No announcement yet.

DSArms.com $330.00 .300 BLK upper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Keith, do you have a midlength you can put over that thing? Really nice deal you got there. This made me rethink my plans, honestly. I just wish they didn't charge so damn much for their barrels.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Can I remove this? I want to be able to mount a scope on it.

Comment

Originally posted by fredfarmer View Post

Removed, no. Replaced, yes. That's your front sight AND gas block. You'll need to buy a new gas block.
        IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by fredfarmer View Post

You don't have to do anything to that to mount a scope. You won't even see it.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

You don't have to replace it. Depending on your mount you'll never see it in the scope.

Damnit Yale beat me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
              You don't have to replace it. Depending on your mount you'll never see it in the scope.

Damnit Yale beat me.
              I run a 1-4x scope with a front sight and even at 1x it is just a slight blur...

Comment

If you're a super cheap ass like me, you can cut the front sight off at those 2 posts and grid it smooth, looks great when it's done right.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Damn wish they had a deal like this on 6.8 SPC. So for those of you who plan on buying this thing, are you planning on suppressing it or something? Just curious because it really seems like there are several better .30+ cal options for the AR15 platform than this unless you're trying to make it quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                    Damn wish they had a deal like this on 6.8 SPC. So for those of you who plan on buying this thing, are you planning on suppressing it or something? Just curious because it really seems like there are several better .30+ cal options for the AR15 platform than this unless you're trying to make it quiet.
                    Please elaborate.
                    300 blackout is inexpensive to shoot,uses standard mags/bolt, efficient, mild recoiling, ballistically similar to 7.62x39 in mild form, but within spitting distance of 6.8spc with handloads.

The 300 blackout is probably the most versatile round used in an ar15 platform.

Comment

That's just simply not the case in many different ways. One reason why I'm going .300 over 6.8mm is because it's cheaper, way WAY cheaper. I can use surplus powder (WC846), surplus projectiles (.30cal bulk), surplus cases (.223 military), standard AR15 magazines, and a standard BCG.

With 6.8 you need retail projectiles, custom cases, custom bolt, custom magazines.. etc..

As far as ballistics, the .300 is best in subsonic speeds, however at supersonic it is still a hell of a cartridge. .300 is designed to be used in SBR's primarily. In a 9" barrel it outperforms 6.8, more muzzle velocity, and more energy delivery. When you drop below 12.5" the .300 BLK beats the 6.8 in almost every category - supersonic, subsonic, whatever. It's all math case volume to barrel volume, there is a sweet spot. With 6.8 the smaller barrel diameter causes optimal pressure/volume to be around a 16" barrel. In a .300 since it's a larger diameter barrel it's optimal pressure/volume falls at a shorter length - around 12.5" or so.

Comment

Never mind that there are way more projectiles available for .308 than .277.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                          can I use this upper with my regular 5.56/223 lower ?

Comment

Originally posted by autotek View Post
                            can I use this upper with my regular 5.56/223 lower ?
                            Yes
                            IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                              That's just simply not the case in many different ways. One reason why I'm going .300 over 6.8mm is because it's cheaper, way WAY cheaper. I can use surplus powder (WC846), surplus projectiles (.30cal bulk), surplus cases (.223 military), standard AR15 magazines, and a standard BCG.

With 6.8 you need retail projectiles, custom cases, custom bolt, custom magazines.. etc..

As far as ballistics, the .300 is best in subsonic speeds, however at supersonic it is still a hell of a cartridge. .300 is designed to be used in SBR's primarily. In a 9" barrel it outperforms 6.8, more muzzle velocity, and more energy delivery. When you drop below 12.5" the .300 BLK beats the 6.8 in almost every category - supersonic, subsonic, whatever. It's all math case volume to barrel volume, there is a sweet spot. With 6.8 the smaller barrel diameter causes optimal pressure/volume to be around a 16" barrel. In a .300 since it's a larger diameter barrel it's optimal pressure/volume falls at a shorter length - around 12.5" or so.
                              So with those criteria what about the 7.62x40 WT? Just throwing out other calibers that I had in mind

*edit: I didn't mean to imply that the 6.8 SPC was in any way better than the .300 as far as cost goes, I was just stating I wish they had an upper in that caliber at this price. I had been wanting to assemble a 6.8SPC upper for some time.
                              Last edited by bottlerocket; 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM.

Comment

So with those criteria what about the 7.62x40 WT?
                                It looks to be a better choice for a supersonic round, but like everything else from Wilson, it's expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X