It happened in my town...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
    One thing I remember from my training is that the single most dangerous call is a domestic dispute. We always called for backup automatically for them. It seems that wasn’t possible in this case though.

On the night of my HS graduation, a guy got shot by intervening in a domestic dispute between two brothers over a ho.

I avoid domestic disputes and riots at all costs.
    You were a cop?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      Its amazing that the first point you mention is officers of the same race approaching situations instead of asking when we get to the point of officers not shooting innocent and/or unarmed folks.

The systemic problems with American police are way deeper than just racism. Ive been harassed by cops over the dumbest shit...their methods should never be allowed in a supposed free state.
      It’s pretty much the only point I mention. It seems like everything is being geared towards the color of your skin nowadays instead of the situation itself.
      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
      dont downshift!!
      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

The article that jw33 posted has since been re-written, when I first read it there was a claim that the officer had made racially charged statements previously, which led me to the assumption that this quick decision to use lethal force was in part due to his racism.

If he's never said anything like that, then no, this situation doesn't inherently scream racism.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think Big A walked back his racism is alive and well statement. From what we know, this was a case of a poorly trained, inexperienced officer making a huge mistake. It'd be like putting all of us garage racers behind an Indy car and letting us floor it. The outcome won't be good.

I think this thread shows that racism is not in fact alive and thriving. You have people here of different races (and we've seen the same online and in the news) all saying this seems like a really good guy who was killed for no reason. If racism were truly systemic and abundantly present, that wouldn't be the case.

Comment

Aside from everything else, I just don't know if I believe a 22 year old should be a cop these days.. I mean, I know there are exceptions out there, but with the level of responsibility and variety of circumstances they encounter daily.. I would like to see some more life experience before cutting them loose to operate so independently, with so much at stake.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              Aside from everything else, I just don't know if I believe a 22 year old should be a cop these days.. I mean, I know there are exceptions out there, but with the level of responsibility and variety of circumstances they encounter daily.. I would like to see some more life experience before cutting them loose to operate so independently, with so much at stake.
              Would you also apply this to the military?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                Would you also apply this to the military?
                Military isn't the same, IMO, as you are under far more supervision, scrutiny and control. Big difference with a cop that is often operating alone. Also, the situations you encounter are way more defined, and the training is geared more towards eliminating the chaff up front.

ETA; I do think it would be better to set a minimum age at like 20 or so for the military. And FWIW I enlisted about 2 weeks after my 17th birthday..
                Last edited by Chili; 10-07-2020, 06:21 AM.

Comment

As for cops, I think 25 is reasonable. Your brain isn't even fully developed until then, so having that level of authority over others is unreasonable, IMO.

I could see the age minimum as being for patrol.. Maybe let 21 year old's come start in administrative type roles, court duty, shit like that. Stuff with minimal enforcement duties. That way they can continue to receive training (maybe pull 1 shift a week with a trainer in the field) until they hit 25..

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                    I'm almost positive this is an alias.
                    Not an alias.

Comment

When statistics show that a certain race is far more likely to be violent, more likely to attack a cop, more likely to <insert crime here>, I believe it creates a negative predisposition on the part of the officer.

Do you call that racism or ?

I'm not saying it's right, but if I'm a cop and I know that I'm 7x more likely to be attacked by a criminal of one race than by another, I'm going to be more on edge around the dangerous race. Factor that stuff in with an inexperienced cop that's quite likely scared of black people in general and good people get killed like this story.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                        As for cops, I think 25 is reasonable. Your brain isn't even fully developed until then, so having that level of authority over others is unreasonable, IMO.

I could see the age minimum as being for patrol.. Maybe let 21 year old's come start in administrative type roles, court duty, shit like that. Stuff with minimal enforcement duties. That way they can continue to receive training (maybe pull 1 shift a week with a trainer in the field) until they hit 25..
                        I started at 30. Had I started at 21, I probably wouldn't have made it. Maybe a lot of guys need real world experience first. I think the retail and sales part helped me a lot over the years but then again they did not like the way I policed at first. Customer is always right VS I am the man! Then again I have seen a lot of older cops that were special. 21, first job in a small town, no piers, no 5 guys to show up and go "Don't do that".

Of course had I started at 21 I would be fucking retired!
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                          You were a cop?!
                          It seems Mr. Antney, is a former cop...oh I really hate him now...

Though now it makes since, with his holier than thou attitude and look at me and what I got, and see look at my savings account ledger.
                          He really does come across like Trublu.
                          Originally posted by Silverback
                          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                            I started at 30. Had I started at 21, I probably wouldn't have made it. Maybe a lot of guys need real world experience first. I think the retail and sales part helped me a lot over the years but then again they did not like the way I policed at first. Customer is always right VS I am the man! Then again I have seen a lot of older cops that were special. 21, first job in a small town, no piers, no 5 guys to show up and go "Don't do that".

Of course had I started at 21 I would be fucking retired!
                            I agree with you and Chili, thats way too young for a kid to hold that much power. If he was in the military and then became a cop that would be acceptable since hes had training, but to just throw a kid that age into the lions den, thats too much responsibility imo.
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                              It seems Mr. Antney, is a former cop...oh I really hate him now...

Though now it makes since, with his holier than thou attitude and look at me and what I got, and see look at my savings account ledger.
                              He really does come across like Trublu.
                              By the phrasing it sounded like a dispatcher to me.

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                              One thing I remember from my training is that the single most dangerous call is a domestic dispute. We always called for backup automatically for them. It seems that wasn’t possible in this case though..
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                                By the phrasing it sounded like a dispatcher to me.
                                even worse

Comment

Working...
                                X