DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > The Garage > Tech

Tech Automotive Tech, Ford, Chevy, if it's tech, it's in here.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
Scott Mc
Outcast

Default 3g alternator conversion help!

I am on my 3rd Oriellys Optima 95 mustang alternator. Wires are hooked up correctly, pulley is in perfect line but they keep blowing the bearings out. The last one lasted 10 minutes, am I missing something or just chalk it up to Chinese parts? TIA.
Scott Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
homealone
Still got nothing

If you feel the bearings are just junk, you may try swapping it out for a 6303 bearing from Fastenal. About $4
homealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Scott Mc
Outcast

Good to know, it is popping the bearings and trashing the pickups every time.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #4
garycrist
garycrist

The most famous words.
It can't be bad, it is new!

Sorry for your loss....
garycrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member

Dude, I put 4 GM alternators on a car a few years back, all tested good on the bench, but didnt work in the car. Once you tension-ed the belt they quit. it was stupid.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
LS1Goat
Lifer

In my experience, this usually is the result of an really overly tight belt. And add to that a shitty chinese reman alternator that typically will be more susceptible to premature failure.

Pro tip: If you want a rock solid 3g/4g/6g alternator, take your failed unit to Auto Start on Main St. in Lewisville. If you don't live in the area, it's worth the drive. Or make arrangements to ship. I did the off the shelf reman thing once back in the day. No bueno. A buddy of mine that worked at a local repair shop at the time said they send their customer's bad alt to Auto Start and they never had a customer call or come back with a alt problem. Therefore, over the years I've had Auto Start do a rebuild on a failed OEM alt. on 3 different vehicles. Never had a alt problem since. Check your belt size, especially if you are bypassing the smog pump. Consider going up in size (e.g., .25") with a good grippy belt, like the Goodyear Gatorbacks. Those Auto Start guys are gurus on both auto and marine applications. I think I paid them $120 for the OEM 4g on my '03 Procharged GT. It had bearing and regulator problems.
LS1Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
Scott Mc
Outcast

Well good news is I used the Summit tuff stuff 150 amp and it took me to goodguys and all around town with no issues. I did see a few boardmembers rides (all looked great!) but couldn't find anyone. If this one fails I will hit up the gentleman recommended, thank ya again ya filthy animals!
Old 03-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
svauto-erotic855
I know everything, I'm older than you
VIP Member

The key is to get an American-made alternator with American-made bearings. I would not recommend getting larger than a 130amp model.