Car Audio - aftermarket head unit questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Audio - aftermarket head unit questions

I havent had an aftermarket head unit radio in probably 10-15 years. The past few cars I have owned have had nice factory touch screen radios/navigation, etc and just havent even thought about changing it.

Well I purchased a new daily over the weekend and the one draw back was it had a pretty crappy basic stereo. I have become spoiled to rear camera, bluetooth, etc and want to add that to this vehicle.

So without knowing much at all, here are a few things I was thinking I wanted. Would love some input and suggestions. Maybe even some things I didnt think about?

- bluetooth. both phone calls and media (would the unit have a microphone or need a seperate mic for this to work?)
    - double din size - touch screen
    - DVD player (will be putting in head rest or flip down screen in back)
    - iphone/android compatible. I guess a usb jack or something? Not sure this is a big deal if it has bluetooth?
    - rearview camera. or at least able to have one plugged into it if i bought seperately.
    - navigation. not sure this is a necesity because i really do just like the google maps navigation on my phone better. it has traffic, etc.

i THINK thats mainly what im looking for. But one more thing I saw this off brand radio have that I really liked was it could mimic the display of your phone, onto the screen of the unit. so if you had up google maps and using it as a navigation, it would display on the big screen of the radio. thing is, i read some reviews and doesnt seem to be a great model unit. so i was curious, do other name brand/better units have this? or maybe a seperate thing you would need? but i really like the idea of this

OP note the adapter to mirror the screen is an additional $80 cost. There are also some reviews in the FAQ of mirroring issues.

I have had this one for 8 months (AVH-X2600BT) and it's been great. I never bought the adapter but it does have the app features you can use without the phone adapter. I also got it locally for a lot less than Crutch field's price. It bolted where my stock head unit went with no adapters needed. It auto syncs to my S4 and starts jamming instantly.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jgWFUp2...H-X2600BT.html

Comment

i was actually just looking at a similar unit (1600 not 2600)... and was thinking I should probably stick to a name brand like Pioneer.

when you say auto sync, i assume you meant bluetooth?

Comment

Soundstream makes Radios? When did that happen? I am very pleased with my Kenwood double din.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
          OP note the adapter to mirror the screen is an additional $80 cost. There are also some reviews in the FAQ of mirroring issues.

I have had this one for 8 months (AVH-X2600BT) and it's been great. I never bought the adapter but it does have the app features you can use without the phone adapter. I also got it locally for a lot less than Crutch field's price. It bolted where my stock head unit went with no adapters needed. It auto syncs to my S4 and starts jamming instantly.
          http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jgWFUp2...H-X2600BT.html
          $232 on amazon...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-X2600BT-Multimedia-Receiver-Display/dp/B00GN5K5WO[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
            Soundstream makes Radios? When did that happen?
            Many old high-end companies have been purchased by chinese companies who just use the name and put it on 300 items and each item is sold under four different brand names.

Kenwood and Alpine make great video units but they aren't $199.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
              Many old high-end companies have been purchased by chinese companies who just use the name and put it on 300 items and each item is sold under four different brand names.

Quick question - On the Alpine unit you quoted me, can you stream video? Say, from Netflix or iTunes? My w-900 doesn't do that, hence the question.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post

LOL, those sneaky Asians!

Comment

Working...
                X