Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choose one - White House tour or Capitol tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choose one - White House tour or Capitol tour?

Heading to DC in a couple weeks to speak at an SAE event and will have a little free time, so I petitioned Ted Cruz's office for some help.

I got confirmation emails today, but given my schedule I may only have time for one or the other... I might have to choose between a guided tour of the Capitol building by someone from Cruz's staff, or a White House East Wing tour.

Which would be better?
    Last edited by Strychnine; 01-09-2019, 11:08 PM.

Wow...I never realized they were 2 separate things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      Wow...I never realized they were 2 separate things.
      Yeah, turns out it's kind of a pain in the ass. You can't get a White House tour without one of your representatives submitting a request on your behalf, and even then you can't see the West Wing without a personal invite from a White House staffer. I think you can do a self guided Capitol tour - I think - but you'd have to fight the crowds for one of the limited spots, no guarantee, etc.

EDIT: wait, you didn't mean that you didn't realize the White House and the Capitol Building were not the same thing, did you?

Comment

Yes I meant that. I mean I've never really even given it thought so I didnt really hold a belief one way or another.

I obviously didn't pay attention in my US government class.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          Yes I meant that. I mean I've never really even given it thought so I didnt really hold a belief one way or another.

I obviously didn't pay attention in my US government class.
          That's awesome lol

Comment

Haha yeah i typically make it abundantly clear that I'm a one trick pony as all of my focus goes to STEM related topics. I have a few interests outside of that, but the vast majority of my time is spent on engineering. Most of the books I read are just textbooks and in my free time i design and analyze stuff. I stay up to date on current events...but only as far as 15-20 minutes of scrolling the news allows unless it's a major development.

I see it as a good thing to be able to put blinders on and focus on the stuff that's helped me get where I'm at now.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
              Heading to DC in a couple weeks to speak at an SAE event and will have a little free time, so I petitioned Ted Cruz's office for some help.

I got confirmation emails today, but given my schedule I may only have time for one or the other... I might have to choose between a guided tour of the Capitol building by someone from Cruz's staff, or a White House East Wing tour.

Which would be better?
              I have done a Captiol tour that was guided. We got to go underneath with the congressman's staffer, took the train to the different parts, etc. It was pretty cool. Obviously we did the group tour with everyone, but the extra bit was nice. I have not done a White House tour, so I can't comment on it.

If you have any free time, check out the National Building Museum. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

I have done both. Was not really impressed with either one. Smithsonian is a must see.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                  I have done both. Was not really impressed with either one. Smithsonian is a must see.
                  Yep! The air and space museum is where its at!!!

It's only second behind the war memorials.

Comment

Personally, I would rather see the white house, though a personal tour of the capitol with a staffer would likely be very interesting.

I have a friend that is DC police and was their media officer for a bit. He offered to get us into the white house if we were to come, but we couldnt get up there during the window he had open. He's back to mounted patrol, riding on horseback in various parks, etc.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I have been to DC many times and seen tons of memorials, museums, etc. I have been all around the White House but not in it and guided tour of Capitol as noted. Through all the trips, the coolest thing I have ever seen was one time at the WW II Memorial (I try to get by it every time I'm there to just walk around and clear my head paying respect to the greatest generation). One day while there walking around, an Honor Flight rolled up in a bus. Seeing those vets depart that bus, some in chairs, some walking, many needing assistance, was one of the most emotional things I have ever seen. Everyone there viewing the memorial stopped what they were doing, lined up both sides of the walk, took off their hats and cheered. It was awesome to witness and be a part of it. Lots of tears all around that day.

Comment

^^^
                        Exactly. When I was at the WWII monument I couldn't bring myself to take pictures because it just seemed trivial. Did yell at some cock suckers who had their feet in the pool.
                        Besides the WH/Capitol tours, the Holocaust, American History and Udvar-Hazey Smithsonians are a must. Also if there's time, stop by the NRA Headquarters and check out their museum.

Comment

Provided nothing is closed in no particular order.

1. Udvar-Hazy at Dulles is where the have static air craft for air and space.
                          2. Holocaust
                          3 American History
                          4. White House
                          5. Capitol Building
                          6. Lincoln Memorial
                          7. Jefferson Memorial.

Avoid
                          Washington Memorial
                          walking from one end of the mall to the other It is way farther than it looks. They have a tram that goes from memorial to memorial.

We did a Segway tour and that was a blast so I would recommend that for the fun factor.

Comment

White House. Getting the invite is a bitch, so go for it. The Capitol, yeah, you have to fight a ridiculous line for the self guided tour. When I was just there, I WH tours were shut down for Christmas, and the line(s) at the Capitol were 1/2 mile at any given time.

I did get to tour both when I was a kid (14). Dad knew a woman that was a muckity muck with the Dept. of Transportation, and she gave us a guided tour of the WH (both wings). Even got a quick "Hi" from the "Great Communicator".
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                              I have a friend that is DC police and was their media officer for a bit. He offered to get us into the white house if we were to come, but we couldnt get up there during the window he had open. He's back to mounted patrol, riding on horseback in various parks, etc.
                              Whoa! You were gonna sneak into the white house through a window!?!?

That’s some ballsy shit!

Comment

Working...
                              X