No announcement yet.

ISP options when moving to the country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISP options when moving to the country?

We are thinking of moving to East Texas to be near her elderly relatives. This past weekend we found a great house in Omaha, Texas but the realtor said the only ISP option was satellite internet. Since we both work from home we need more reliability and speed.

Anyone here use a 4G or LTE sim card modem for their home? Or know of other options?

If Tmobile works there, see if they offer their new Home service. https://www.t-mobile.com/isp

Comment

Eventually SpaceX will have their starlink service operational, until then check your address for coverage with the different cell carriers. There are companies that offer unlimited tethering for all of the major carriers.

It looks like both AT&T and Verizon have 4G there. Search for things like RV unlimited hotspot tethering and you'll find several different options. The big carriers don't offer unlimited 4 or 5G tethering plans but the resellers do.

Comment

*most* rural/country areas have line of site type services that tend to blow satellite out of the water. Check into that - sometimes this requires a mast to be put up though if LOS is not available/trees in the way...etc.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I have satellite, it’s all I can get and it blows. Most of the time I regret even paying for it. Sounds like you already know that.

Comment

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
            I have satellite, it’s all I can get and it blows. Most of the time I regret even paying for it. Sounds like you already know that.
            I'm not sure what the deal is but there seems to be good ones and bad ones. My friend has it and he lives in the sticks, and he's got nothing but good things to say about it. Back when I had it, the rain always fucked it up. He says his isn't bothered by the weather. Maybe he's just got newer better equipment or something.
            WH

Comment

Was not up to speed on the Starlink service BP referenced, but for my Dad - the line of site service just would not work out. A 30-40' mast would be an eye sore and his current internet via sat is just horrendous.

That Starlink service is supposed to be available in the next 3-6 months and could possibly be game changing for those in rural/country areas.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

This weekend we are driving out there to walk of the property. I plan to check my cellphone for signal strength and then visit a few neighbors and ask the local store clerk for suggestions.

Considerations
                1. Mobile hotspot by sim card - 1st choice so far. I'm researching sim card modems and antennas.

2. Fixed wireless by line of site - I've not found an ISP yet. The pine trees are real tall on this property so I'm sure i'd need an antenna tower (more $$).

3. Starlink - News to me and I will be watching it closely to see when its released.

4. Satellite - Leaving this one as a last option. As I have only heard bad opinions of Satellite ISP services.

We would go from Fios 150/150 to ? so I imagine some adjustments. Might have to block her Facebook access

Thanks for all suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X