tool to monitor when internet drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tool to monitor when internet drops

Is there a free tool or any that Win10 can do to monitor when internet drops with a timestamp that you guys can recommend.

Bonus: if it can tell you how long it stays down too.

Been having major issues with my internet and had complete new drops done, new equipment at home,etc, etc.

Like to be able to monitor that and check here and there. Want to make sure when it does the ping, it does not bottleneck any bandwidth with those pings.

Thanks

I use a desktop gadget to monitor my connection, it logs total xfer by the day, but I don't think it logs if/when it drops. This will regularly check you speeds and log it, but I don't think it's intended to say we can reach x site at this moment.

Edit: A quick google turn up w/this. https://www.groovypost.com/howto/aut...nnection-drop/

Comment

I can write a little app if you can't find anything that works the way you want
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Thanks ...looked pretty simple, just doesn't say how to put that in a log.txt I can view.

Nash, I found this. Not sure if this is something you would recommend, but seems it would do what I want. Just not up to par on the script/code to make sure it's legit for me. Don't want to do this and it does something else I don't know about.

I did find this:

Hello, Anyone can recommend a simple free/ware software for up/down time net monitor? Thanks

Thanks

Comment

I went ahead and tried the above batch and it does work. Also saves to log each time it connects/disconnects. Doesn't over write, just adds new lines.

I was searching and couldn't come up with anything I could use. The link Brian posted would of worked, but windows 10 got rid of the "display message" after reading more of it. When Nash mentioned writing up a app, I searched for scripts instead and found above link.

I'm good now. Thanks ya'll

Comment

Looks like it does everything it says it does.

Code:
            @echo off
            set Delay=30

echo Connection log script started: %date% %time:~0,5%
            echo Connection log script started: %date% %time:~0,5% >>"Outage log.txt"
            Setting the delay counter to 30 (it's the number of times to ping localhost, not actually 30 seconds), writing start date and time to the console and to Outage Log.txt
            Code:
            :repeat
            ping -n %Delay% localhost >nul
            ping -n 1 www.google.ie >nul &&goto repeat
            Setting up the main loop, pinging localhost Delay number of times (30). After it's finished, ping google.ie (Google Ireland) 1 time. Maybe change it to google.com. If the ping was successful, repeat. If not, continue below:
            Code:
            set OutageTime=%time:~0,5%
            set OutageDate=%date%
            ping -n 1 www.google.com >nul &&goto repeat
            echo %date% %time:~0,5% - Internet or DNS connection is down
            Collect outage date and time and try pinging google.com twice. If either of those succeeds, go back to the beginning of the main loop. I'd move the outage date and time to after pinging google.com because it'll get ignored if either ping is successful. If both google.com pings fail, write to console that connection is down and continue below:
            Code:
            :outagerep
            ping -n 1 www.google.ie >nul &&goto backonline
            goto outagerep
            Keep pinging google.ie until it succeeds; when it finally succeeds, go to the backonline label below:
            Code:
            :backonline
            set UpDate=
            if not "%date%"=="%OutageDate%" set UpDate= %date%
            echo Link/DNS outage: %OutageDate% %OutageTime% to%UpDate% %time:~0,5% >>"Outage log.txt"
            echo %date% %time:~0,5% - Internet or DNS connection is up
            When it's back online, record the reconnection date and log the outage details to Outage Log.txt and write connection is back up to console. Then go back to the very beginning and start all over.
            Code:
            goto repeat
            HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
              Looks like it does everything it says it does.

1. Do you think the 30 pings is too much? Want to make sure that this doesn't cause any issue with flooding network with too many pings that could cause it do lose signal/drop packets?

Code:
              @echo off
              set Delay=30

2. Is this the right spot move the date/time?

Code:
              set OutageDate=%date%

Thanks

Comment

is there a way do an effective speed test using this method?

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                  1. Do you think the 30 pings is too much? Want to make sure that this doesn't cause any issue with flooding network with too many pings that could cause it do lose signal/drop packets?

Code:
                  @echo off
                  set Delay=30

I don't think it would add any additional load to the network. Alternatively, you could replace it with "SLEEP %Delay%" and it would pause for %Delay% seconds.

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/wait.php#PAUSE
                  Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                  2. Is this the right spot move the date/time?

Code:
                  set OutageDate=%date%

Thanks
                  Yeah, that's where I'd put it. It won't assign OutageTime and OutageDate until the pings fails; if they succeed, it'll go back to the start of the loop.
                  HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

You'd be hard pressed for a single host to do any noticeable load on a modern network via ICMP.

When I am doing this sort of thing, I leverage ping plotter.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                    X