What's it worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's it worth

I have a samsung 58" plasma bought at the beginning of November last year. It is practically brand new. Only watched it a few times. Still has plastic on the bezel. I am selling that together with an Xbox 360 Elite(non slim model) and 2 controllers.

What would the pair go for either in the classifieds section or on craigslist. I am wanting to switch from plasma to an LCD or LED for use with my upcoming HTPC build.

Seems like plasmas are not that popular anymore as everyone going to LCD and LED (just like you), and the prices have come down a lot. And, as I'm sure you are well aware, used stuff is worth only a small fraction of what it retailed for when new. Heck, I like plasma. I have two Samsungs that work great.

Unfortunately, I don't have a direct answer to your question. If you're willing to let the TV go for $400, consider it sold. I could use another, but was not looking to spend even that much, as it wouldn't get much use out of it where I'd be putting it. I have no need for an Xbox, personally.

Good luck!

Comment

Pm me a price!!!!
      Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

$400 for a tv I paid $1800 for on sale....lol...the picture is amazing, only reason I'm selling is because I want to have a large monitor for the htpc, and plasmas are not good for this

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
          $400 for a tv I paid $1800 for on sale....lol...the picture is amazing, only reason I'm selling is because I want to have a large monitor for the htpc, and plasmas are not good for this
          I know that's low. It's an offer in case you really just want to unload it. I didn't really expect you to accept, which is why I said good luck.

You clearly already have an idea of what it should be worth, or what you want to get for it, so why ask here? Nevermind, I know the answer. This is an attempt to sell something outside of using the classifieds. I'm not hating, though. Again, good luck.

I bet you'll be able to get $600-$700 for it, maybe a litle more if you're willing to hold out for the right buyer. Which series is it? If it's the 550 series, then at $1800, you overpaid.

Comment

600 or so is what I would pay...

I bought a 60" LCD open box a few months ago for a little over $700...
            "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

not an attempt to sell out of the classifieds. i am weighing my options before posting and unloading.

Fatherford..........what brand/model did you get?

Comment

i use a 60" plasma as my htpc monitor no problem

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                  i use a 60" plasma as my htpc monitor no problem
                  I am afraid of the image retention and burn in from icons etc on the desktop. I think I will keep the plasma, and setup a 32" lcd for everyday surfing and computing on the HTPC and run a HDMI cable from my desk to that TV for media.

Comment

I am afraid of the image retention and burn in from icons etc on the desktop. I think I will keep the plasma, and setup a 32" lcd for everyday surfing and computing on the HTPC and run a HDMI cable from my desk to that TV for media.
                    had mine setup like this for 1.5 years with no burn in. my tv will go into standby if left on the same image for like 5 min or something so i guess that helps. the few times i've had some slight burn in it goes away as soon as something bright comes on the screen. from what i understand the burn in issues are kind of a thing of the past. i love plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by dville_gt View Post
                      had mine setup like this for 1.5 years with no burn in. my tv will go into standby if left on the same image for like 5 min or something so i guess that helps. the few times i've had some slight burn in it goes away as soon as something bright comes on the screen. from what i understand the burn in issues are kind of a thing of the past. i love plasma.
                      Both of my Samsung plasmas have permanent lines burned in where 4x3 formatted stuff was on the screen, and it was never on there for long. No images, just the lines along the edges. It's really not very noticeable, and I still like the TVs. The picture is great! I would be worried about it too, with stationary stuff like icons. My TVs claim that they have anti-burn-in technology, but it must not be absolute.

Comment

Are you really going to be working on that computer long enough to cause image retention?

The only reason I ask is because on my HTPC - I bring it up to select a movie/show to watch. Watch it. Then switch the TV back to cable or PS3. And if I do leave it on the HTPC input, the desktop background and screensaver both switch through a bunch of different pictures. I have had no image retention problems over the last year or so of having the HTPC hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                          Are you really going to be working on that computer long enough to cause image retention?

The only reason I ask is because on my HTPC - I bring it up to select a movie/show to watch. Watch it. Then switch the TV back to cable or PS3. And if I do leave it on the HTPC input, the desktop background and screensaver both switch through a bunch of different pictures. I have had no image retention problems over the last year or so of having the HTPC hooked up.

Best case scenario no; worst case yes. It depends how quickly I can buy yet another tv/monitor and not piss off the wife. We are already at 6 tv's and numerous computers etc.

ME WIFE

Comment

Doesn't really answer your question...but I just got a 50" Panasonic Plasma with Viera cast internet apps the other day as a display model from the local Best Lie and talked the guy down to $425, retails for $799 and on sale for $649 ...gives you an idea of similar size pricing for a "used" set.
                            GIFSoup

Comment

1080p? What model?
                              Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Working...
                              X