Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever owned a Motor Trend Car of the Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever owned a Motor Trend Car of the Year?

If you ever had a '94 Mustang you have.

I went down the rabbit hole on this, and there is a crazy mix of great and terrible cars.

1974 Mustang II
    1981 Chrysler K Cars
    2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

I personally have had 2.

1993 Ford Probe GT: Slower than it should have been, but handled great and looked cool for the time (sweet ass interior). Unfortunately, engineered to fall apart over time. I only had mine 2 years, bought new.

2003 Infiniti G35: Fantastic car. Almost wish I still had it, even being 17 years old. Also too slow, but damn was it fun.

One: 2016 Camaro 2SS. I loved that car.
    Ford
    GM
    Toyota
    VAG

Comment

Almost, 1967 Cougar was COTY, i have a 68.

Comment

it might be Car of the Year but allot of those cars are crap and didn't last

Comment

I had just bought my '94 T-bird SC, so I had to wait a few years before I bought my SN95, but I was already reading about the 4v mill coming out so I waited til early 96 to try and buy new Cobra, but no Mystics were available and by the time I went to get one, I could only find that ugly green one with tan interior so in late I ordered '96 to my SVT '97 Mustang Cobra.
          Originally posted by Silverback
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I owned 3 , a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, Thunderbird SC, and a 70 Torino with 351C 4V.

The only one of them that I owned anywhere close to the time it was the car of the year was the Thunderbird SC.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Turbocoupe, super coupe and a few 94 GTs

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                it might be Car of the Year but allot of those cars are crap and didn't last
                For sure. The only thing I can think, especially with the three I originally listed, is that they may be crappy cars in hindsight, they were hugely impactful for their time. Many say that the K car saved Chrysler (along with the minivan), the Mustang II was a huge seller and a perfect fit for the gas crisis of the 70's, and the PT Cruiser was a cultural phenomenon at the time. Even if it was a piece of shit.

Comment

Boy, like said above, there are some real pieces of crap in that list. No COTY for me, but I do own a ‘18 F150, so 1 TOTY.
                  sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                  17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                  13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                  86 SVO - Sold
                  '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                  01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                  65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Funny thing...my sisters first car was Motor Trend's car of the year when it came out in 1976 and then the following year I believe it got Lemon of the year. A 1976 Dodge Aspen with the 318. Was a fairly good looking car for its time...but holy hell what a pile of shit it was.

Comment

Can we really trust any list with a Mustang II on it......

Comment

My wife’s SUV made the SUV list in 2016; Volvo XC90.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                          1971 was the Chevy Vega

Comment

Well, that’s the thing. It wasn’t necessarily a bad car as mid-70’s cars go. It was just so neutered and not as attractive when compared to earlier Mustangs that it hasn’t fared well in retrospect. They sold a ton of them and once again, were a good fit for a time when everyone was dumping big cube muscle cars due to fuel prices and availability.

It was the right car for the time, but the whole car industry was in a bad place back then.

Comment

You can thank The Mustang II and its designers for allowing the Mustang to stay alive thru the 70's and eventually lead to the Fox body...because like or not...it was the best selling Mustang Ford ever built to this day.

Comment

Working...
                              X