We're building a house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
    Plus, there's the cost of propane. My mom's house is all propane, stove, oven, heat, tankless water heater, grill, etc. She has a buried 500gal tank, and it's around a grand to fill it, plus the lease on the tank. I'll not have to fill mine very often.

But she fills it what, once a year? Ours last 2 years at the ranch, and it's only about $600 to fill. Pretty sure it's a 500 gallon but I could be wrong. Still quite a bit cheaper than what you'll be paying the electric company to keep the water and house warm.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      But she fills it what, once a year? Ours last 2 years at the ranch, and it's only about $600 to fill. Pretty sure it's a 500 gallon but I could be wrong. Still quite a bit cheaper than what you'll be paying the electric company to keep the water and house warm.
      Yeah, I think once a year. The question isnt if it's cheaper, it's how much cheaper. if it cost me 10k to have all of that done, and it saved 1000/yr, I'd be 10 years out on breaking even for my upfront cost. Assuming that propane doesnt go sky high for some reason.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Comment

Yeah, I think once a year. The question isnt if it's cheaper, it's how much cheaper. if it cost me 10k to have all of that done, and it saved 1000/yr, I'd be 10 years out on breaking even for my upfront cost. Assuming that propane doesnt go sky high for some reason.
          It shouldn't be 10K to have all that done. Shouldn't be close to that.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
            It shouldn't be 10K to have all that done. Shouldn't be close to that.
            it was 2500 to do the cooktop, I stopped there. They are high as hell on stuff like that. I agree, it shouldnt be anywhere near that. A good example is the garage door opener, it's a $350 upgrade for a garage door opener. They are $140 at sears. That's what Im up against on that stuff. Take what it should be, multiply times two or three. Pay half up front.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

it was 2500 to do the cooktop, I stopped there. They are high as hell on stuff like that. I agree, it shouldnt be anywhere near that. A good example is the garage door opener, it's a $350 upgrade for a garage door opener. They are $140 at sears. That's what Im up against on that stuff. Take what it should be, multiply times two or three. Pay half up front.
              $350 to install a garage door opener that includes the opener doesn't sound bad. It's new so I'm assuming that means running the wires for the sensors, mounting the opener, wires for the push button, etc. $2500 to plumb gas lines for a stove is insane. PM Nanus, he should be able to tell you what it should cost. It's basic pipe fitting (threaded) just to get it stubbed to the oven hook up.

Comment

Well, they will, but it gets ungodly expensive to do it. The fireplace was $700, stove $400 (just pipe) etc. They DONT do the tank, so you have no stove or hot water until you get the propane co to drop, hook up and fill the tank. Then the upgrade to propane for the furnace, upgrade on the water heater, etc. Just too much to have to pay upfront.

Plus, there's the cost of propane. My mom's house is all propane, stove, oven, heat, tankless water heater, grill, etc. She has a buried 500gal tank, and it's around a grand to fill it, plus the lease on the tank. I'll not have to fill mine very often.
                $350 to install a garage door opener that includes the opener doesn't sound bad. It's new so I'm assuming that means running the wires for the sensors, mounting the opener, wires for the push button, etc. $2500 to plumb gas lines for a stove is insane. PM Nanus, he should be able to tell you what it should cost. It's basic pipe fitting (threaded) just to get it stubbed to the oven hook up.
                The pipe was 400 to the stove. They are marking up the stove up and charging extra to install it because it's propane. I dont need to PM fuckhead to know that they charge what they charge and until closing, it's their baby.

Comment

The pipe was 400 to the stove. They are marking up the stove up and charging extra to install it because it's propane. I dont need to PM fuckhead to know that they charge what they charge and until closing, it's their baby.
                  eff that noise. Have them do the pre-plumb for the gas and install your own appliances later. Sell the brand new ones to someone. NEVER, ever, NEVER EVER EVER, buy appliances from a home builder. We get discounts on the stuff that we install regularly, but we don't get much of a discount on anything outside of that and you are typically better off to go to a retailer to buy upgraded appliances.

Since they won't plumb the water heater, just have them leave a nipple somewhere so that you can tie into it at a later date.
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                    eff that noise. Have them do the pre-plumb for the gas and install your own appliances later. Sell the brand new ones to someone. NEVER, ever, NEVER EVER EVER, buy appliances from a home builder. We get discounts on the stuff that we install regularly, but we don't get much of a discount on anything outside of that and you are typically better off to go to a retailer to buy upgraded appliances.

Since they won't plumb the water heater, just have them leave a nipple somewhere so that you can tie into it at a later date.
                    it's a few hunded bucks per drop. The wife didnt want to do any of it, but I was pretty adamant about the plumbing of it.

Comment

Gas is way cheaper than electric and I have cheap electric too

I heat both the house and the shop with propane , so far this year

I've spent $586.00 on propane, my shop is 1250 sq feet well insulated

Comment

it's a few hunded bucks per drop. The wife didnt want to do any of it, but I was pretty adamant about the plumbing of it.
                        This is the path to go. Sorry, I thought you were saying earlier that it was the high number of not at all. I saw the price per drop but misunderstood you could just do that. You're smart to have it plumbed and then change later when you're ready. I've had electric previously, but have had gas for a while now. I couldn't imagine ever going back.

Comment

This is the path to go. Sorry, I thought you were saying earlier that it was the high number of not at all. I saw the price per drop but misunderstood you could just do that. You're smart to have it plumbed and then change later when you're ready. I've had electric previously, but have had gas for a while now. I couldn't imagine ever going back.
                          I wish I could do the whole house, but I'll take what I can get. It was a bit of a battle for just this!

Comment

I wish I could do the whole house, but I'll take what I can get. It was a bit of a battle for just this!
                            Find out what day the plumber will be there and have them put a few nipples in key locations!

Somewhere close to where you could have a line dropped on the patio, run for the water heater, etc.

Basically they will put in a T and a short stub of line with a cap. This gives you a spot to easily tie into the system at any point in the future without having to take things apart.

Comment

Find out what day the plumber will be there and have them put a few nipples in key locations!

Somewhere close to where you could have a line dropped on the patio, run for the water heater, etc.

Basically they will put in a T and a short stub of line with a cap. This gives you a spot to easily tie into the system at any point in the future without having to take things apart.

Solid advice. You may even consider having them just plumb to the house and furnace. You can do the appliances, grill, etc later down the road. I would definitely want a gas furnace from the start though.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                                Solid advice. You may even consider having them just plumb to the house and furnace. You can do the appliances, grill, etc later down the road. I would definitely want a gas furnace from the start though.
                                Cooktop may be an issue. Most floor plans put the second floor over the kitchen/family room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X