Comment

I’d be careful taking financial advice around here! If a van down by the river sounds like your cup of tea then go ahead!

Comment

If you are smart you will be taking minimum withdrawals in retirement, putting that money, once taxed, right back into the same stock and then living off of a dividend that is taxed at 15 or 20% after one year. Between that income and money from day trading options I hope I’ll be set.
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Max out both

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          Did the Tax Cut change anyone's retirement investing? Given that the Tax cuts expire in 10 years...does it make more sense to go heavy on Roth instead of maxing 401K?
                          Shoot me a pm with your contact info and we can give you a call and give you a couple suggestions or recommendations. No obligation to make any investment or anything like that with our company. We're a little limited on what advise we give out on a public forum.

Tdominguez@allstate.com
                          Text 214.244.1043

-Tony
                          Allstate Insurance
                          Dominguez Agency
                          1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
                          Arlington, TX. 76018
                          817-405-2011
                          tdominguez@allstate.com
                          Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!

Comment

not sure what he is going to suggest and no offense to him but don't even consider doing an insurance policy as an investment until you done major progress on your Roth and 401.

Comment

Max both. It's only 23.5kper year.

Comment

Working...
                              X