SpaceX just made history.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
    Pretty damn close. They had 13 foot waves too, before the live feed cutout you could see the platform rocking pretty hard.

I wonder if it's possible to design some kind of catch towers that fly up and catch it as soon as it lands. Twice now it's made the landing but tipped over afterwards.
    No doubt. Something like the aircraft carrier crash nets.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
      No doubt. Something like the aircraft carrier crash nets.
      His goal is interplanetary exploration. There won't be nets on Mars, so I doubt you'll see them design any landing assistance systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        Yes. Founded by Elon Musk - same guy who founded PayPal, Tesla, Solar City, etc. Basically Tony Stark.
        Elon Musk could not tell you how to use a screw driver. He is a great promoter but he is not a tech guy at all.

I want to know how they protect the landing gear and underside of the rocket form damage cause by back blast. I would also like to know what material the deck they are landing on in made of. Both of these things were huge engineering hurdles during the Apollo program and were solved but the "Cures" were massive.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

His goal is interplanetary exploration.
          I get a huge laugh out of the people who are prepaying 500k for a ride to Mars from a man who can not get a car to run for more then 3 hours.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
            Elon Musk could not tell you how to use a screw driver. He is a great promoter but he is not a tech guy at all.

I want to know how they protect the landing gear and underside of the rocket form damage cause by back blast. I would also like to know what material the deck they are landing on in made of. Both of these things were huge engineering hurdles during the Apollo program and were solved but the "Cures" were massive.
            So he founded 4 tech companies solely on his promoting abilities?
            Got it.
            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I get a huge laugh out of the people who are prepaying 500k for a ride to Mars from a man who can not get a car to run for more then 3 hours.
              I almost forgot, Elon is riding your coattails with the Model S.

Comment

Well he certainly didn't score a 172 on his LSAT...
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                  So he founded 4 tech companies solely on his promoting abilities?
                  Got it.
                  Go read up on the man and get back with me. Until you do a tiny bit of research STFU.

Comment

Go read up on the man and get back with me. Until you do a tiny bit of research STFU.
                    I know enough about him to know your statement is far-fetched.
                    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

His goal is interplanetary exploration. There won't be nets on Mars, so I doubt you'll see them design any landing assistance systems.
                      Theres also risk associated with adding more shit to a landing pad...as well as the needd for an even more precise landing...otherwise the catch mechanism suddenly causes your crash.

Comment

I was under the impression that landing the boosters was so they could be reused to launch more stuff into space, thus reducing the costs of space launches. Not to land the boosters on Mars.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                          I was under the impression that landing the boosters was so they could be reused to launch more stuff into space, thus reducing the costs of space launches. Not to land the boosters on Mars.
                          Good call, you're right. They have the capsule (Dragon?) that they plan to land.

Comment

The Falcon 9 is a $60 mil piece of hardware and only about $250K of that is the fuel.

Comment

Good call, you're right. They have the capsule (Dragon?) that they plan to land.
                              So, again, having some sort of redundant "catch" system would be prudent, then, no?

Comment

Or just drop the thing in the ocean.....
                                Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                                There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Working...
                                X