Best Hunting Scope under $400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Hunting Scope under $400

I am in the market for a new hunting scope. My average shot will be 75 - 200 yards. The following are ones I have been looking at

- Nikon Prostaff / Monarch
    - Vortex Diamondback / Viper
    - Leupold VXII
    - Zeiss Tierra

Out of these which one is the best for the money or should I be looking elsewhere?

Holy shit, when did the viper vortex drop so much in price?

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
      Holy shit, when did the viper vortex drop so much in price?
      SWFA has a 6-24 X 50 Viper HS on closeout for $399.

Comment

Originally posted by J&T's 82 View Post
        SWFA has a 6-24 X 50 Viper HS on closeout for $399.
        Unless you're legally blind, and need that much magnification, you will really hate that scope for under 200yds.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
          Unless you're legally blind, and need that much magnification, you will really hate that scope for under 200yds.
          Yep. I don't need any more than a 3X9. Just letting the other guy know that the price on the Vipers are coming down.

Comment

Originally posted by J&T's 82 View Post
            Yep. I don't need any more than a 3X9. Just letting the other guy know that the price on the Vipers are coming down.
            Ah, my bad then.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

id buy the 6-24 and use it accordingly.

Juust because it goes up to 24x dont try and use it in a hunting situation. When i hunt i turn my scopes down to 4-6x and adjust up as needed. A 300 yard shot with 24x on a bipod would be nice tho.

Comment

You're confusing the Viper with the Viper PST, big difference.

From what you posted all of them are decent. The Nikon's have clear glass but lack internal adjustment. If you're shooting short range or flat shooting guns that doesn't really matter. Zeiss always has good glass. Viper's have a little CA in their glass, not quite a clear but they make up for it with adjustments/features. And the Leupolds have decent clarity, but lack features.

The Nikon isn't a bad choice, just get the BDC reticule and the app for your phone, super nifty little tool. All of them are good choices to be honest, but the Nikon stands out imho.
                Last edited by CJ; 05-21-2014, 10:49 PM.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I've been up for a while....

Comment

Their nomenclature is stupid.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I've got two of the Ziess Conquest and love them, they can be found in the $400s now for the older model.

Shop RHR today and enjoy same day shipping on the highest quality receivers, barrels, triggers, rifle stocks & optics for the Remington 700 platform rifle!

Comment

The Elite series by Bushnell is another one to consider. They are built well and have great glass. Imo Leupold is overpriced unless bought at a discount. Nikon is pretty good but has a sketchy warranty on their products.
                        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                          The Elite series by Bushnell is another one to consider. They are built well and have great glass. Imo Leupold is overpriced unless bought at a discount. Nikon is pretty good but has a sketchy warranty on their products.
                          X2 on the Bushnell Elite.

If you really want to save some money, Primary Arms came out with a 4-14x40 FFP scope that's been getting great reviews.

Shop our catalog of Rifle Scopes. Find AK 47, AR 308, & AR 15 scopes from Primary Arms, Trijicon, Vortex & more. Available in BDC, MOA, MIL, ACSS & more.
                          Originally posted by Jester
                          Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                          He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                          Originally posted by Denny
                          What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                          FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                            X2 on the Bushnell Elite.

If you really want to save some money, Primary Arms came out with a 4-14x40 FFP scope that's been getting great reviews.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-...pa4-14xffp.htm
                            I've heard some hit or miss things on the glass in the primary arms scope. Some say it's pretty good others say it is not usable past certain magnifications. It does seem to offer a lot for the money spent besides elevation travel is pretty small.
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Yes the Bushnell 4200 elite is a good piece of glass.

Comment

Working...
                              X