Making Jerking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Jerking

Anyone in here make beef jerky? I've been doing it for a while, but I need seem to get that full flavor I'm after. I think it may be because I'm not marinating long enough. Usually I marinate for about 3-4 days. How long does everyone marinate?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

I usually wait until about the 13th Robertson's sign on the side of the highway before my mouth gets to watering.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I'm have not nailed mine either - but I found more salt/seasoning salt (more salt) tends to bring out whatever flavor I'm working on better. How are you smoking/dehydrating it?
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
        I'm have not nailed mine either - but I found more salt/seasoning salt (more salt) tends to bring out whatever flavor I'm working on better. How are you smoking/dehydrating it?
        I'm using some of the nesco spicy mix which I really like the flavor of. I marinate them for about 2-3 days or so, then run them at 160* in a nesco dehydrator
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

FWIW, I was thinking this thread was going to be about Jamaican food.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I bet you did, puff puff pass, playa...
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I'm not familiar with that mix, but I switched from using a dehydrator to my smoker - low heat on the cool side. Made a big difference. I also keep water in there since I'm not trying to make it dry - just smoke the cure...or something like that.

Like I said, I'm not great either. However, those things (more salt, smoking, and more moisture) helped mine quite a bit when I do it.

Now, over smoking it sucks. Depending, they'll get smoked 4-8 hours at probably 140-160 degrees. This year I'm going to build a smoke house for this purpose and for fish - that'll be an even better smoke for it.

Comment

I made sure this thread wasn't started by unicorn Jeff before I clicked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  I usually wait until about the 13th Robertson's sign on the side of the highway before my mouth gets to watering.
                  I live near the one in Salado and haven't ever been. Then again I've never seen more than a couple of cars there either.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                    I live near the one in Salado and haven't ever been. Then again I've never seen more than a couple of cars there either.
                    its not worth it, but after 20 something signs, you start to think it sounds like a good idea.

Comment

I can get about 2 lbs of jerky done in about 4 hours, so it goes pretty quick, just depends on thick I slice the meat. What kind of meat do you guys use? I'm using round steak, whatever is leanest.

Comment

Whatever I have laying around.

Comment

brisket.

Comment

What are you making it from? And are you doing whole muscle or ground?

Do yourself a favor and go find some highmountain seasoning kits. I add a little pepper to it and follow the directions. People beg me for my jerky.

I slice mine on a jerky board as thin as I can get it. A board takes the hassle out of slicing the meat up and you get more consistent slices.

Btw I prefer the hickory and mesquite blends.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                              What are you making it from? And are you doing whole muscle or ground?

Do yourself a favor and go find some highmountain seasoning kits. I add a little pepper to it and follow the directions. People beg me for my jerky.

I slice mine on a jerky board as thin as I can get it. A board takes the hassle out of slicing the meat up and you get more consistent slices.

Btw I prefer the hickory and mesquite blends.
                              Jerky board? What is this sorcery!

Comment

Working...
                              X