Should I sell the toy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T-TOPPS5.0 View Post
    If you havent touched it in 2 months, how do you ride almost every day year round?.......... Just busting your chops. I however ride every day, and that means rain or shine. Only time I dont is if there is ice on the road. Temperature is never a factor.

Though I respect your wanting to hang it up with a baby on the way, but do you think its safer on dirt? Just curious because a good friend of mine did what you say your wanting to do, and he literally broke his neck riding dirt bikes. He was in a halo for months. They both have their dangers.

PS... I do have kids so I know what its like to make these decisions based on kids.
    The bike has a dead battery and I let that be my excuse to see if I could handle not riding it every day. It's been roughly two months since I took it out and I'm oddly content. I don't panic at the thought of riding in the rain, but I don't leave the house on it if it's already raining.

Is dirt safer? That's debatable. I've ridden on the street since 01/1998 and have never been down, never been hurt. With the crazy amount of time I spent at the street races, riding wheelies, pulling high triple digit speeds on the highway in my early years, I should be dead. I've pretty much outgrown all that, but I still think street riding is inherently more dangerous than dirt riding.

Oddly enough, I've been in the hospital twice in my life, both from dirt bike wrecks (broke ribs, puncture lung, broken thumb, concussion, the works). Both wrecks occurred when I got too crazy, which really doesn't happen all that often. Went over the bars at top speed on a CR500 (75+) on the beach at Marshall Creek and went over the bars again on the big table top at Brushy Creek in Royse City (I don't do motocross, but was trying to impress some friends).

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
    Do you have any pics of the bike? Is the bike for sell the repsol in your avitar?
    What's your price?
    That's the bike. I'm going to strip it before I sell it. It's got Carrozzeria wheels, Galfer rotors, Elka shock, TaylorMade exhaust, PCIII, airbox, filters, the list goes on. I'll make a lot more money putting it back to stock and selling everything separate, so the bike isn't officially for sale yet.

EDIT: check this thread on the RepsolForum for more details. If you're interested in the bike as it sits, maybe we can make a deal, but it won't be cheap!
    Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I still haven't been on my 636 in moooonths. Gonna trade it for a tricked out cr250 if i can't sell the damn thing.

I know the feeling, I haven't ridden street in ages. I miss it, but at the same time i don't yearn for it the way I used to.

Comment

I am waiting until Spring and then im going to try trading mine for a pair of skis or something water related.
        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
          The bike has a dead battery and I let that be my excuse to see if I could handle not riding it every day. It's been roughly two months since I took it out and I'm oddly content. I don't panic at the thought of riding in the rain, but I don't leave the house on it if it's already raining.

Is dirt safer? That's debatable. I've ridden on the street since 01/1998 and have never been down, never been hurt. With the crazy amount of time I spent at the street races, riding wheelies, pulling high triple digit speeds on the highway in my early years, I should be dead. I've pretty much outgrown all that, but I still think street riding is inherently more dangerous than dirt riding.

Oddly enough, I've been in the hospital twice in my life, both from dirt bike wrecks (broke ribs, puncture lung, broken thumb, concussion, the works). Both wrecks occurred when I got too crazy, which really doesn't happen all that often. Went over the bars at top speed on a CR500 (75+) on the beach at Marshall Creek and went over the bars again on the big table top at Brushy Creek in Royse City (I don't do motocross, but was trying to impress some friends).
          Thats cool man. Like I said, I was just busting your chops. I totally agree that street VS dirt is a debate that will always be. Its the ford vs chevy of bikes. LOL

I must say that your bike is a great looking ride. Odly enough, I have been down twice on the street and once at the track. Never went to the hospital. But back in my bull riding days..... I had one try to gore me but ended up getting me with his skull in the middle of my back, thought I was gonna die! Funny how our passions can get the best of us. needless to say that ended that hobby.
          Originally posted by mutherjuggz
          That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone

Comment

I don't think I'll ever stop riding. I'll just get something slower. The ex-wife and I were trying to have a kid right before we got divorced and I never felt like her getting prego would make me stop (esp since I had 3 bikes at the time).
            But, I do feel like I'm about through with sport bikes, or so I keep thinking. While I'd really like to get a B-king or Busa, I think I'd rather get on another Harley. I can't help but go fast anytime I'm on my bike (cause it's fun), and so being on a Harley again would slow me down a bunch and I'd be less likely to hurt myself again. I've been looking into the XR1200, though, so I wouldn't be completely away from having something sporty. I'm also really starting to dig some of the baggers I see, since it'd be nice to have a good set of speakers to blast some music lol.
            HD Parts
            paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Originally posted by T-TOPPS5.0 View Post
              I must say that your bike is a great looking ride. Odly enough, I have been down twice on the street and once at the track. Never went to the hospital. But back in my bull riding days..... I had one try to gore me but ended up getting me with his skull in the middle of my back, thought I was gonna die! Funny how our passions can get the best of us. needless to say that ended that hobby.
              Thanks - it's the best looking bike I've ever had and it's going to be hard to part with it, but I'll manage.

Track riding is a different story - I've been down a few times on the track. Low-sided on a motard passing a GSXR on the outside (dirty track and I had to go way wide) and I went down on a YSR-50 a few times at the cart track in Denton.

Comment

Originally posted by Memo View Post
                I've had my 02 R1 forever and I rarely ride the poor thing. It's only got like 8k miles on it and I feel I'm doing it an injustice having it just sit there and ride it every blue moon. I used to love riding but all my buddies are married or have left the hobby.

I don't really need the money, but it's just sitting there most of the time. What's the most I could get for it anyway? Probably no more than $5k if I'm lucky. The bike is in mint condition and has never been dropped.

I just feel that if I sell it I'll end up missing it later on down the road. What would you do?
                This time of year 5K can get you an 06 R1 without too much searching and will easily buy an 04 which is of course the next gen after yours.

In the spring 4K is more reasonable.

Start doing trackdays in the spring or sell it in the spring as it's only going to depreciate further.
                US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Keep it. You won't get shit for it if you sell now. But you'll be amazed what an "ancient" low-mileage R1 will sell for in 20 years.

Don't be so convinced that the "next best thing" is really better. I remember about the time that bike was new, the R1 was a really desirable bike. So that means it will be collectible later, especially since it's going through a phase where "it's ancient junk, get rid of it" and "you can buy bike X for less and it's better." Hang onto it and appreciate having a really clean bike that is getting older every year. It won't be long and people will be impressed with its age and condition... jmo.
                  When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Just curious, have you made a decision?
                    Originally posted by mutherjuggz
                    That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone

Comment

Working...
                    X