SC strikes down portions of voting rights act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC strikes down portions of voting rights act

The Supreme Court Tuesday struck down a key part of the Voting Rights Act, ruling unconstitutional a provision of the landmark civil rights legislation used to promote the political power of minority voters across large swaths of the southern United States for nearly four decades.

In a 5-4 ruling that split the court along ideological lines, the court ended a requirement that some or all areas in 15 states get advance approval from the Justice Department or a panel of federal judges for all changes to voting laws, procedures and even polling place locations.

The court’s conservative majority said that when Congress reauthorized the law in 2006 it did not have sufficient basis to re-adopt a formula that is essentially the same as the one used when the law was first passed in 1965.

”Congress — if it is to divide the States — must identify those jurisdictions to be singled out on a basis that makes sense in light of current conditions. It cannot rely simply on the past,” Chief Justice John Roberts wrote. “Our country has changed, and while any racial discrimination in voting is too much, Congress must ensure that the legislation it passes to remedy that problem speaks to current conditions.”
    (Also on POLITICO: Supreme Court Voting Rights Act ruling)

Lawmakers “reenacted a formula based on 40-year-old facts, having no logical relationship to the present day,” Roberts wrote. Despite “thousands of pages of evidence” Congress accumulated in 2006, “we cannot pretend that we are reviewing an updated statute or try our hand at updating the statute ourselves, based on the new record compiled by Congress.”

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, writing for the court’s three other liberals, complained that the court’s majority overstepped its bounds by failing to defer to Congress’s judgment that the preclearance rule was still needed.

Ginsburg began reading her dissent from the bench by noting there was agreement among the justices that race-based voting discrimination “still exists, no one doubts that” and that Congress had taken “extraordinary measures to meet the problem.”
    (PHOTOS: Who’s who on the Supreme Court)

“Beyond those two points, the court divides sharply,” she said.
    Congress concluded that continuing the requirement “would facilitate completion of the impressive gains thus far made [and] guard against backsliding,” Ginsburg wrote. “Those assessments were well within Congress’ province to make and should elicit this Court’s unstinting approbation.”

Ginsburg argued that the majority was trying to undo preclearance in part because it has been so successful at preventing discriminatory practices in the covered areas.
    (PHOTOS: 21 landmark SCOTUS rulings)

“The number of discriminatory changes blocked or deterred by the preclearance requirement suggests that the state of voting rights in the covered jurisdictions would have been significantly different absent this remedy,” she wrote.

Ginsburg pointed to “second generation barriers” posed to minorities who want to vote — “methods more subtle” than the ones used in 1965 — including racial gerrymandering, redrawing legislative districts to segregate races, and at-large voting in lieu of district-by-district contests in cities with large black populations.
    Roberts argued that Congress essentially punted in 2006, finding it politically inconvenient to tinker with a formula that sweeps in most states in the deep South as well as Alaska, Arizona, parts of New York City, and various other counties and towns.
    “We are not ignoring the record; we are simply recognizing that it played no role in shaping the statutory formula before us today,” the chief justice wrote. “There is no valid reason to insulate the coverage formula from review merely because it was previously enacted 40 years ago….Today’s statistics tell an entirely different story.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...#ixzz2XFXdi146
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, tens of thousands of registered zombies and liberals are pissed.

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Texas' response

WASHINGTON — The implications of today’s landmark ruling could be swift and stunning.

With the Supreme Court suspending the mechanism that forced Texas to get a federal OK before it can implement any election law change, state Attorney General Greg Abbott asserts that nothing now can stop the state from activating its controversial voter ID law.

“With today’s decision, the State’s voter ID law will take effect immediately,” Abbott announced. “Redistricting maps passed by the Legislature may also take effect without approval from the federal government.”

Laughlin McDonald of the ACLU, on a call with reporters, conceded that Texas has “a very strong argument” that in light of today’s Supreme Court decision, it can implement the Voter ID law and other laws that previously required federal approval.

The Texas Department of Public Safety has announced that starting Thursday, “Photo identification will now be required when voting in elections in Texas.”

Starting Thursday, Texas driver license offices will begin issuing photo IDs to anyone who don’t already have one. Under the 2011 state law creating one of the state’s most strict voter ID laws, the certificates are free and valid for six years. To qualify, an applicant must show U.S. citizenship and Texas residency. The required documents are listed here to verify U.S. citizenship and identity.

Voters only need that document if they lack a current Texas drivers license, personal ID card or concealed handgun license; U.S. passport or military ID or citizenship certificate with photo.

After the Legislature enacted the voter ID law, the Justice Department invoked Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act to block implementation. The Obama administration, siding with minority advocates, says the law would discriminate against low-income and minority voters. An appeal is pending at the Supreme Court.

But with preclearance suspended, Abbott tweeted after this morning’s 5-4 ruling by Chief Justice John Roberts, US Attorney General “Eric Holder can no longer deny VoterID in Texas” and “Texas VoterID law should go into effect immediately.”

In a statement, he lauded the high court for wiping away unequal treatment of Texas and other states. He acknowledged that Texas — like all states — is barred from racial discrimination and remains subject to after-the-fact lawsuits under Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act, which remains intact.

“Today’s ruling ensures that Texas is no longer one of just a few states that must seek approval from the federal government before its election laws can take effect,” Abbott said.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        The Texas Department of Public Safety has announced that starting Thursday, “Photo identification will now be required when voting in elections in Texas.”

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.c...g-abbott.html/
        Awesome!
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

but...but...but...it is too much of a burden for me to have an I.D. How can you possibly expect a human in 2013 to have an I.D.?

Comment

While I'm glad to see an ID law in Texas, I much rather see it in places like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, etc. The states that voter fraud could actually sway an election one way or another.

Stevo
            Originally posted by SSMAN
            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
              While I'm glad to see an ID law in Texas, I much rather see it in places like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, etc. The states that voter fraud could actually sway an election one way or another.

Stevo
              Me too, but you never know how this may help that situation down the road. At least states have the right to run elections how they see fit.

Comment

I don't see the problem requiring photo ID's to vote. Especially since they are free if you have no other form of photo ID that's acceptable but also carries a cost. All this does is ensure you must be a citizen to vote here, what's the problem?
                Originally posted by stevo
                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                  but...but...but...it is too much of a burden for me to have an I.D. How can you possibly expect a human in 2013 to have an I.D.?
                  Maybe if they's buy a few less cases of beer, then they could afford an ID. Is beer more important than voting?

Comment

Anyone find it funny that this got struck down AFTER the most important election? Too little, too late. 0bummer is gonna do whatever it takes to finish taking the US down the toilet bowl at a sprint now.

Comment

Any of the forum savants want to read Ginsburg's dissenting opinion? It's only 30-some odd pages.

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                        Maybe if they's buy a few less cases of beer, then they could afford an ID. Is beer more important than voting?
                        If you have beer, then you had an ID to get it

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                          If you have beer, then you had an ID to get it
                          See, problem solved.

Comment

If you think that is funny wait until tomorrow and what happens with gay marriage. I am betting they come out and say that it is a state issue and the federal government shouldn't be regulating marriage. They may even say that the case should have never been brought.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              If you think that is funny wait until tomorrow and what happens with gay marriage. I am betting they come out and say that it is a state issue and the federal government shouldn't be regulating marriage. They may even say that the case should have never been brought.
                              That would actually be constitutional. But not holding my breath

Comment

Working...
                              X