Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can anyone give me some guidance with my computer woes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried that yesterday... the cell phone while on wifi will not connect to taxact.com.... with wifi switched off using phone network it will connect to taxact.com

mardyn

Comment

OK, then this is highly likely an isp issue. Best of luck with that. :grimacing:

Just make sure you let them know that devices connected to your AP can ping taxact.com, but you can't browse the site. Then let em know you verified this by disabling wifi on your phone and the site loaded as expected.

If you would, reply back with the solution, please sir.

Comment

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

This^^ is the error description...

I'm just not sure how to address the issue. It seems what ever they're sending back during the initial phase isn't what the next phase requires..?

Comment

The very fact that it works on mobile data and not your he wifi, indicates it's something with the AP, DNS or isp related.

Comment

I'll follow up with the ISP and see if they can offer suggestions.

Thanks for spending some time on it for me.

mardyn

Comment

I hope it helped, if for nothing more it might help you point homeslice at the isp tech support to not need to go through 20 steps to isolate the problem.

Again, I'm genuinely curious what the issue is alls well as the solution. I'm even curious if I was waaaaay off, that helps me to learn from my mistakes in troubleshooting.

Comment

Can you unplug the cable going to the internet port on the router and plug it directly into a PC?
                Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

^^Good idea... tried it but no go, still get the same error message.

Comment

Their website says that they employ IP and trusted device verification, my guess is that for whatever reason Taxact.com has your IP flagged as untrusted.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

So my assertion was right, ISP issue?

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
                        ^^Good idea... tried it but no go, still get the same error message.
                        Can you jump on a vpn and try it? What is your public ip address and does it change when you release and renew?
                        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

It sounds like a SSL security certificate issue.

However, on top of all the suggestions you have received I have a couple more. In terms of troubleshooting.

a) Have you tried looking at the website through a proxy.
                          b)Try flushing your DNS resolver cache.
                          c) If you want to eliminate the router as being a possible cause, you can simply tether your laptop to your cell phone over mobile data with WiFi disabled. Or you can try to put your PC in the routers DMZ just temporarily for the purpose of troubleshooting.
                          e) Consider putting your browser into safe mode and see if you can connect.

Regarding the potential ISP issue, it is very possible. I once sent a mass email through vBulletin and forgot to adjust the batch file ISP limit per hour down and got blacklisted. Caused a lot of connection problems outside of the scope of just email. Had to make a couple of phone calls to rectify the problem. That it was not spam, merely a message about a software update and downtime.

*Probably the simplest solution may be just to discuss with your ISP tech support. You just need to go through the steps of determining whether this is client side or server side. A good Level 2/3 tech can help you do that.
                          Last edited by LS1Goat; 04-04-2020, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Folks above did a great job of working that through with you and isolating the issue. I'll add to the VPN comment - if this is time sensitive - NordVPN or one of the others will be a quick and cheap solution until this is resolved.
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

OK, I'm back on it again this morning...

again, Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas an although some are above my level of competency, I'm doing my best to comprehend the ideas.

The details on the error message I discovered this morning indicates:
                              "The connection is not encrypted"

Where does the encryption occur? Possibly in the router?

I'm trying at this point to figure out what may have changed in the last few weeks...

mardyn

Comment

That's unfortunate. Like I said above that is a SSL certificate error in the browser or from the site you're accessing. It's possible that your router may have received a firmware/software update that is blocking your connection because it's receiving a message that is suggesting that the certificate is invalid. There are a variety of reasons this can occur.

Turn off your WiFi button in your phone and see if you can see the site over Mobile Data only. That will tell you if your router is the culprit.

One more thing...Is there any new 3rd party software that you may have installed recently. You wouldn't believe some of things that I'm come across that adversely affect a web browser.

Comment

Working...
                                X