Verizon OTA update (Jelly Bean) coming to GS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon OTA update (Jelly Bean) coming to GS3

So I rooted my GS3 with ICS, and I don't want to loose root with the OTA I also (more importantly) don't want to lose my free wifi-tethering ability (I've read about issues with Jelly Bean + wifi-tether). Does anyone know of a way I can deny the OTA update?

I really don't care about the Jelly Bean update, my phone works great.

I already told it to 'defer' the update till Monday, so I can try and figure out how to say no!

1. Download FOTAKill.apk and copy to your Phone/SD 2. Use a root explorer (such as ES Explorer) to copy the file to /system/app 3. If the update already downloaded, delete it from /cache 4. reboot *Credit for the apk goes to the CM team and or...

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

thx dude, will try this!

Comment

haha didnt notice the free tethering was gone.

I never used it anyway.

Comment

I use wifi tether all the time for my macbook, I have unlimited vzw 4g LTE

Comment

Did this work for you?

Comment

I like JB so much better than ICS

Comment

Help! I'm flying across the country tomorrow!

Back story:

1) flashed CWM recovery, installed AOKP 4.1.1 (milestone-1) Jelly Bean rom, worked great.

2) After activating my service, logging into Google account, not all my contacts appeared. Phone worked great for 2 days, made calls, texts, email, love the rom!!!!

3) Restored my Titanium Backup contacts (hoping to fill in the gaps I was seeing), rebooted, started seeing odd errors (com.android. this and that, popping up constantly), so figured some of the contact data didn't jive well with the ROM. I rebooted several times, battery pulled, and it was still throwing errors (not force closes) just processes stoping, making phone unusable.

4) Booted CWM Recovery, wiped both cache, factory wipe, installed rom and gapps .zips again. Same way I installed AOKP the 1st time1.

5) Now it hangs on activating (ie with Verizon and my SIM card). I confirmed my SIM card is in there, reseated it, I see it on my Vz online profile, nothing weird it would appear w/ the SIM. The 4G LTE logo will not appear in the notification bar.

6) Restored a CMW backup (of factory ROM/apps/user data) from before I installed AOKP, same thing won't let me complete calls says I'm not authorized ( like it forgot about my SIM card ). The 4G LTE logo will not appear in the notification bar.

7) Vz customer service troubleshot, said bad SIM, went to Vz store and swapped SIM, still won't activate. The 4G LTE logo will not appear in the notification bar.

8) Did factory reset in Vz store, still hangs on activation. Oddly it seems to be dialing (like the 3G activation method, the girl at the store noted) wanting you to press 1 to activate, but I gather 4G LTE phones don't work like that. It should just, poof, activate. Because of the status message of 'please wait while your phone activates, there was no way to 'press 1', anyway.

So I'm stuck with this 'it won't activate with Verizon with the new SIM' despite being factory restored.

Somehow, I've got to get the SIM activation / handshake working with Verizon Wireless, like when setting up service for the 1st time.

It doesn't seem likely that my 'old' SIM card and the 'new' SIM card are bad.

Help!

--Scott

Comment

FWIW I think I figured it out.

Going to take a little effort to fix it though.

I wish I know exactly WTF caused this!

Comment

Working...
                  X