Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It happened in my town...

A white cop shoots a black man.

Let me preface this by saying I am/was a white kid in a rural town. I cannot even begin to put myself in his shoes, or those of any person in a similar situation.

I "grew up" in Wolfe City. A small town with a population stagnated at 1500 people. People come and go, but it stays the same. The family's have all pretty much stayed the same. The same last names growing up in the town. A small rural town in NE Texas where nothing ever really happens that is news worthy. I find myself in Greenville now, not but 15 minutes from there. I don't know everyone in town anymore, though I know "of" most everyone in town these days. So I knew of Jonathan, clicked through his Facebook page, or saw posts that included him from his family and our mutual Facebook friends. Now, I don't claim to have any facts, I was not there, though I do trust the eye witness accounts of those that were there when it happened.

Last night, in "my" town, a white cop shot what I truly believe to be an innocent black man. Not only did he shoot him, he tased him before shooting him, a reported 3 times. Once in the chest, twice in the back. After he shot him, he handcuffed him. No attempt at life saving measures, hand cuffed him. Like a cold blooded criminal.

The eye witness reports of what happened? Well, they read like one would expect, up until the moment Jonathan was tased and shot. He saw some guy arguing and fighting with his significant other and he stood up for her, like he would for anyone, whether he knew you or not. That guy then turned his anger on Jonathan and began to fight him. At that point the cops were called and an inexperienced cop showed up. Maybe he was scared, or maybe he was "Johnny Law", we may never know the truth of what was going through his head when he showed up. It is said that Jonathan, with his hands in the air, tried to explain to the officer what was going on. Though, I guess that was not enough. Maybe the officer was threatened by his stature, again we may never know. What we do know for a fact, is that Jonathan was shot by the officer, 3 times. We know that Jonathan died as a result of those gun shot wounds. And now, the world is a little worse today. Worse because a mentor to many young athletes is no longer there to support them. Worse, because a pillar of that community, of "my town", is no longer with us. Worse, because Jonathan was the type of person that you wanted to strive to be. He was a positive light in everything that he did, and everywhere that he went.

I know, most of this is hearsay, and questions should be held until we have facts. But I trust my people. This isn't a situation where the family of a black man shows pictures of an innocent boy and his Facebook feed shows something else. On his facebook page, he supported the police. Several posts in recent months where he supported the thin blue line. In the end, the very people he supported, those entrusted to protect and to serve, they took his life. He shared his work in personal training, in fitness, and becoming a fitness competitor. He shared stories of growing up in Wolfe City, being partly raised by white families. His life long friends were not black, they were people of all color. This is an instance of an entire community, black, white, hispanic, who all say the same things. This is an instance where members of the community from all walks of life were witness to what transpired last night. These are people I've known almost my entire life, good, honest people, who I trust and believe.

Today, I've struggled with raising a child in a society where a good samaritan, standing up for a woman getting abused by her spouse gets shot. Yes, I understand that I am white, and my child is white, and it is completely naive of me to think that my son has the same danger of ending up as a statistic as a minority. I understand that I don't know what it is like for a minority to live in our country, the way people treat them, etc. I am struggling with it none the less.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Sad. Hopefully justice will be served without any outside forces or distorting of facts.

Comment

I hadn't heard about this yet, but if those accounts are true and accurate this is a terrible tragedy that needs to be made as right as it can be. Any word on if there was dash or body cam footage?
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Nothing yet. Authorities have been extremely tight lipped. Texas Rangers have been on scene since last night. WC has 3 cops. Literally, 3, so no man power to investigate.

The only picture of the cop that exists on line, shows him at a WC volunteer FD function, in uniform, with a body cam. So, hopefully he was wearing it, hopefully he turned it on, or it turned on, however that works, and eye witness accounts corroborate what happened.

I just cannot fathom, no matter the situation when the cops pulled up, how it went from a fist fight with no weapons, to tasing and shooting a man.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been to Wolfe City. They have a little cemetery there. There is a road that runs through it. One one side of the road the white people are buried and on the other side the black people are buried. But it’s ok. The way it’s set up, you can barely see the black side from the white side.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            Nothing yet. Authorities have been extremely tight lipped. Texas Rangers have been on scene since last night. WC has 3 cops. Literally, 3, so no man power to investigate.

The only picture of the cop that exists on line, shows him at a WC volunteer FD function, in uniform, with a body cam. So, hopefully he was wearing it, hopefully he turned it on, or it turned on, however that works, and eye witness accounts corroborate what happened.

I just cannot fathom, no matter the situation when the cops pulled up, how it went from a fist fight with no weapons, to tasing and shooting a man.

This is a sad situation for sure and sorry for what you're experiencing. My only thing that I ask of anyone in these situations is did being black lead to him getting shot or did an untrained LEO make poor decisions? Was it a case of the LEO woke up that morning or when he arrived on scene deciding, "This is a black man. He's guilty and I'm going to be ready to shoot him," happen? I hope the world never runs out of guys willing to stand up for those in need of help like this situation. I also hope that training for LEO's can improve.

I've been in a situation where someone was shot at in a crowd close by and experienced the ensuing panic. I've had someone draw a weapon at me from 6 feet away for no reason. Emotions run high, tempers flare, and logical thinking can disappear. If those things cannot be controlled by a LEO, then they should find another career. RIP to this guy. From what you've shared, it sounds like the LEO needs to face judgment by a jury.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelAngus View Post
              I have been to Wolfe City. They have a little cemetery there. There is a road that runs through it. One one side of the road the white people are buried and on the other side the black people are buried. But it’s ok. The way it’s set up, you can barely see the black side from the white side.
              Dafuq are you talking about?
              Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
              This is a sad situation for sure and sorry for what you're experiencing. My only thing that I ask of anyone in these situations is did being black lead to him getting shot or did an untrained LEO make poor decisions? Was it a case of the LEO woke up that morning or when he arrived on scene deciding, "This is a black man. He's guilty and I'm going to be ready to shoot him," happen? I hope the world never runs out of guys willing to stand up for those in need of help like this situation. I also hope that training for LEO's can improve.

I've been in a situation where someone was shot at in a crowd close by and experienced the ensuing panic. I've had someone draw a weapon at me from 6 feet away for no reason. Emotions run high, tempers flare, and logical thinking can disappear. If those things cannot be controlled by a LEO, then they should find another career. RIP to this guy. From what you've shared, it sounds like the LEO needs to face judgment by a jury.
              Most definitely a lack of training on the officers part. Rookie, in a small town, where 99.999% of the time, all you are going to see is a traffic stop.

Comment

The lack of training issue has always been a huge surprise and concern to me. I remember the minimum of training we received in the Navy too. You learn the rest much later and far more slowly over time. Training is so accessible too, but most cities put too little in their budgets.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelAngus View Post
                  Who the fuck is this asshole?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    I'm almost positive this is an alias.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      His name imply's he's a anal kernel
                      Last edited by prostock1; 10-05-2020, 07:12 PM.
                      sigpic
                      "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
                      through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
                      We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
                      my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

Texas usually gets this stuff right. Well see how long it takes for that officer to be arrested...

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                          I'm almost positive this is an alias.
                          It is, and they were outed at one point but I don't remember who is behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            Texas usually gets this stuff right. Well see how long it takes for that officer to be arrested...
                            I hope so. I also hope that any video footage aligns with what eye witnesses reported in the hours after the shooting. Hopefully they release information soon, I know a lot of people are getting frustrated. The longer it goes with no information, the greater the potential for "outsiders", who refuse to see the fact that EVERYONE in town stands with Jonathan's family, show up and start demanding justice in ways that destroy that little town.

Comment

They know they've gotta dot their i's and cross their t's. Getting it wrong at any step is going to make a mess.

Comment

Working...
                              X