Learned how to do a wheelie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
    When you support an opinion with facts, it becomes less an opinion and more of a fact.

I liken it to choosing to own a Glock (no safety/semi auto = potentially more dangerous/less reliable) to owning a typical revolver (more safe/more reliable). Saying a revolver is a safer and more reliable gun is not an opinion. I'm no gun expert and pulled that analogy out of my ass, but I think it works.

BTW...no hard feelings here...I'm just snowed-in like the rest of you and bored, so debating this whole "power wheelie vs clutch wheelie" topic for the 10,000th time is keeping me entertained, somewhat.
    your comparison sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
      yet. Keyword boss.
      Because one day, you will.
      Its not a matter of IF, its WHEN.

Jason knows, Hes an experienced rider also, and hes been down. Hell Ive never been down due to my riding, ive been ran into by another rider! It can happen. And will.
      And your point? I said I havent wrecked yet due to power wheelies. I never said I haven't gone down before due to other reasons. So I guess wrecking makes you experienced? I have given you props in the past and will still say you are one hell of a stunter. At least the wheelies I have seen you do. But why are you making assumptions that I'm not experienced? I got my first bike at 5 years old and I know I am older than you (sucks to admit). So I think that its safe to say that I have plenty of experience, whether on the track, street and dirt. As I said before, I ride 7 days a week rain or shine. Days like today are exluded.

When you support an opinion with facts, it becomes less an opinion and more of a fact.

I liken it to choosing to own a Glock (no safety/semi auto = potentially more dangerous/less reliable) to owning a typical revolver (more safe/more reliable). Saying a revolver is a safer and more reliable gun is not an opinion. I'm no gun expert and pulled that analogy out of my ass, but I think it works.

BTW...no hard feelings here...I'm just snowed-in like the rest of you and bored, so debating this whole "power wheelie vs clutch wheelie" topic for the 10,000th time is keeping me entertained, somewhat.
      OK......opinion.... To you, clutching a wheelie is "safer" because you prefer them that way.
      Fact..... that way works for you.

opinion....... powering the wheelie up to balance point is better for me.

fact.... clutching them to balance point feels uneasy for me.

So I supported my opinion with a fact. What now? Your facts are based on YOUR opinions. As are mine. I really dont know why you guys get so defensive because people tend to disagree with your opinion. The guy already said he has no real interest to get so heavy into wheelies anyway. Chill out and let the guy decide on his own man. Its really not that serious.

OOOPS. your right. it is a funny debate that will go on and on. ditto on the no hard feelings. Guess I should read everything before posting.
      Originally posted by mutherjuggz
      That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone

Comment

Yeah, I'm just bored.

The fact that supports my argument is that more people wreck doing power wheelies vs clutch wheelie. That's not an opinion.

And the fact that every single professsional rider backs my side of the argument. You will not find a single professional rider that suggests power wheelies over clutch wheelies. So whether or not this guy is trying to be a pro, I'd still point him the direction of those who know and do it most often...same things applies when asking advice on anything, really.

C'mon...just let me win this debate! It'll make my day...sad as that may be.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky View Post
          Stunter bob

When did you move to Utah? I work in SLC right now
          Almost 3 months ago man, Livin in St George FAR from that snow!

Comment

There's a failure to communicate here. You're a newb and you don't know exactly what you're saying nor do you understand what they are trying to tell you.
            Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
            So because I have no interest currently in balancing the bike I am a squid? I guess if I decided to not do wheelies at all and if just rode around what would that make me? Define good wheelie? I think it is personal preference.
            Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
            Yeah, maybe you missed the first 5 posts where I said I had no desire to do wheelies down the highway, or even "balance" the bike for that matter? I appreciate your advice but like I said, I have no temptation to do any of that. Yet, somehow, I am a squid who wants to ride conservatively with a wheelie here and there?
            Chasing BP is out of control, riding BP isn't. To the wheelie crowd wanting to chase warp speed wheelies through the gears makes you a squid.

BP wheelie IS a good wheelie, chasing the wheelie is NOT. It's not personal preference and we all say the same things as newbs, don't worry about it. Don't take it the wrong way, but you don't know what you're saying and you aren't the first to say it. You also won't be the first to change their mind about it either.
            US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

debating this whole "power wheelie vs clutch wheelie" topic for the 10,000th time is keeping me entertained, somewhat.
              I was on the other side of this argument 10 years ago. lawl

And the fact that every single professsional rider backs my side of the argument. You will not find a single professional rider that suggests power wheelies over clutch wheelies.

C'mon...just let me win this debate! It'll make my day...sad as that may be.
              It's funny how years and years later, long after this debate was settled, those not in the know still disagree absolutely with those who do.
              US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

So I win????

I'm snowed/iced in again today, so can we beat to death another issue??

Comment

So I win????

I'm snowed/iced in again today, so can we beat to death another issue??
                  Yes you win. LOL But let it be known that I prefer to power my wheelies up to the BP. But then again, I never tell people how to do it because if I told them a way, and they wreck trying it, then I would feel bad. Thats why I keep saying how I prefer.

Hobie... what am I doing wrong that makes me not in the know? I know I feel uncomfortable cluthing them up. I power it right up and dont have to "chase" the wheelie to the BP. But I am no professional.
                  Originally posted by mutherjuggz
                  That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone

Comment

what's the next topic up for debate?

Comment

Do less expensive helmets protect your dome in a crash as well as the more expensive ones (Arai, Shoei, etc...)?

Or are you paying for the lightweight, venting, comfort and style?

All of which are good enough reasons to pay more for the "better" helmet, but if they all meet the government standards, do they all protect your head similarily?

I know there have been comparisons done in bike mags, but I don't know the answer and have always wondered.

How's that for a topic?? Too boring??

Comment

I dunno, but my first lid was an arai and i'll never wear cheap. I have a ~$150 dirtbike helmet and it's not that great. I'll probably pick up something better next season, wanna beat this one up some first.

Comment

helmets? boring. hah. If theyre all rated the same, snell etc...then youre paying for style, comfort, etc... my arai feels so good on my head compared to the pos bell i first had.

Comment

Do less expensive helmets protect your dome in a crash as well as the more expensive ones (Arai, Shoei, etc...)?

Or are you paying for the lightweight, venting, comfort and style?

All of which are good enough reasons to pay more for the "better" helmet, but if they all meet the government standards, do they all protect your head similarily?

I know there have been comparisons done in bike mags, but I don't know the answer and have always wondered.

How's that for a topic?? Too boring??
                            I would think if they are all DOT/SNELL approved then that is good enough for me. As for one protecting better than the other, I don't know. Just because it is a standard doesn't mean it is the best at protecting and others can't exceed the standard, or required. When I hear standard or required, I hear "minimum" not the best. I don't know if that makes sense.

I still have a cheap helmet (seven zero seven) but it is sitll dot/snell approved. If it wasn't meant to protect m y head then it wouldn't be for purchase and thats all I really care about. It's like having a Hondathat can withstand X amount of an impact that may be "standard or minimum" in the safety department but there are other vehicles (Mercedes, etc)that could possibly have a better safety rating.
                            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Ok then, what's harder...parking lot stunting or highway stunting?

Is that better/more controversial for ya?

I say parking lot shit takes more skill and the highway game takes maybe less skill, but far more balls.

Discuss....lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                                power vs clutch.

clutch is definitely safer and more predictable.

power: you have to keep accelerating to bring it up all the way. not safe.
                                you cant bring the front up efficiently at low speeds without being a flying brick

clutch: tach it up. by the time you drop the clutch youre already up and just maintain throttle control.

edit: it also can greatly depend on what bike you ride. I'm guessing ttops is riding his twin
                                here's the way I see it. When talking about clutching it up, you're talking about bringing it up at a steady speed and staying there, without really accelerating.
                                To me it sounds like he just wants to be able to pop it up for just a little bit while accelerating and then set it down.

Anytime I've used power wheelies was just because it was easy to do from a stop sign or stop light by just literally rolling on the throttle. I could just roll into it in 1st or 2nd and bring the front up without popping it up, and then set it back down, and that's all I prefered to do. I've never tried doing anything at highway speeds.
                                I have tried to learn clutching it up and got decent at it, but still prefer not to. And, the one problem that I could see with a newb trying to clutch it, is that they could dump the clutch too fast and give too much throttle and loop the bike before they even knew what happened.
                                HD Parts
                                paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Working...
                                X