Comment

Originally posted by cman7482 View Post
      I say go with one of these or both.

Not no, but hell no.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by momo View Post
        fuck scotch. drink bourbon.
        Or appreciate their differences and love both.

Originally posted by Silverback
        The garrison brothers distillery in Hyde Texas released its two year aged that I have three bottles of. It's very early corn whiskey and very corny and reminds me a lot of moonshine. But they don't plan on releasing their final product until the five year mark.

Have you had, or even heard of, Rebecca Creek Whiskey? Same distillery that makes Enchanted Rock Vodka.

Ison and Cameron modeled their Rebecca Creek Fine Texas Whiskey after Crown Royal, which is a Canadian product that blends 50 whiskies. They wanted to make a sipping whiskey and were unhappy that the most popular blended whiskey is from Canada."

"At the core of the proprietary recipe for the blended whiskey is an 8-year-old domestic bourbon — most likely from Kentucky, though they didn't specify — distilled with a neutral-grain spirit in small batches and matured in charred oak barrels."

Or Ranger Creek? They are doing 9 month aged batches in smaller barrels (better wood:liquid ratio, they say) near San Antonio.

"Ranger Creek buys Texas sweet corn and mashes it at the distillery; fermentation takes place in barrels that are housed inside a shipping container that sits in the sun."

The dichotomy of an old Kentucky rickhouse and a shipping container kinda turns me off of this new one as I think part of the allure of bourbon for me is the history and tradition... but I still want to try it.

Comment

I read a little about the Rebecca Creek, but I'm not a big fan of blended whiskeys. I'll drink crown if someone else has it, or I buy a bottle just to get the fancy felt covered flask. But it's too sweet for me, or something.

Blended whiskeys remind me of the "suicide" drinks we made as kids, where we put every coke product into the same cup. I think you miss a lot of what each distiller meant for their whiskey to taste like when you blend a bunch together. Al

I'll look around at Spec's and see what they have. I hadn't heard about the Ranger Creek. The oldest aging possible on any whiskey distilled directly in Texas is 2-3 years, since that's when the laws for distilling whiskey changed. A lot of the credit goes to the guys at Tito's Vodka for all the work they did getting the laws changed.

Comment

Crown and Jack Daniels in a connoisseur's thread? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Scotch has too many different tiers and variances in each tier to ever get completely written off. I have a remake of Mackinlay's Old Rare from 1907 that is definitely the best Scotch I have ever had, but I seriously doubt I have even covered 2% of all the offerings of that fine elixir.

I am a Bourbon man, but a fine Scotch is something to behold.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
              Crown and Jack Daniels in a connoisseur's thread? What the fuck is wrong with you?
              I drink a fuckload of both, but they are only intended to be "get shitty by drinking copious amounts" drinks. Definitely not high end sipping whiskeys.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I'd like to see a poll in here.

How do you drink your whiskey?
                1. Neat
                2. Dash of water
                3. One or two ice cubes
                4. On the rocks (glass of ice)
                5. Mixed with water
                6. Mixed with soft-drink
                7. Other? (with explanation)

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

Irish - i.e. Jameson, I like with ginger ale, the two together are a perfect combo

Cheap stuff - with diet coke, kills any awful oversweetness, etc.

Anything above $50/bottle - couple of ice cubes (been looking for whiskey stones), and a splash of bottled water, not tap.

Comment

1. Neat
                    2. Dash of water
                    3. One or two ice cubes
                    5. Mixed with water
                    6. Mixed with soft-drink
                    One of the top 5, depending on what I'm wanting at the time.

EDIT: In the hot summer months I will get a Mint Julep or Maker's Mark with a splash of Ginger Ale or Sprite Zero.

Comment

I'd say makers is the best for the money.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

1. Neat
                        2. Dash of water
                        3. One or two ice cubes
                        5. Mixed with water
                        6. Mixed with soft-drink

Depends entirely on the whiskey. Crown, Jack, or Jameson is mixed. Good whiskey I like with an ice cube or two.

I just don't drink fine whiskey often, because I drink so much, it's literally throwing money away. I occasionally will keep a bottle on hand that I sneak a glass or two out of, then switch to power drinking. But when you drink like I do, I simply can't afford to go baller whiskey 100% of the time.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          Depends entirely on the whiskey. Crown, Jack, or Jameson is mixed. Good whiskey I like with an ice cube or two.

I just don't drink fine whiskey often, because I drink so much, it's literally throwing money away. I occasionally will keep a bottle on hand that I sneak a glass or two out of, then switch to power drinking. But when you drink like I do, I simply can't afford to go baller whiskey 100% of the time.
                          This is pretty much exactly what I do. I usually mix with diet 7 up or sprite zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                            Irish - i.e. Jameson, I like with ginger ale, the two together are a perfect combo

Cheap stuff - with diet coke, kills any awful oversweetness, etc.

Anything above $50/bottle - couple of ice cubes (been looking for whiskey stones), and a splash of bottled water, not tap.
                            I dont have any (thanks for the reminder) but a friend of mine got a set of these from his dad and loooooves them: www.stonechilled.com

In the hot summer months I will get a Mint Julep or Maker's Mark with a splash of Ginger Ale or Sprite Zero.
                            Damn, really? I've never been able to enjoy a mint julep. A Manhattan, maybe... but I would never do well at the Kentucky Derby lol

Comment

I absolutely positively cannot mix whiskey with anything. It's either straight, or it's completely repulsive.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I dont have any (thanks for the reminder) but a friend of mine got a set of these from his dad and loooooves them: www.stonechilled.com

Thanks, I'll pass that on to the girlfriend, she wanted to get me a set for Christmas, but didn't know what kind, or where to get them. I told her it might be a little late now

But I'll send this link to her to look at.

Comment

Working...
                                X