Looking for truck for my teenager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    LOL! The one you have been fighting for a year or so?
    You stop that right now! It's only been 4 months of fighting and most of the issues have been resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
      How do you mean?
      I mean that clapped out piles of shit go through auction for retail pricing. I managed to get an 08 4cyl, fleet truck with 115K for $3300 and I was damned happy to get it for that price. Most of the time, that same truck will go for $5k.

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      In our younger years several friends had the 97+ Ford with the v6, and those things were tanks and never broke. Why do you say that?

Trying to stay away from all v8s. I don't want to have to pay for the turd's gas. That's why a 4cyl Ranger is appealing. That and reliability. He doesn't want a Ranger, but when he saves up enough to go buy what he wants I can use the Ranger myself to keep miles off my truck.
      The 4.2L is a stroked version of the 3.8L in the mustangs, so head gasket failure and rod bearing failure is pretty common. If it does blow up, it's not a cheap motor to replace.

The 4cyl trucks are going to be the best on gas, but again any V6 or V8 truck is going to get around 15-17mpg, so you might as well get the V8. You will have an easier time working on the V8 and you'll have an easier time selling it.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
        I mean that clapped out piles of shit go through auction for retail pricing. I managed to get an 08 4cyl, fleet truck with 115K for $3300 and I was damned happy to get it for that price. Most of the time, that same truck will go for $5k.
        Well I guess I'll hold onto my mint condition 200k+ mile examples then lol. I have no idea what they're worth or how I'd get the most $$$ out of them if I ever decide to sell one. I know I can't easily replace them, that's for sure.

Comment

The 4.2L is a stroked version of the 3.8L in the mustangs, so head gasket failure and rod bearing failure is pretty common. If it does blow up, it's not a cheap motor to replace.
          Interesting. I was not aware of that. Thank you.

LOL @ the Gremlin tag. I've been threatening him with one of Don's Festivas.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

FWIW my brother put well over 425K on a 1997 V6 5 speed, never had the heads off. Did do water pumps, timing covers, starters etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
              FWIW my brother put well over 425K on a 1997 V6 5 speed, never had the heads off. Did do water pumps, timing covers, starters etc.
              WOW. Honestly, if I hadn't got a great deal on my duramax, I'd probably still be '97 v6 5 speed. With a set of gears it would have been a great truck.
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Ill look at one I drive by frequently, it looks like an extended cab 4x4, no idea of price or auto/manual. Odds are, it's a 4.0/auto like most of the 4x4 trucks were.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Don't count out the 4 cyl 5 speed s-10. I had 2 of them. The first one was totaled, and sold the second one after I replaced the timing set.

Anything that is in the age range that you are looking for is going to need some TLC. I would plan to do a full brake system overhaul, Clutch replace and hydraulic system flush, cooling system, and suspension (front end and shocks). If I hadn't neglected my s-10 to the point that the timing tensioner failed, I would probably still be driving it. It was an 03 4 cyl 5 spd. The only issue the motor gave me was the tensioner, I knew it needed replaced, just neglected it. I had an 02 before that with zero issues as well
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                    Don't count out the 4 cyl 5 speed s-10. I had 2 of them. The first one was totaled, and sold the second one after I replaced the timing set.
                    Agreed, we had a base model S-10 4-cylinder 5-speed bought used with around 200K miles on it. Never had any issues with it other than a broken clutch linkage once, no doubt worn out from use, and I changed the gauge cluster to one that had a tach.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                      Agreed, we had a base model S-10 4-cylinder 5-speed bought used with around 200K miles on it. Never had any issues with it other than a broken clutch linkage once, no doubt worn out from use, and I changed the gauge cluster to one that had a tach.

No power to speak of, but tough little motors. Got one from auction that had a porthole in the block, it still started and drove up on the trailer.

Comment

No power to speak of, but tough little motors. Got one from auction that had a porthole in the block, it still started and drove up on the trailer.
                        They are gutless. Efan mod helps throttle response. It was a chore getting it to speed on the interstate, but had no issues cruising at 80-85 mph.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

96-98 is the vortec with the spider injectors. 88-95 is the TBI version.
                          The engine carried over in the same body style through 99 and in the vans through 00. There are MPFI upgrade kits for them now btw. Personally I've never really had a problem with the spider injectors. I've replaced a few of course but it's nothing like the problems I've seen with most of the early direct injected engines.

I like the 96-01 S-10/Sonomas. Fairly easy to work on, decently reliable and parts are cheap. A manual 4 cylinder will get 22-24 mpg pretty easily. They are about the slowest thing on the planet though. My last one ran 11.4 at Kennedale!

I managed to get 20mpg with my 96 Silverado once. It was on a road trip to Paris where I didn't use the a/c. It was also pre ethanol days and probably gas without any MTBE. So with modern fuel it'd be 17-18 ish. Most tanks now average 14 mpg.

Comment

I'm shocked honestly that you aren't considering 4cyl Nissan or Toyota small trucks. They get good mileage and you have to try very hard to kill them...they are built like tanks. I'd also throw in the last few years of the Mazda B series (before they were rebadged Rangers).

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                              I'm shocked honestly that you aren't considering 4cyl Nissan or Toyota small trucks. They get good mileage and you have to try very hard to kill them...they are built like tanks. I'd also throw in the last few years of the Mazda B series (before they were rebadged Rangers).
                              I have looked at a few hardbody Nissans. Hard to find in decent shape, or they've got a jillion miles. Tacomas are out of the price range based on what I've seen. They are great trucks but their resale holds very well.

Kind of meh on the Mazdas.

Comment

There is a grandpa fresh 96 ext cab silverado on CL right now. It looks great in pictures but we all know those can be deceiving. 147k miles and he wants $3800. That maroon interior though, ugh.

Comment

Working...
                                X