Calling to follow up an application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling to follow up an application?

I thought it was standard but after reading online apparently it's frowned upon.

Do you call to follow up? If so, how long do you wait after submitting an application?

If you're on the hiring side of things what do you think about people who call in?

Thanks.
    An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Depends on the situation really. Big companies, probably not. If you submitted a paper application yes, if you apply online, probably not.

Comment

I always have followed up afterwards. The timeline depends on what was said during the interview. But don't listen to me, I haven't been in the job market in 7+ years. Surely things have changed a bit.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I submitted online but it's for a smaller company, at least that's what I'm gathering.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

I (as an employer) dont want someone calling me following up to see if I am interested in setting up an interview with them. IMO, if you dont hear from a prospective employer for an interview, that means they are not interested.
          2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
          Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
          Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
          Speedlogix Catch Can
          Resonator Delete

Comment

If I happened to get a card from the interviewer, I'd send a follow up email. I'm sure they are busy and I would guess that unless they are expecting a call back, they'd probably let it roll to voicemail. If you call the receptionist and they get a hold of the hiring manager, you may be interupting something important. An email can be read at their convenience and replied to if they desire.

edit** I just reread what you're asking and noticed you said follow up to an application...then the answer is no. I wouldn't call. If they want to interview you, they'll call you.

Comment

I don't mind one follow up call; it shows me you're actually interested in the job. Don't call me eight fucking times though. I did have a guy that would call me once a week to see if I had any thing open. When I finally did, I interviewed him and sent in the background check. It was returned with "Felonious theft from human corpse or grave." some strange people out there. I'm interviewing a guy this afternoon that I probably wouldn't have called on if he hadn't called me to follow up.

Comment

I've got most of my jobs in my life by calling a few days after submitting my app and resume. it let's then know you're truly interested and not just throwing your resume to everybody. Employers are getting flooded with applications and resumes. It makes you stand out.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  I don't mind one follow up call; it shows me you're actually interested in the job. Don't call me eight fucking times though. I did have a guy that would call me once a week to see if I had any thing open. When I finally did, I interviewed him and sent in the background check. It was returned with "Felonious theft from human corpse or grave." some strange people out there. I'm interviewing a guy this afternoon that I probably wouldn't have called on if he hadn't called me to follow up.
                  This right here. I would err on this side if it were me. It is better to show some interest and initiative than to sit on the sidelines and hope. However, if the company has an online resume/app submission system and they are a decent size company (# of employees) then there may not be a way to talk to the hiring manager/recruiter. I'm finding this is VERY common with most all of the jobs I've applied for, the most recent being Boeing.

I work in retail management. We are always taking applications, but we aren't always hiring. Those long periods between new hires, applications get forgotten. Some hiring managers will ask you to give them a call every so often, or even give an indication of personnel changes that are about to happen.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Sounds good. So if I call and don't get you (leave a VM), then follow up with an email 3 or 4 days later would that be alright?

-Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
                      Sounds good. So if I call and don't get you (leave a VM), then follow up with an email 3 or 4 days later would that be alright?
                      Yes

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                        Yes
                        Solid. I called and left a VM. After thinking about it I probably shouldn't have so I could call back and speak in person, but it is what it is. I'll email midweek next week to touch base.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

I see Tailisman getting ALOT of call's today.
                          2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
                          Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
                          Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
                          Speedlogix Catch Can
                          Resonator Delete

Comment

Did you dress slutty, gotta play the game, it's a mans world honey

Comment

Follow up after an application? Absolutely not in my world. Who knows, maybe it's okay in other fields.
                              Originally posted by davbrucas
                              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
                              X