Possible school security solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uwishuknew View Post
    We have security. 5 full time staff. Also have a parking lot attendant who sits in a tower and watches EVERYTHING that goes on outside. But - I'm at a Pre-K thru 12th grade Charter School in Oak Cliff. So we don't have a school resource officer, and since we're not part of DISD, they can spend their money on that.
    Prime Prep Academy?
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I think school resource officers are good enough. DISD has a police department. Plano had some sort of security type deal set up years ago. They hired people just for security. I think they did away with it?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
        So...cops could potentially be on campus from 11:30 to 1? And then the security for the rest of the school time is...where?
        Donut shop.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

My job has me going to a lot of the Oak Cliff schools. All the high schools and middle schools have police officers, walk thru metal detectors, security cameras, and a majority have an adult hall monitor that also watches the doors. All of the elem and several of the middle schools have buzzers that are needed to open the doors.

I'm not sure what more security is needed unless they want to add some sort of drones, or ED-209

Comment

I think there are more than enough parents that would be willing to take a class and get certified to carry on campus to patrol it to ensure their kids are safe. Net cost? Zero.
            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              I think there are more than enough parents that would be willing to take a class and get certified to carry on campus to patrol it to ensure their kids are safe. Net cost? Zero.
              Just the litigation cost of a non employee firing a weapon on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                Just the litigation cost of a non employee firing a weapon on campus.
                Versus the litigation costs of a shooter walking in and gunning everyone down. You have a training class with proficiency test and education on when to shoot/not shoot. I know I'd take the class to watch over the little ones as they learn at my son's school.

Comment

Versus the litigation costs of a shooter walking in and gunning everyone down. You have a training class with proficiency test and education on when to shoot/not shoot. I know I'd take the class to watch over the little ones as they learn at my son's school.
                  Not no but hell no! LOL
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    Not no but hell no! LOL
                    Lmao
                    Originally posted by davbrucas
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                      I think we'll start seeing stuff like this, pretty soon:
                      http://www.copsync.com/how_it_works.html
                      The Copsync 911 system for schools is a joke. And not a funny one either. It puts an icon on the computer in every teacher's classroom. Cool, you're thinking. Until you remember that quite a few teachers don't have the foggiest notion of when to actually USE the damn thing. Fight in the hallway? Punch the button. Timmy yells an obscenity at the teacher? Punch the button. Copsync alerts every officer within five miles but there's no way to let the officers know what kind of emergency there is. So everybody responds balls to the wall thinking they've got an active shooter. After about five BS calls, the officers stop taking it seriously. Copsync 911 costs over $1200 per year, per campus. The Copsync salesman keeps calling me, trying to sell it to me and I keep telling him it doesn't do what I need it to do and it's about five times too expensive.

Plus Copsync ONLY works if the law enforcement agency is also equipped with the police version of Copsync (which isn't really all that great of a system to begin with and is hella expensive) in their cars. I use it daily and it's just nowhere as good as the simple CAD systems most of the DFW departments use.

The free lunch thing is just funny. Most cops don't want to eat shitty school food OR hang out in the vomitorium with 500 screaming kids. You can only deal with the class clown making donut jokes or throwing his hands up and screaming the same old tired lines ("I didn't do it!!!" or "Don't shoot!!!") that their grandfathers used before it gets to be more of a whipping than its worth.

Just my .02

Comment

Totally valid, JP.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          Not no but hell no! LOL
                          I'm pretty sure my training and experience trumps security guard and most police officers who aren't ex military.

If you have a choice between an infantryman watching over a school to make sure bad things don't happen and a security officer who spends his day riding a golf cart and eating donuts while yelling at kids for scuffing the hallways with their shoes, who are you going to go for? Especially given that the guy who is trained to react to gunfire instead of panic has a massively expensive training program shoved into his head and is willing to be there free of charge, minus cafeteria lunch?

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                            Totally valid, JP.
                            I re-read my post. I wasn't coming down on you at all. That system seems like a perfect solution (which is what the company depends on) and in theory it is. In practice it's just about worthless.

Comment

I'm pretty sure my training and experience trumps security guard and most police officers who aren't ex military.

If you have a choice between an infantryman watching over a school to make sure bad things don't happen and a security officer who spends his day riding a golf cart and eating donuts while yelling at kids for scuffing the hallways with their shoes, who are you going to go for? Especially given that the guy who is trained to react to gunfire instead of panic has a massively expensive training program shoved into his head and is willing to be there free of charge, minus cafeteria lunch?
                              Because... crazy?

Comment

No one see the other obvious? Cool, secure lunch time (maybe) - so these would just happen in the mornings and afternoons.

As mentioned, there is plenty of security at these schools. Even schools with only 3 sites have 2 officers. Lancaster and others have a hell of a lot more. We can't throw money at piss poor parenting and expect results.

Based off what I've seen, more "security' makes the school more prison like to me. I know security thinks they are doing their jobs, but it sure seems like they are conditioning the kids towards being institutionalized (sp?).

This is another sore point for me, since those goofballs can carry - yet I can not do so. Especially when I'm still on-site working with the dealers/hoodlums around and they are at home doing whatever they do.
                                Originally posted by MR EDD
                                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                                X