No announcement yet.

Re-Doing my DRZ400SM Wheels - Opinions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got the call yesterday that the powder coat is done, so I'm going to pick everything up have the wheels re-laced this weekend. If all goes as planned, I'll post pics towards the end of the weekend.

I ended up having to go with a translucent copper color instead of the original gold, so it's going to be a little different than I planned, but I still think it'll look good. We'll see...

I like the factory headlight, actually, but you're about the 5th person that has said I should do something different. I'm not a fan of the Acerbis units though. I like it on my 954, but I'm a fan of the factory piece on the DRZ. I just flush-mounted some LED blinkers into the headlight too, so I'm not excited about ditching it right now. I may try to find an aftermarket light that would fit into that bucket though.

Comment

hell put some numbers on that bitch
      that would help too IMO

Comment

FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!

Had my buddy pick up my powder coated pieces this week while I was out of town...got home last night and they look like shit. The color is very inconsistent, there are runs and they got the colors wrong (black vs copper) on a few pieces.

So now I've gotta take them back and have it done right, which means the bike will be down for another 1-2 weeks. Fuckin sucks.

Comment

You should probably stop having shit painted or powder coated. It is obvious yo uhave the worst luck in this department.
          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

what a fucking mess!
            www.hppmotorsports.com
            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

No joke...but I'm committed to getting this bike done. We'll say what they say tomorrow.

Comment

sorry to hear that man.

i sold my stunt 636 to a board member a while back and it's all the way clean again.. makes me sad.

at least i'm not the only one unable to ride.

Comment

Shit man, I put 200 miles on the 954 this morning and rode trails for an hour on my CRF230, so I still got plenty of riding in. The DRZ is the most fun to ride though, so I'm anxious to get it back together.

I'm now thinking of just doing everything in black, and just keeping the forks/rotor carrier/brake lines/brake pedal gold....it's just too hard to find one gold that pulls it all together, so maybe black is the best choice.

I just still kinda got my heart set on doing something flashy and fun with the hubs and nipples. Just can't figure it out. It'll probably be a game time decision when I get to the shop tomorrow.

Comment

there's a place in bedford/hurst off raider (central dr, across hwy 10) called Electric Fusion that i've had good luck with doing powdercoating.

Comment

I ended up going with a "coppersun PPB-2823" powder with a clear coat to make sure the finish matches the gloss black spokes/hoops. I think it'll look good...but we'll see.

The shop agreed that the quality of the previous work was sub-par, so they're covering the labor to strip/re-coat all of the pieces and I'm just paying for the new powder. That's as fair of a deal as I coulda asked for, so I'm happy.

Just sucks that I've got to wait 1 week for the powder to come in, and then another for the work to be done.

Comment

Can you strip the powder and have the hubs and spoke anodized?
                        Ded

Comment

If I knew of a place that did anodizing, yes. But I've already had the spokes coated black to match the factory hoops, and the hubs/nipples are now on their way.

I was just doing some math...this is the worst part.

Have tires taken off of rims......................................... $20 (+ huge hassle)
                          Have wheels dis-assembled......................................... $50
                          Have bearings pulled from wheels.................................$20
                          Black powder coat pieces............................................ .$140
                          Copper powder coat pieces...........................................$ 283
                          Gold powder coat pieces (correct color, hopefully)............$250
                          Have bearings re-installed......................................... ...$20
                          Re-assembly wheels............................................ ........$50
                          Have new tires put on rims...........................................$40
                          Total = $913

OUCH!! This thing better look pretty fuckin sweet when it's all put back together.

Comment

Damn, you could have just got ones in the color you wanted from motostrano and sold the originals to recoop.

Ded

Comment

Yeah, I'll bet you're right.

But this will be a custom job, and along with the nipples and other gold/black bits, I think it's going to look pretty fuckin cool. I'm betting on it, at least.

Comment

pics already ! dammit

In the last month i already welded up an entire set of beadlock rims for my truck and im done putting them all together with the 128 grade 8 bolts / 38's back on.
                                I should have got them powder coated though for durabiltiy. but my truck ain't no looker...
                                hurry it the hell up!

Comment

Working...
                                X