Calling to follow up an application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always do follow ups.
    But it doesn't do any good either way,my opinion.
    Just had an interview and they said they would call me by the end of the week to let me know on what the decide. So I waited and called on the following Monday,I get some bogus excuse from the assistant HR guy, he says his boss wasn't in and that he would have her call me.
    I waited till the next day, no call from the main HR lady.
    So I call, I finally get in touch with the main HR lady. I ask her if they had found a candidate for the position? She says yeah
    So I ask her, are y'all running back ground checks and looking for the best candidate? Pretty much.
    I also said,so its like the best out of 5 and thats the one you pick.
    She says, legally can't tell you anymore!
    She said she would call me by the end of the day Friday to let me know something.
    I said ok thanks.
    NO CALL ON FRIDAY!!
    I'm like WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
      Follow up after an application? Absolutely not in my world. Who knows, maybe it's okay in other fields.
      what is your world?

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
        Follow up after an application? Absolutely not in my world. Who knows, maybe it's okay in other fields.

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
        what is your world?

The land of oz

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
          what is your world?
          Asset management.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
            I submitted online but it's for a smaller company, at least that's what I'm gathering.
            I bet this practice would work best with a smaller company. I say go for it.
            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I have to let them know I got another offer but would rather work for them. It puts them under the gun to look over your resume again and determine if you're a fit for them. They ended up giving me an offer that I took.

Comment

Calling once a week was no problem for me. While working at Daystar a father would call relentlessly for a position for his son to the point of going groupie, waiting at the back door and slipped in when it was opened, came straight into my office (no idea how he knew where I was) and started pleading with me. Quick call to security and he was bounced. Kept calling even after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
                  Sounds good. So if I call and don't get you (leave a VM), then follow up with an email 3 or 4 days later would that be alright?

I don't think that would be excessive, but as you can see from the various replies, everyone that does hiring has different expectations. Just use your best judgement with whatever vibe you got from the place.

The thing about it is, that it isn't like there is a policy at companies about this, so you've got whatever person, be they accommodating and helpful, or collecting a paycheck and not wanting to be annoyed, that you're going to have to deal with. It can be like walking a tightrope. And with the economy and jobs in the shitter, it can bring out weird behaviors and expectations from both the employer and prospective employees. Good luck either way.

Comment

Working...
                  X