No announcement yet.

Chickens or Ducks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note that sexers are only about 90% accurate with baby chicks. There is a decent chance you might end up with a rooster if you buy a bunch of them.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
      Note that sexers are only about 90% accurate with baby chicks. There is a decent chance you might end up with a rooster if you buy a bunch of them.
      Until a few months ago we had a townhouse off West 7th over here in FW. Right behind us in the Linwood area (just a block or two away from the hot spots, but not quite gentrified yet) someone had at least one rooster in their yard. I couldn't hear it unless I was outside, but some neighbors were close enough that it was a nuisance. In a subdivision it's a GREAT way to piss off your neighbors.

OP, my in-laws have land in central TX and we're headed down there tomorrow. I'll take pics of their recently-finished coop for you - it's pretty baller. I have friends down in Tomball, in a nice neighborhood, that have chickens (silkies) that their daughters keep as pets. You can definitely do it...

Just don't get a fucking rooster, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        Until a few months ago we had a townhouse off West 7th over here in FW. Right behind us in the Linwood area (just a block or two away from the hot spots, but not quite gentrified yet) someone had at least one rooster in their yard. I couldn't hear it unless I was outside, but some neighbors were close enough that it was a nuisance. In a subdivision it's a GREAT way to piss off your neighbors.

OP, my in-laws have land in central TX and we're headed down there tomorrow. I'll take pics of their recently-finished coop for you - it's pretty baller. I have friends down in Tomball, in a nice neighborhood, that have chickens (silkies) that their daughters keep as pets. You can definitely do it...

Just don't get a fucking rooster, lol
        Appreciated... a rooster is definitely not in the plans...

On a side note our neighbor to the right might actually have a chicken coop himself. (I haven't really scoped the neighbor's area yet, but it is pretty agricultural from what I've been able to see.)

There are a lot of folks in the neighborhood with poultry, goats, pigs, horses, etc... so I won't be "that guy". (Which is cool...)

Comment

If you're thinking about chickens, I'd advise buying a few from the Nealy ranch in Waxahachie. They are a retired couple that can tell you everything you never wanted to know about breeds, etc. and set you up with feeders and whatnot. Added benefit is you'll have eggs pretty much immediately.

if you want to piss off the neighbors, put a couple of guineas with them.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            If you're thinking about chickens, I'd advise buying a few from the Nealy ranch in Waxahachie. They are a retired couple that can tell you everything you never wanted to know about breeds, etc. and set you up with feeders and whatnot.
            lmfao!
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I have a buddy giving away 5 egg layers if you want them.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                I have a buddy giving away 5 egg layers if you want them.
                I know a couple that will take them.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

instead of a coup build a run for 'em.

Comment

Chickens, nothing smells worse than duck shit.

Comment

I loved my pet duck as a kid. But you should get a nice Holstein Cow FTW.
                      sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                      🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

I rescued some this year and now I just have a steady line of ducklings growing always. My girls aren't laying yet but when I see some ducklings, I just snatch a few up. There are hundreds of ducklings here and from what I've seen, 99.9% mortality rate, except mine who are protected until they are big. EVERYTHING eats ducklings. Crows, rats, herons, fish, other ducks list goes on and on that gobble them up and fast. I don't clip wings so they can come and go as they want when they start flying.

If you get ducks, just be prepared to be dealing with the messiest birds in nature. They grow very fast. Fully feathered and flying @2mo Muscovy ducks.

sigpic

Comment

If your neighborhood has got snakes you'll find out quick. Chickens are filthy animals so it's not all rainbows and puppy dog kisses. You'll need to build it in such a way that you can clean out the bottom with ease. Clean it once a week at least. Bedding needs to be changed less often. Fresh water daily and keep the scratch feeder full. A buddy converted a shed to a coop. He cut a hole in the side of it and fenced in a run. Built a loft and put their bedding up there. They take quite a while before they start laying, unless you go a route like what DJ is saying. He got his at Easter and they won't start laying until about the time they slow down/stop laying for winter. They won't lay unless they are happy, and raw vegetable scraps, bread, etc is a great way to keep them happy. If the yard is big enough I would build a tractor out of PVC and netting to let them roam some. They'll eat all your bugs.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            I know a couple that will take them.
                            Allight, I will have Deo hit ya up on Faces pace.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                              instead of a coup build a run for 'em.

Can you just let them roam inside the garden, so they eat all the bugs off the plants?
                              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                                Can you just let them roam inside the garden, so they eat all the bugs off the plants?
                                You don't want the chickens to eat your vegetable plants or the fruit on those plants, and they will. You also want them protected from predators. That's why you need either a run (a tunnel of chicken wire) or a chicken tractor that you can move around. The one below is more elaborate. Mine would be a basic rectangle with wheels on one end and handles on the other. 2'6" or 3' tall. Length would depend on size of yard/garden and how it's set up, and based on the number of chickens.

When we used to raise chickens they roamed free during the day, and we put them up at night, but they also couldn't get to our garden.
                                Originally posted by BradM
                                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                                Originally posted by Leah
                                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X