Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The $1,400 Bronco Project

Here we go again.

Hopefully this turns out better than the $4,000 Jeep TJ Project.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Oh really?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

SAS swap or what?
      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Sweet look forward to the updates.

Comment

The good:
          351w, 104k miles, 4x4, decent interior, new A/C everything, new cooling system, new suspension, runs great

The bad:
          She's from Minnesota and full of rust, shifts hard, smoke in interior followed by gauge cluster death, driveline vibration

95% sure cluster will solve shifting issues, most likely VSS related. It's defaulted to TPS for shifting. Driveline vibration feels like driveshaft to me, not worried either way.

The real problem is the rust. The previous owner replaced both quarters and fenders. First and foremost I need to stop it. I'm thinking of taking it to have it blasted off and then painting everything on the under carriage, and assessing where I go from there. Once that's done I need to realign the quarter panels and fenders, weld them in the proper location (currently alignment is lacking), and then repaint the truck. Not sure if I'll base/clear it or just hit it with a single stage satin black or something.

Once that's out of the way I'm going to turn this thing into an offroad juggernaut.
          Last edited by CJ; 02-26-2017, 08:04 PM.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Fixed the cluster, transmission/shifting issues, etc. Vibration is pinion angle, I'm almost certain.

Rust isn't as bad as I had initially thought. I'll be tacking the undercarriage and frame over the next few weekends. Once that's done I should have it 100% and I'll be priming it with some 2k epoxy. Once I get it all leveled out (honestly it's super straight now) I will shoot some single stage satin gunmetal grey.

Something like this:

I'm also in the market for a set of one ton axles. I'm looking for Dana 60's out of an F250/350 - front and rear.

Comment

Originally posted by cj View Post
              just sayin' brah. If you're going to make it a serious trail rig with d60's or 1 ton axles than it makes sense, because all the factory stuff would have to go regardless. But if it's going to be a budget build it just seems like (here it comes) a factory wrangler would end up being the same amount of money once you get live axles under there and everything fabbed up.
              ��
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Rusty trucks are perfect for cutting up for a CORR style truck. Almost got one last summer. Good luck on the build. What's gonna happen w engine mods?

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  ��
                  What the fuck was that brah? Fox +5k reversal?
                  Last edited by CJ; 03-06-2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

This thing is going to be awesome when you paint it and it morphs into a first gen bronco, I can't wait lol.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      What the fuck was that brah? Fox +5k reversal?
                      just thought I would give you some advise i got once.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        just thought I would give you some advise i got once.
                        Alright, that's what I thought, haha. In certain situations I would agree. If you're broke an XJ, if you want a very capable daily a TJ, but if you intend to make a dedicated trail rig with one ton axles, anything under 4,000lbs is pretty much on level ground. Honestly, putting tons on a TJ or JK is a major pain in the ass. I look forward to an extremely easy conversion on this Bronco, which is why I bought it (and it was about four times cheaper).

Comment

You gonna do 05+ axles?

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                            You gonna do 05+ axles?
                            I believe the newer super duty trucks have Dana 50 front axles, don't they? I was looking for Dana 60 front/rear from a 92-96 f250/350, but I will admit I don't have extremely intricate knowledge of the nuances between the years.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                              This thing is going to be awesome when you paint it and it morphs into a first gen bronco, I can't wait lol.
                              They're doing amazing things with paint these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X