If man also lie with mankind....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianC View Post
    I know this topic has been here since May 8th, but I just want to give props to Talisman for pointing out something a lot of us Christians tend to misunderstand. The passage talks about stoning a woman who's been whoring, because it disgraces Israel. Adultery would be similar. Keep in mind that the Law had a specific purpose in those days and it was a different time. Now, here's how Jesus (the One who wrote the Law as God originally--when Moses was, I AM is how Jesus commented on Himself as God) handles a similar situation:

(John 8:2-11)
    2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

I'm not making any comment or debate on the original post, really. I just like that Talisman said "relevance," and I like how Jesus did not go with the surface understanding of the Law. And yet Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law. The underlying spirit of what the Law points to is very different than what it says on the surface and how we translate it. Besides, translation is a terribly tricky profession. One must know the original culture, their way of thinking and speaking and conveying things, and how they lived and functioned. Many a Christian might be scandalized to know that Abraham's people were nomads who were in the "East." In other words, they saw the world and God more like Eastern religions see it. But much has been Westernized once the Jews went into captivity under many different Western nations back before Jesus' time. We are far removed from the original Hebrews. Translators cannot help but translate their own beliefs directly into their translation. If you ever saw the original translators' notes they placed all over the KJV, this would become partly evident.

By the way, the Jews translate Torah (the Law) to be The Teachings (of the Father/Master). And if you take the original Ancient Hebrew picture language translation of "the Law (Torah)," it means The Journey, and it refers to the teachings of a loving father to help encourage his children, not meant to beat them down when they do wrong. The journey is far more meaningful to a nomad. Much trust in God is required to wander in the wilderness and survive. The word for "city" in Hebrew means "chaos," while the word for "wilderness" means "balance." Makes the 40 years in the wilderness mean something a little different, doesn't it? This website has some very cool Ancient Hebrew picture language word meanings for 36 of the major words in the Bible:

Paints a picture of a much more loving God.

We live in a different time now. Hard to apply the Law now when things are different. Great point, Talisman.
    Amen

Comment

Originally posted by wolferine3 View Post
      Amen
      I concur.

So be it.
      ./ ____ _ _\.
      (]]]_ o _[[[)
      \o_FORD_o/
      |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

Originally posted by 4.6coupe View Post
        I concur.

So be it.
        Might as well ad X2!

Comment

The United States used large portions of the Old Testament Law to create our constitution, but even they understood and removed much of what was no longer relevant to their society 200+ years ago.

Religion tends to get wrapped up in "right" and "wrong," which causes a lot of guilt and shame, which is what causes most people's problems. But if there's anything God's showed us, it's that He gives us completely free will, complete freedom to do as we wish, with no guilt or shame from Him.

1 Cor 6:12
          "All things are lawful for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "All things are lawful for me"--but I will not be controlled by anything.

So, Paul tells us everything is allowed for us to do--no guilt, no shame. But if we're hurting ourselves or others with our behavior, he's saying that it's not going to be beneficial to us or others. If I hurt someone, I feel healthy shame, and I go make it right, and it's done. We Christians tend to place subconscious rules on ourselves which cause us tons of shame. We live under that shame, then we spread it to others by judging them the same way we're judging ourselves internally. I understand exactly why people here were upset with me. I was treating them the way I treated myself internally. I'd be upset with someone judging me and trying to heap shame on me, too. I didn't realize what I was doing. What did Jesus say on the cross? Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do? Yeah...that describes me perfectly. lol

I think Christianity, and many religions today, have become like the Pharisees. Jesus had no problem with the non-religion. He ate with them. In their culture, that meant you completely accepted them as they were with no judgments. The Jews took it very seriously if they were to let eat a meal with someone. It was a high honor--complete acceptance. It was a huge gesture by Jesus to the non-religious. He was saying, "I accept you as you are." And if He was God, as I believe He was, then that was God saying He accepts His kids just as they are. He never tried to change them. He let them find their own way. That's pretty cool. That's a religion of freedom, not of rules and molding.

The only people He showed to have a problem with was the religious Jews (Pharisees) using God's name for their purposes. Sounds like "Judge not lest ye be judged," is pretty damn important. I'm a lot happier now that I stopped judging myself and others. lol

Comment

There was a boarding school called Summerhill in England from the 20's to the 60's (I'm not sure if it's still around now that the owner has died). The students and adult faculty were equals. Every Saturday night, they had a General Meeting where students and faculty, headmaster included, would vote on the rules of the school and how to progress with each matter the kids or adults brought up. The adults abided by the same rules the students did.

The kids were not made to learn. They could play as much as they liked until they were ready to learn. The average student played for 3 months before he/she was ready to learn.

One student never attended a single class in the 13 years he was there. He spent all his time "playing" in the workshop, building things. At age 18, he graduated. He'd taught himself how to read all on his own while at the school. He became an excellent engineer. He even got a degree in engineering if I remember correctly.

The kids love and respect one another there, and no adult has authority over them, nor do they try to mold them in any way (this eliminates the fight against authority). They let them find their own way. The kids are very happy, very respectful to each other 99% of the time, and they move into the workforce very happy with the work they choose. Not even sex or masturbation are forbidden at the school, and yet the kids never engage in sex out of respect for the school. They know that the first girl who gets pregnant there will cause the school to get shut down and they'll all end up in horrible boarding schools.

Christians believe in original sin, and so we're made to believe we're born evil. My wife and I think that's a complete misunderstanding of what the Bible is saying (lots of figurative expressions in the Bible that can only be understood if someone knows the culture). I think Summerhill proves that original sin is bogus. When left to their own devices, the kids actually end up very loving, respectful, and happy. In the workforce, their bosses give amazing reports on how great they are as employees. It's the parents and other authority figures trying to mold them into something they're not that causes them to want to act out. It flies in the face of "original sin" doctrine. I've found the same thing to be true as I go through Recovery. It's good to know I wasn't "born evil." I was, as the Bible says, made in God's image--and the Bible says God is Love. Hmmmmm... That's something to think about.

I may need to shut up. The Christians here are going to think I'm getting down on them. Sorry guys--I don't mean it that way. And I'm not grouping all Christians into those statements. I'm giving my experience as a Christian and saying it's true of some other Christians too...maybe more than we realize.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianC
              Christians believe in original sin, and so we're made to believe we're born evil. My wife and I think that's a complete misunderstanding of what the Bible is saying (lots of figurative expressions in the Bible that can only be understood if someone knows the culture). I think Summerhill proves that original sin is bogus. When left to their own devices, the kids actually end up very loving, respectful, and happy. In the workforce, their bosses give amazing reports on how great they are as employees. It's the parents and other authority figures trying to mold them into something they're not that causes them to want to act out. It flies in the face of "original sin" doctrine. I've found the same thing to be true as I go through Recovery. It's good to know I wasn't "born evil." I was, as the Bible says, made in God's image--and the Bible says God is Love. Hmmmmm... That's something to think about.

I may need to shut up. The Christians here are going to think I'm getting down on them. Sorry guys--I don't mean it that way. And I'm not grouping all Christians into those statements. I'm giving my experience as a Christian and saying it's true of some other Christians too...maybe more than we realize.
              I don't interpret Bible statements regarding the original sin as meaning we are born evil, rather I read them to say that we are born into a world where evil exists as a result of a deliberate choice made by the first of mankind. We have that same choice available to us today, and whether or not we succumb to temptation and commit sins up to us rather than being something we are born to do.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                I don't interpret Bible statements regarding the original sin as meaning we are born evil, rather I read them to say that we are born into a world where evil exists as a result of a deliberate choice made by the first of mankind. We have that same choice available to us today, and whether or not we succumb to temptation and commit sins up to us rather than being something we are born to do.
                We should go back to the original source for a final ruling. Owait....

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                  I don't interpret Bible statements regarding the original sin as meaning we are born evil, rather I read them to say that we are born into a world where evil exists as a result of a deliberate choice made by the first of mankind. We have that same choice available to us today, and whether or not we succumb to temptation and commit sins is up to us rather than being something we are born to do.
                  I agree, except that I think we get programmed when we're kids, and many of our choices and actions flow out of that subconscious programming. I soaked up my parents' way of doing things, and modified it a little, and subconsciously, I was making choices out of that programming (compulsion). People say they don't want to become their parents, but they grow up and sure enough, they're a lot like their parents. My parents did the best they could and loved me a lot. I tried for years to make better decisions, but I had compulsions to do some awful stuff. Couldn't overcome it. Step 1 in Recovery is that we're powerless over our addictions. If I'm powerless, what happened to my free will choice? Ahhh... My programming took over subconsciously. I had to go tear out the programming.

There's a book called You Are Not So Smart. It's a humorous book that cites a lot of major psychology research studies to show just how easily we're influenced and programmed subconsciously by the things and people around us. It humbled me some more. Taught me just how much I don't know. When I took all of the rules off of myself that were causing me to shame myself, I was free. Felt great. Then, the loving and kind things Paul and Jesus (and other religions) talked about became much more natural for me. The weight of my conscience (rules and expectations I'd put on myself) was crushing me with shame. It's so easy to misunderstand the Bible or any other religions. I sure did before. I'm glad I was wrong. This is just my opinion, and I'm wrong all the time. lol Take it with a grain of salt.
                  Last edited by BrianC; 07-09-2013, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X