Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

x2 on the Witness, but I'd skip the "P" variant

Comment

Also pass on the S&W Sigma series...or at least research them. I bought a S&W sigma series 9mm for my first gun. Total crap, has like a 10-11 lbs trigger pull and a long travel before the gun actually fired. I can't say for sure if their .40 or .45 would be the same so that's why I said research it.

Spend a little more and get a good gun. This one has a 4-5 lbs trigger pull and feels good!
      http://www.cabelas.com/product/Kimbe...Ntt=kimber+.45

These are the only two guns I have experience with. To be honest, IMO, they are on the opposite sides of the scale so I'm sure there are plenty of guns in between. If you don't want to find yourself unhappy with what you buy, go shoot different guns. Holding one only does so much, plus, unless you're already shooting it, you'll probably be holding one that's empty. A fully loaded gun can be a huge difference. Take that S&W for example. I bought it at Academy, held it and it felt good. Once I bought it, loaded it with 15-16 rounds of 9mm and it was not that great.

Went to the range one day with a buddy and shot his Kimber UCII and fell in love with it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
        Also pass on the S&W Sigma series...or at least research them. I bought a S&W sigma series 9mm for my first gun. Total crap, has like a 10-11 lbs trigger pull and a long travel before the gun actually fired. I can't say for sure if their .40 or .45 would be the same so that's why I said research it.

Spend a little more and get a good gun. This one has a 4-5 lbs trigger pull and feels good!
        http://www.cabelas.com/product/Kimbe...Ntt=kimber+.45

These are the only two guns I have experience with. To be honest, IMO, they are on the opposite sides of the scale so I'm sure there are plenty of guns in between. If you don't want to find yourself unhappy with what you buy, go shoot different guns. Holding one only does so much, plus, unless you're already shooting it, you'll probably be holding one that's empty. A fully loaded gun can be a huge difference. Take that S&W for example. I bought it at Academy, held it and it felt good. Once I bought it, loaded it with 15-16 rounds of 9mm and it was not that great.

Went to the range one day with a buddy and shot his Kimber UCII and fell in love with it.
        LOL without a doubt, Sigma's are pieces of garbage. So much so S&W renamed the whole line because of the bad image. I don't know what S&W is up to at the moment with their semi autos, but the S&W .380 bodyguard has one of the worst triggers I've ever felt as well.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
          Lemme know where you can find one for anything close to $500, and I'm all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            LOL without a doubt, Sigma's are pieces of garbage. So much so S&W renamed the whole line because of the bad image. I don't know what S&W is up to at the moment with their semi autos, but the S&W .380 bodyguard has one of the worst triggers I've ever felt as well.
            The M&P series is alright.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I've put 300+ rounds through my Sigma .40. Zero issues. It cycles every brand of ammo I throw at it. There are spring kits for to change the trigger, if you don't like it. Sure, my P226 is a better gun, but also quit a difference in price.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                The M&P series is alright.
                I'm excluding the M&P series, but I find it troubling that S&W clearly has a problem across their lines and they are not addressing it.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                  XD45 in either 4" or 5" will run you under $500
                  FunFordCobra is selling a .45 XD Service Model in the Classifieds for $425 I think. I've got a good concealment holster for it to Wish I had the money for it as I sold mine a while back and miss it, it was a really nice gun.

As far as the original post, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Glock's, Springfield Armory XD's, or S&W M&P series guns.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    RIA 1911 is a good gun as long as you're okay running 230gr ball FMJ rounds. They won't cycle hollow points reliably. I wouldn't choose it as a carry gun though, not reliable enough imho.
                    Have not tried HP through my 1911 yet, it's too heavy and bulky to carry. That's what the XDs if for though.
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1Run View Post
                      Have not tried HP through my 1911 yet, it's too heavy and bulky to carry. That's what the XDs if for though.
                      Says who? I have no problems doing so with my full size Kimber, just need a good holster and belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                        Pass on the semi-auto Taurus. Just don't even bother with one.
                        I have a Taurus Millennium Pro .40 and I have no complaints with it. Once I figured out the damned straight 8 sights anyway.

Comment

I have a Taurus 24/7 G2 .. have close to 1000 rounds through it and not one single issue... I guess i got lucky

Comment

Kinda have it narrowed down to:
                            -Springfield XD45 (OD green)
                            -Beretta PX4
                            -Taurus 24/7 G2

Still going to look this weekend and hold as many as possible, and see what feels right.

Comment

I have a Taurus 709slim and it hates white box (dimples primer but FTFs a lot) but shoots fiocchi without issue. From my experience with just this gun I wouldn't recommend one for carry duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                                Says who? I have no problems doing so with my full size Kimber, just need a good holster and belt.
                                Says me. I'm a skinny guy so it looks like I have a brick under my damn T shirt.
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X