CHL Renewal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHL Renewal Question

So I'm getting ready to renew my CHL and I'm going through the checklist of items I need and I come across this "Born out of Country Documents". Any idea what it is and if I need it since I have already had a CHL for the State of Texas? Reason why I'm wondering is I was born out of country while my dad was in the military.

Also it states that the TXDPS will attempt to use the passport photo and fingerprints on file for my renewal application. Do I get notified if I need to resubmit these two items??

Originally posted by Jose View Post
    So I'm getting ready to renew my CHL and I'm going through the checklist of items I need and I come across this "Born out of Country Documents". Any idea what it is and if I need it since I have already had a CHL for the State of Texas? Reason why I'm wondering is I was born out of country while my dad was in the military.

Also it states that the TXDPS will attempt to use the passport photo and fingerprints on file for my renewal application. Do I get notified if I need to resubmit these two items??
    I did my 3rd renewal, and just mailed stuff in. No class or anything. They will use your old photo and prints if they still photo well enough to be clear. My dad got notified that they weren't able to re-use his prints for some reason, and he went in to get printed. They sent them to the state and he got his license.

Comment

Send in a copy of your birth certificate.

Everytime I renew my CHL they want a copy of my birth certificate (citz born abroad). Nevermind they have at least 3 copies of it. You'd think they would make a record of it.

The one time I didnt send it, they sent me a letter requesting it

Comment

didn't the entire process change this year? You have to go to "approved" fingerprinting offices/photo offices on contract with the state even though you already have a CHL on file with prints on file....??????

Wife started looking at getting her CHL and that was the process even for my renewal.

Guess I need to read it over again per the renewal letter I got in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          I did my 3rd renewal, and just mailed stuff in. No class or anything. They will use your old photo and prints if they still photo well enough to be clear. My dad got notified that they weren't able to re-use his prints for some reason, and he went in to get printed. They sent them to the state and he got his license.
          Last edited by Venix; 07-20-2017, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
            didn't the entire process change this year? You have to go to "approved" fingerprinting offices/photo offices on contract with the state even though you already have a CHL on file with prints on file....??????

Wife started looking at getting her CHL and that was the process even for my renewal.

Guess I need to read it over again per the renewal letter I got in the mail.
            You need to take a 4-6 hour class, submit the chl-100, and possibly redo your prints. You should not need a picture.

Comment

The prints thing may depend on how you initially/subsequently got your prints done with the state. My orig ones in '99 were with the ink, but at some point I remember going in to get them done digitally. On my third renewal this year, I just sent in my money and there weren't any problems with my previous pics/prints.

Comment

Anyone have someone in Denton County to do a renewal class? My guy is running for reelection so he's currently not holding any classes anytime soon.

Comment

As far as documentation required, what I'm understanding is I have to provide this only if I wasn't born a US Citizen even though I was born out of country.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Regarding the fingerprints and picture, mine was old school and done by ink. How can I find out if they can use my old pic and fingerprints?

And a new question here, my CHL expires on 9/1. I'm going to take the class next weekend and I know there is no way I'll get my new CHL back before this one expires so I can't carry in the mean time. Do I have to worry about anything else and just wait for my new license to arrive before I can start carry again?

Comment

As far as documentation required, what I'm understanding is I have to provide this only if I wasn't born a US Citizen even though I was born out of country.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Regarding the fingerprints and picture, mine was old school and done by ink. How can I find out if they can use my old pic and fingerprints?

And a new question here, my CHL expires on 9/1. I'm going to take the class next weekend and I know there is no way I'll get my new CHL back before this one expires so I can't carry in the mean time. Do I have to worry about anything else and just wait for my new license to arrive before I can start carry again?

Just do not carry as a CHL while your license is expired. Act as if you do not have one during that time. If your checklist says to have something, then the state wants you to have it.
                    For the US Citizen documentation, I would just email the CHL department and ask them what they would like you to do. They are very quick to reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Venix View Post
                      Just do not carry as a CHL while your license is expired. Act as if you do not have one during that time. If your checklist says to have something, then the state wants you to have it.
                      For the US Citizen documentation, I would just email the CHL department and ask them what they would like you to do. They are very quick to reply.
                      About what I figured, thanks.

I plan on calling them tomorrow to see if I need the documentation or not and about the photograph and fingerprinting.

Comment

What a PITA. So I called DPS this morning and I was told I do have to provide the Born out of Country Documentation. The easiest thing for me would be if I had a passport but mine has expired. Guy on the phone checked to see if I had one on file that I could use and I didn't. I do not think I have a Certificate of US Citizenship or a Certificate of US Naturalization so it looks like the easiest thing I can do now is get my Passport renewed so I can get my CHL renewed. Like I said, PITA.

As far as the picture and fingerprints, I was told that I will be notified if they need new ones AFTER I've taken the class and submitted my application. And I couldn't submit new ones along with my application which didn't make sense. Like I said, what a PITA. Looks like I'm in for a long wait to get my CHL renewed.

Comment

OK I've really did a good job on procrastinating on this one. I paid for my renewal 1 year ago on August 1 and I still haven't taken care of the CHL class or getting my passport which I need to get my CHL renewed. I'm working on the passport right now and also looking at other means for documenting my citizenship, but because I'm running short on time I'm wondering if I can take the class since my renewal is paid for and wait to process it when I get my passport done. Thoughts? Probably going to call the CHL office on my lunch but thought I would run it by you guys first.

Comment

One other thing, since my licensed expired last year would I need to take a new CHL class or renewal?

Comment

If I remember correctly you have to take a renewal class (if required to do so) within six months of your application and payment. On your fourth renewal you have to take a refresher class (half a day at the Academy for Firearms Training in GP) if you haven't done so in the past ten years. This is only true until September 1st of this year however, because after then only an online course will be required for renewals.

Comment

Working...
                              X