DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Pumpin' Iron

Pumpin' Iron Forum for any kind of work out discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #41
The King
Lifer
 
The King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Junk View Post
I've heard now that LDL levels aren't as important as triglycerides. I don't know what to believe at this point. Goal is to just have everything at acceptable levels.
I think that you are correct, in that high LDL levels in and of themselves are not necessarily bad and that it also depends on the type and size of the LDL particles. My own experience was that LDL levels initially rose during the first six months of ketosis and then subsequently dropped afterward, while triglyceride levels dropped within that first six months and stayed that way. HDL levels rose during that time and have remained steady ever since.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #42
Gasser64
Lifer
 
Gasser64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
Sounds like something a fool might try.
Lots of people have, but its pretty risky. You can't get hot or you die. Also you gotta get the dosage right or you die. But the risk/reward is balanced. You'll lose most of the fat you want to in very short order.
__________________
WAAAH HAAAA!!!
Gasser64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #43
4bangen
©4bangen©
VIP Member
 
4bangen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
Lots of people have, but its pretty risky. You can't get hot or you die. Also you gotta get the dosage right or you die. But the risk/reward is balanced. You'll lose most of the fat you want to in very short order.
F that! I will just stick with slowly shrinking safely.
4bangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #44
The King
Lifer
 
The King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
Lots of people have, but its pretty risky. You can't get hot or you die. Also you gotta get the dosage right or you die. But the risk/reward is balanced. You'll lose most of the fat you want to in very short order.
I preferred to invest my time to do it right (for me) and make it a lifestyle change. Adding in another "dosage" of anything would have been the opposite of one of the things I was trying to accomplish, which was to eliminate the need for as many Rx meds as possible.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #45
krazy kris
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,156
Default

My wife and I have been doing keto this week and my daily carb intake has been at most 15 total. All I drank was water. Are a fried egg in the morning, salad at lunch, and steak and broccoli for dinner. Was going great until last night I drove 4 hours to look at a boat and skipped lunch I pulled into a Walmart to pick up more lures while I was out that way and when I came out I couldn't find my truck for 45 minutes. I never do that I always know right where I parked and I was dizzy and had a terrible headache. I made a stop by burger king and ate a burger and it totally wrecked my keto groove.
krazy kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #46
KBScobravert
Lifer
VIP Member
 
KBScobravert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niger
Posts: 14,334
Default

Doing keto aband being in ketosis are not the same. You probably felt that way from running out if stored glucose.

Test urine on keto strips. Odds are after a week of eating a ketogenic diet you may not have been in ketosis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
__________________
Fuck you. We're going to Costco.
KBScobravert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #47
no4njnk
Lifer
 
no4njnk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,260
Default

I think most people see the good idea fairy and just cut carbs without doing the research. To truly be in ketosis takes 1-6 months depending on the person.

Sodium is your friend on keto, if you are dizzy or feel sick you have what they call the keto flu. Upping your sodium helps. Be sure to count your macros at first to make sure you are eating enough as well, this is a mistake as well.
no4njnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #48
4bangen
©4bangen©
VIP Member
 
4bangen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,255
Default

207 as of this morning. slow and steady.
4bangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #49
DON SVO
The Bad
VIP Member
 
DON SVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Post Production Screening Room
Posts: 23,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangen View Post
207 as of this morning. slow and steady.
Right on man!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenCobra
I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtuckteezy
dont downshift!!
Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.
DON SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #50
krazy kris
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,156
Default

Any of y'all get prostate issues from this? I was walking through the grocery store and it felt like someone kicked the hell out of me in my taint and it was really sharp pains making it hard to walk for the rest of the time. I didn't know what the hell it was and my cousin called me and I told him about it and he said it's your prostate. He said he has been dealing with it for the last 20 years. Everything I've searched says it's actually supposed to be good for the prostate. I got home and ate a sammich and about 30 minutes later I was golden.
krazy kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #51
The King
Lifer
 
The King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,602
Default

None here whatsoever. I take a saw palmetto supplement daily though to (hopefully) prevent any issues. PSA levels have remained fine for the past 5-10 years too, with the last 6-7 of those while living low-carb.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #52
Gasser64
Lifer
 
Gasser64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,338
Default

Any of yall ever considered just fasting the weight off and not worry about all these diets and shit? Some guy fasted for over a year and was fine. That is, he did not eat anything for a full year. However, he was over 400 lbs, so his body ate all that fat instead. You have to keep your electrolytes up with salt. You also need potassium and magnesium. If you get those right you're good. Its also muscle sparing, so all that stuff about losing muscle on a fast is just a myth. That comes at the end of the fast, if you've got no fat left for your body to eat. Then it will eat the muscle, but its got a handy trick for that. You get hungry again.

It shuts off the hunger hormone (gretin?) after 2 or 3 days of fasting. Then it eats fat, until all the fat is gone. Then, it turns the hunger hormone back on. That is when it will start to eat muscle, but you just break the fast and then that never happens. You'll know you're done fasting when you can see your stomach muscles, and you're getting hungry again. I'm thinking about doing it to ditch this last 20lbs I need to lose. It also has a great many other health benefits, apparently.

__________________
WAAAH HAAAA!!!
Gasser64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #53
ceyko
Lifer
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,722
Default

There is a lot of different types of fasting with keto. I like my steaks and stuff to do much more than IF. Some do 24 hour fasts and longer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #54
The King
Lifer
 
The King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
Any of yall ever considered just fasting the weight off and not worry about all these diets and shit? Some guy fasted for over a year and was fine. That is, he did not eat anything for a full year. However, he was over 400 lbs, so his body ate all that fat instead. You have to keep your electrolytes up with salt. You also need potassium and magnesium. If you get those right you're good. Its also muscle sparing, so all that stuff about losing muscle on a fast is just a myth. That comes at the end of the fast, if you've got no fat left for your body to eat. Then it will eat the muscle, but its got a handy trick for that. You get hungry again.

It shuts off the hunger hormone (gretin?) after 2 or 3 days of fasting. Then it eats fat, until all the fat is gone. Then, it turns the hunger hormone back on. That is when it will start to eat muscle, but you just break the fast and then that never happens. You'll know you're done fasting when you can see your stomach muscles, and you're getting hungry again. I'm thinking about doing it to ditch this last 20lbs I need to lose. It also has a great many other health benefits, apparently.
Speaking only for myself, what I do is not a "diet" in any shape or form. I eat as much or as little as I choose, and pretty much buy off the shelf items available in any store. No special foods, shakes, or pills required. I simply read labels, avoiding virtually anything with added refined sugar, and have done this long enough now that I already know which brands, etc. that I want or don't want. The cliche' about preferentially buying only from the perimeter of a grocery store is largely valid, but there are of course exceptions. My bloodwork results have been stellar for at least the past five years, and weight remains stable which my knees especially thank me for.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #55
Gasser64
Lifer
 
Gasser64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Some do 24 hour fasts and longer.
According to that guy 24 hours plus is the only way to go. A month or more if you're a fatass. Says you don't have to fuck around with keto strips or getting anything just right, or worry about the details of some diet. It just forces you right into full keto immediately. I like the simplicity, after reading all the endless info on keto.

You just fast, and you drink salt water with potassium and magnesium in it. Obviously in the correct amounts so you don't get any issues, but the right amounts are easily obtainable. When I first starting doing 24 hour fasts off and on, I'd get light headed and almost feel high. Not quite but nearly. And my brain wouldn't think good. Turns out that is the salt. I drink the salt water now, and whatdaya know that doesn't happen anymore.
__________________
WAAAH HAAAA!!!
Gasser64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #56
4bangen
©4bangen©
VIP Member
 
4bangen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
Speaking only for myself, what I do is not a "diet" in any shape or form. I eat as much or as little as I choose, and pretty much buy off the shelf items available in any store. No special foods, shakes, or pills required. I simply read labels, avoiding virtually anything with added refined sugar, and have done this long enough now that I already know which brands, etc. that I want or don't want. The cliche' about preferentially buying only from the perimeter of a grocery store is largely valid, but there are of course exceptions. My bloodwork results have been stellar for at least the past five years, and weight remains stable which my knees especially thank me for.
I don't even feel like I'm on a diet anymore. I just don't eat things I know are bad for me. We eat pretty damn well too, but the biggest surprise to me is I'm actually saving money at the grocery store. I can't wait to be under 200lb. its been 10 years since that's happened.
4bangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #57
The King
Lifer
 
The King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,602
Default

The term diet to me often implies some sort of deprivation, especially in the manner posters such as @Gasser64 use it in this thread. If I'm deprived someone must have forgotten to tell me along the way. One trade off though is the time factor, it does take more time to prepare meals from largely unprocessed ingredients, as opposed to getting it out of a box or from a styro clamshell handed out of a drive-thru window.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #58
ceyko
Lifer
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,722
Default

Yeah, to each their own - 3 months has flown by and I barely noticed other than a steady decline in my weight and increase in energy. If I maintain 1-3 lbs a week being lost - and not hungry, I'm one happy dude.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #59
Gasser64
Lifer
 
Gasser64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
The term diet to me often implies some sort of deprivation, especially in the manner posters such as @Gasser64 use it in this thread.
Do you mean that the people talking are implying that they are deprived? Or when you hear the word "diet" that you feel like you'd be deprived if you had to adhere to a diet?
__________________
WAAAH HAAAA!!!
Gasser64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #60
The King
Lifer
 
The King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14,602
Default

The word "diet", where often something the dieter may really like has to be sacrificed in order to adhere to some plan. Take fast food for instance...I do not partake of it mainly because I have no control over the ingredients and, most importantly, to me it generally tastes like slop. Not because a diet plan says I can't have it or shouldn't have it.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
buncha fatasses upinhurra, kimura bjj diet plans, kimura ok w/ fatness, you fat bastards

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.