looking to add night sights to a pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    If you're not confident you can do it then that's the best way to approach it. Just about any gun smith can do that, it's one of the most common requests. I'm not the best one to ask who or where though.
    Stop being so modest.

I already voted for you as Gunsmith of the year!

Comment

Most likely to turn an AK barrel into a banana?

<<< This guy.

Comment

sigh, I think I'm going to have to ban Mike again.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'll take a pic this evening...

Comment

He's already banned, it says so right above his avatar.

Comment

I haven't even had a chance to change my user title from the last time.

Comment

Tried to get the best pic of front and rear sights...

What do y'all think? The rear sight has a mounting screw so that one looks pretty straight forward, unless I'm missing something. The front one however does not, is it pressed in?
                Last edited by GeorgeG.; 06-27-2014, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                  Tried to get the best pic of front and rear sights...

What do y'all think? The rear sight has a mounting screw so that one looks pretty straight forward, unless I'm missing something. The front one however does not, is it pressed in?
                  Standard Kimber sights, take your pick of the many out there. If it were me I would just take it to the next gun show and pick out a set I liked from a retailer that installs them free.

Comment

Those are easy, they are both dove tail. The screw is for your elevation adjustment. If you secure your pistol slide in a vise, you can tap out the sights with a brass punch, and then tap your new ones in. You will need a laser boresighter to get within rear sight adjustment range.

If not just buy dovetail sights - that rear dovetail is a little unique, make sure the rear has the sight at the rear of the dovetail. Should be pretty straight forward. And take them to a gunsmith. Usually a set of night sights runs around $100.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                      If it were me I would just take it to the next gun show and pick out a set I liked from a retailer that installs them free.
                      that would be sweet and there is gun shows the next 3 weekends.

Funkytown this weekend, Irving the following, and Market hall after that.
                      WRX

Comment

sweet, I'll try and make it out to one this weekend.

CJ, I read an old thread on 1911 forums where someone mentioned using a punch could break the vials, should I make sure they use proper tools at the gun shows?

Comment

Idk if it's too late but I would suggest instead of night sights do fiber optic front and blacked out rears.

I just ordered a Dawson charger front/rear for my 19. Just waiting on the frame to get back so I can shoot it.
                          Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                          It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                            sweet, I'll try and make it out to one this weekend.

CJ, I read an old thread on 1911 forums where someone mentioned using a punch could break the vials, should I make sure they use proper tools at the gun shows?
                            Sounds like something someone who pays someone to install their sights would say. I've done probably 6-7 sets that way and never had an issue. If you're worried you can use a sight tool (just a fancy clamp basically). They are not that expensive.

Comment

Sounds like something someone who pays someone to install their sights would say. I've done probably 6-7 sets that way and never had an issue. If you're worried you can use a sight tool (just a fancy clamp basically). They are not that expensive.
                              My Meprolight sites came with a warning not to use a punch for that reason. I knocked the old one's out but let a smith do the front since it wasn't a dovetail.
                              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I've already decided I wasn't going to do them myself. I just want to make sure the guys at gun shows can do it correctly with a punch. Being that I've never been to a gun show, I haven't had the chance to meet any of them or get a feel for their competency.

Comment

Working...
                                X