May 19th, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
    The President can, and has historically represented his party. Reagan well could have vetoed the bill and said "here is why", but he didn't.

The facts stand:
    1. This day, 28 years ago Reagan signed an unconstitutional gun law. <- it would have been unconsitutional for him to bypass a 2/3 majority vote.
    2. Reagan could have vetoed the act, but did not. <- veto proof majority, if you're saying simply as a symbolic gesture, sure. We will never know if the house would have pulled it.
    3. The NRA told Reagan to sign the bill, saying that they would later focus on repealing the amendment. <-widely known
    4. Reagan's successor banned the import of "non-sporting" weapons by executive order. <- This is not even Reagan
    5. Reagan said that guns like AKs should be illegal (see above) <- post presidency. And this is misleading quote, what he said was in regards to machine guns not being sporting.
    6. Reagan supported the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban. <- post presidency, failing to mention to presidential party responsible for it's enaction.
    ^^^ Putting that in perspective. Yes post-presidency he supported some shit I don't like. I'm not arguing that. I'm just wanting to set the record straight on what happened with the Hughes amendment and FOPA. I personally would have wanted Reagan to veto the bill for a symbolic gesture. However, the light in which this argument was cast was pretty deceptive.
    Last edited by CJ; 05-19-2014, 05:21 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Your red text did not weaken the points that I laid out. I hold that Reagan signed the bill, and this he owns the bill. His true colors emerged after his presidency, and he was revealed to be an anti gun shill.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Your red text did not weaken the points that I laid out. I hold that Reagan signed the bill, and this he owns the bill. His true colors emerged after his presidency, and he was revealed to be an anti gun shill.
        I think on a personal level that case could be made, after his presidency he did some shit I don't like. From a legislative standpoint, during his presidency, that is simply not the case.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

The true colors portion of your argument simply ignores that someone can change their mind.

Comment

The old man got soft in his later years.

Comment

Ok, assuming that he did suddenly flip flop and have an epiphany that guns are bad, that still makes him a douche in my eyes. Well that, and the enormous amount of fuck ups during his presidency. Obviously I do not think all of these are bad (and fuck the creator for interjecting a copious amount of petty opinions), but you get the idea:

Lol @ encouraging the hostage crisis. Fucking liberals.

Comment

You are now literally posting left wing propaganda. Did you even read half the shit in there? Like "Horrible excuse for a human being in general." You have got to be kidding me. Half of that shit is what you mentioned earlier as supporting, his foreign policy.

Comment

That I did. I do enjoy slandering the shit out of Reagan though. For some odd reason it twists conservative's panties up into orbit.

Comment

That I did. I do enjoy slandering the shit out of Reagan though. For some odd reason it twists conservative's panties up into orbit.
                    Yes it is very trendy and hipster to attack Reagan. Most of it is based on misconceptions and not knowing the truth.

Comment

I'll agree that Reagan is no where the demi-god some make him out to be, but holy shit with that picture. The opinions, assumptions, minimalizations of historical context, and confusion over the powers of the president are...shocking?

Edit: words

Comment

Like the fact that he was anti gun? Or the Iran Contra thing that was like Benghazi to the 10th power?

He was not some conservative messiah, and I believe history will reflect poorly upon him.

Comment

Like the fact that he was anti gun? Or the Iran Contra thing that was like Benghazi to the 10th power?

He was not some conservative messiah, and I believe history will reflect poorly upon him.
                          History already reflects positively on him, that ship has sailed for the most part, he still has the highest exit rating for any president. The people liked him, a lot. Even Obama quotes him often.

And that statement about Benghazi... The President admitted his error to the people. Obama's actions killed people, and then he lies about it to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                            Yes it is very trendy and hipster to attack Reagan. Most of it is based on misconceptions and not knowing the truth.
                            Does Alex need some skinny jeans and ironic t-shirts?

Comment

Arguing w/ CJ in person, brb.

Comment

im with CJ.

god bless.
                                It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                                X