selling a firearm to a stranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling a firearm to a stranger

what info would you collect if selling a firearm in your name to a stranger?
    would be asking for their name & driver license number too much?

thanks

Pistol - valid TX Drivers License
    Rifle - valid TX, LA, AR, OK or NM Drivers License.

I don't ever record their info. Just verify they are a resident of the appropriate state to be a legal sale.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Your only obligation is to reasonably assume that the purchaser is a Texas resident and legally able to own and possess the firearm. Often times people will request a Texas Drivers License to ensure they are a state resident, write a bill of sale, and sometimes take information from the purchaser. All of these are not required, but to some, are good practice to ensure you, as the seller, are performing your duty properly. Each seller's methods vary, and some buyers are defensive about providing personal info to strangers due to identity theft.

Once the transaction is performed you are done. There's no paperwork, no phone calls, etc. to be made.

Comment

I'm gonna go with absolutely nothing.
        WH

Comment

I have done a bill of sale with SN of the firearm and name, address and DL# of buyer and seller.

Comment

If you are going to ask for documentation, be up front about it in your ad. That should filter out most who will get butt hurt when asked for ID.

Comment

I always do a bill of sale using something like this form:

If the buyer has a problem with it, too bad. I'm not selling to anyone without an ID. This is mostly to cover my own ass. If the gun is registered to me, and I sell it to a crackhead that uses it to murder someone, I want to be able to show that the transaction was legit.

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
                I always do a bill of sale using something like this form:

If the buyer has a problem with it, too bad. I'm not selling to anyone without an ID. This is mostly to cover my own ass. If the gun is registered to me, and I sell it to a crackhead that uses it to murder someone, I want to be able to show that the transaction was legit.
                There is no registration in Texas...

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                  There is no registration in Texas...
                  I'm sure he is meaning that he filled out a 4473.. Yes, not registration but still a way for them to find you.

And that is the same reason I have done it.

Comment

i never get asked about burners i buy.

cash and carry.
                    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      I'm sure he is meaning that he filled out a 4473.. Yes, not registration but still a way for them to find you.

They could, but I don't see how they could make any charges stick.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to get info / do a bill of sale, but it's certainly not required.

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                        i never get asked about burners i buy.

cash and carry.
                        I thought your people were afraid of guns and are against the general population owning guns? I suppose you are just furthering the hypocrisy of the left.

( by your people I mean Democrats )

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                          They could, but I don't see how they could make any charges stick.

I'm not saying it's not a good idea to get info / do a bill of sale, but it's certainly not required.
                          I just want to be able to say I 'dindu-nuffin' and refer them to the next owner..

Comment

I have done a bill of sale with SN of the firearm and name, address and DL# of buyer and seller.
                            The one private sale I've done was like this at the buyer's insistence. He's a long time board member and we did the transaction at his office, I wasn't too worried. Now if he wanted to meet in an alley behind a liquor store and was wearing gang colors I'd probably have backed out of it.

Comment

Yes, that's what I mean. Didn't realize there was a difference.

<--------Still new to all the red tape involved in gun ownership.

Comment

Working...
                              X