AR-15 for home defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR-15 for home defense

What ammo would you use? I usually keep a couple of magazines loaded for "social purposes" but it's all FMJ.

I have some frangible (think that's the right term) I once bought for that purpose, but ultimately hand and shotguns are still in place for that purpose.

For record - I'm no expert just seemed logical that it would not exit a stone and brick home.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

AR wouldn't be my first choice for home defense simply because I am not aware of any ammo that won't penetrate thru multiple layers of drywall, and I have a family. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but I have my 12 gauge loaded with the first three rounds a home defense ammo that is not supposed to penetrate drywall, and the next three buckshot in case the first three don't do it. Buckshot will penetrate, but it should be slowed down more than 5.56, in theory. Backup to that is a 9mm that my wife should grab, but all this is in a perfect plan, so in all likelyhood I would be using the 12 gauge and then the cops show up to collect a description or a body.

That being said, strapped to the door of the safe is my 5.56 AR and it has 55 grain ammo loaded in it. But is more of a "massive terrorist attack suitcase nukes in an American city holy fuck there are massive riots and panic" type of backup, so in all likelyhood that ammo will be rotated on range trips.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

300blk in 9” Barrel with 220gr subs and a can.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
          300blk in 9” Barrel with 220gr subs and a can.
          Ya, this, or 9" barrel 9mm with 147 grain and can.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Probably home defense is a bad title for this. So a little clarification.

I do not have to worry about other people in the house or over penetration through walls. I'm on 4 acres of land and my nearest neighbor is a little ways off and through a bunch of trees.

One of my concerns is that I live a couple of blocks away from some section 8 apartments. Before I put up my fence and a gate, I’d have people cutting across my yard at night (even sometimes during the day) and I have come out of my house and found people parked in my drive way. I even had a stolen car parked in front of my gate one time. All of this can be a little unnerving at night when my dog is barking and/or I hear something outside the house.

So I'm looking for a round that won't over penetrate through a person but can penetrate into a car body. This would be for a .223/5.56 Carbine Length AR, no SBR .300 Blackout. Probably something similar requirements to what a police department would look for. I'd like to keep 3 or 4 magazines loaded and more available. Any suggestions?

Comment

Build a 12.5" pistol.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

In that case, a loaded AR is a good choice. Would also probably keep a handgun on me at all times especially when outside. Also would keep a loaded mossberg 500 or a remington 870 near the bed. Fuck section 8 housing.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I took my AR out in the woods and shot up and old car (90's Toyota Camry). I was not impressed with the penetration of 55gr FMJ thru glass or door panels. 00 Buckshot did a better job IMO.

Comment

Over penetration is mostly over hyped BS. Most cup and core .223 bullets break into tiny bits after they strike anything hard. If you are really worried about it go with a varmint 223 load. It will still go through most soft armor, will totally fuck up a person, and will not do much to someone after passing through some dry wall but expecting it to go through a car body reliably is wishful thinking.

I personally keep rifles around loaded with bonded core 7.62x51 ammo for home protection with a few AKs thrown into the mix loaded with Hornadys 7.62x39 SST ammo.

Edit: It also depends on what threats you believe you could be facing. If it is just the random meth head or hood rat nosing around to steal something a 12ga with #4 buck or larger will take care of business. If you have reason to believe that you may be facing well armed and well trained opponents you should go with a larger rifle than something in .223 and take the time to add some passive things to your home that will seriously hamper even the best pros who may come after you.
                    Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 01-27-2018, 11:28 AM.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Loaded handgun is normally on or near me at all times. Because I tend to walk my dog a lot in the yard, especially at night before he goes to bed, most of my guns will have a WML on them or at the very least I'll carry a flashlight on me. Loaded shotgun is kept in my bedroom.

A pistol or SBR AR will be my next long gun purchase. But for now I'm reading up on LE ammo from Speer and Hornady. Anyway if anybody has any ammo recommendations please post up.

Comment

A good bit of informal testing has been done on interior wall penetration. I found a good deal on Remington .223 that uses the Barnes 62gr TSX projectile so generally keep that in the rifle I have quick access to.

The most popular and widely respected voice in America for your gun rights, breaking 2nd Amendment news, and everything else you need to know as a gun owner...

In our last tests shooting walls, we tried to line up 4 walls that were 2 feet by 2 feet. It turned out that the 5.56 deviated so much from its course after the first wall, that it was almost impossible to hit the other walls to test penetration. So, we built bigger walls. These are 4 feet by...

Comment

5.7 x 28 penetrates pretty well.

I recommend a Five-Seven. Holds 20 rounds hand held, little to no recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                            Loaded handgun is normally on or near me at all times. Because I tend to walk my dog a lot in the yard, especially at night before he goes to bed, most of my guns will have a WML on them or at the very least I'll carry a flashlight on me. Loaded shotgun is kept in my bedroom.

A pistol or SBR AR will be my next long gun purchase. But for now I'm reading up on LE ammo from Speer and Hornady. Anyway if anybody has any ammo recommendations please post up.
                            Both Hornady and Speer make outstanding 5.56mm loads. A personal favorite from Hornady is their 62gr soft point bonded load that they call the barrier load. Ammoman had an over run about 10 years ago from Speer that they claimed was from a contract for security at nuclear power plants and it also used a soft point 62gr bonded bullet. I liked the Speer load so much that I ordered 10k rounds of it. I strongly suspect that the Federal fusion 62gr is nearly an identical load to the ones I mentioned and I have seen it on the shelf at Academy. If you had to pick one load for personal defense in 5.56 any of the ones I mention would serve you well.

If you are on a budget I have found the 62gr soft point from Silver Bear to be a good performer out of a Mini 14, AK, or AR. It didn't work for shit in a bolt gun that I tried it in but that particular gun has a very tight chamber and an almost non-existent leed.

Edit: If you are going to use an SBR as your primary self defense weapon you should chamber it in something other than 5.56.
                            Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 01-28-2018, 10:48 AM.
                            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Jose,
                              Maybe something in 300 B.O. in a pistol and a brace. For under 150 yards a 220gr would be good. 8 1/2 barrel and a red-dot.

Some of the ammo experts can probably chime in on that. Or a used AK? 7.62x39 is a dam good up close (200yds) round.

Comment

Working...
                              X