Adam Arms piston kit failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
    Matt, I couldn't recognize you from that pic...

It's the hands... he's got really soft hands!

David

Comment

• Originally posted by GAP View Post
      I don't think CJ wants to wait 1-2months for another batch of barrels to be made which may be wrong too.
      Well, they could send a new barrel turned to the right specs, I can always take care of the port.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
        Well, they could send a new barrel turned to the right specs, I can always take care of the port.
        CJ, I can remove that extra material easily on a pretty large lathe I have access to at work. You could probably wait in the parking lot while I did it, .040" is not much.

Comment

• Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
          CJ, is the barrel too long or too short? If material needs to be removed I can do it on a pretty large lathe I have access to at work. You could probably wait in the parking lot while I did it, .040" is not much.
          Material needs to be removed, .040 off the gas block shelf. I appreciate the offer. I'm going to see what red-x has to say before I go any further, out of respect. I will let you know.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• No problem, I am right off 360 in GP. If I remember correctly you are not too far away from that area yourself on a daily basis. If you decide to fix it let me know we could do it on my lunch break if need be.

Comment

• Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
              No problem, I am right off 360 in GP. If I remember correctly you are not too far away from that area yourself on a daily basis. If you decide to fix it let me know we could do it on my lunch break if need be.
              Yeah im in GP off 360 and carrier. Hmm..

Comment

• I just got my barrel today. Measures exactly the same as yours does.
                IMG_0424

Comment

• Originally posted by GAP View Post
                  I just got my barrel today. Measures exactly the same as yours does.
                  If you're running DI then it doesn't matter, if you're going to run a piston then you're in trouble.

Comment

• I didn't get a reply back to my e-mail from RedX so I gave them a call and spoke to Neil up there. Went over the specs Adams Arms supplied to me, and forwarded them over to him in that original e-mail. Apparently all of their barrels are being made @ 4.885" - .040" out of spec according to Adam's Arms reference. Now to RedX's credit I've been unable to verify where these apparently "mil spec" specifications actually originate from. Pistol length gas systems seem to be the wild west, and from what I've come to learn - there really seems to be no real "mil spec" for these barrel types. So, because of that AA says on their own FAQ that many manufacturers have out of spec barrels - so it would seem they acknowledge that also. More than likely AA is trying to set the precedence with their spec sheet. Hopefully more manufacturers will append to it. I'm going to mail Red-X back my barrel, and they said 1.5-2wk turn around they will cut a new barrel to these specs - 4.846" and 0.60" gas port so it's compatible with Adams Arms pistons. Maybe with all my back and forth shit I've saved other people the same problems bringing this to their attention. RedX said they have several vendors that buy their barrels and haven't had any complaints, which shows you how many people run piston systems.
                    Last edited by CJ; 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Good work CJ. So all along that .040" has been giving the rod "run up" time to batter the bolt? Seems legit. I need to check my Carbine and see how the rod sits on the bolt or not when in battery.

oh, sent you a PM
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                        Good work CJ. So all along that .040" has been giving the rod "run up" time to batter the bolt? Seems legit. I need to check my Carbine and see how the rod sits on the bolt or not when in battery.

oh, sent you a PM
                        Yeah it had time to accelerate and smash it to bits. I did check that before hand so I'm not exactly sure what transpired. Regardless, the barrel is the problem now and looks like they can take care of that for me. I just want to get it right.

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          Yeah it had time to accelerate and smash it to bits. I did check that before hand so I'm not exactly sure what transpired. Regardless, the barrel is the problem now and looks like they can take care of that for me. I just want to get it right.
                          Red X seems to be doing a lot of good stuff for folks, like this. They will be getting mah monaaaaaaaaaaayz.
                          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                          dont downshift!!
                          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

• It works now. I was ringing the gong at 200 yds with it using iron sights, it's pretty impressive. I must say a 7.5" barrel that can hit a gong at 200 yds with iron sights is a good barrel. I was a little concerned since it was a 1:9" twist.
                            Last edited by CJ; 10-15-2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• Glad you got it sorted. How many rounds does that short pistol op rod have on it now? I assume no more wear issues on it of the face of the bolt key?
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                                Glad you got it sorted. How many rounds does that short pistol op rod have on it now? I assume no more wear issues on it of the face of the bolt key?
                                So far it's been fine, the paint is gone on the key, but it's not showing any damage. I have about 200rds through it so far. I have to laugh at how lazy it ejects brass, it kind of poops it out the side.

Comment

Working...
                                X