Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CIA deputy director resigning - to be replaced by....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIA deputy director resigning - to be replaced by....

A White House lawyer.

Lots in intelligence experience with the new gal

Avril D. Haines, Nominee for Legal Adviser, Department of State

Avril D. Haines is Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy Counsel to the President for National Security Affairs at the White House. Prior to joining the White House Counsel’s office in 2010, she was Assistant Legal Adviser for Treaty Affairs at the Department of State.

She previously worked in the Office of the Legal Adviser at the Department of State from 2003 to 2006, first in the Office of Treaty Affairs and then in the Office of Political Military Affairs. From 2007 to 2008, she worked on the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations as Deputy Chief Counsel for the Majority.

Ms. Haines clerked for Judge Danny Boggs on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit from 2002 to 2003. From 2001 to 2002, she was a Legal Officer at The Hague Conference on Private International Law.

She received a B.A. in Physics from the University of Chicago and a J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center

CIA Deputy Director Resigning, Being Replaced by White House Lawyer

CIA Deputy Director Michael Morell is stepping down from his post and will be replaced by White House lawyer Avril Haines, the agency announced Wednesday.

Acting CIA Director Michael Morell walks in the hallway of the Capitol building in Washington, Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2012

CIA Director John Brennan said Morell had decided to “retire to spend more time with his family and to pursue other professional opportunities.”

“It is difficult for me to imagine CIA without Michael’s exceptionally sharp mind, tremendous energy, and absolute dedication to mission. But I am comforted by the fact that Michael will be able to spend more time with his wonderful family,” Brennan said.

Morell served twice as CIA acting director — most recently after David Petraeus resigned his post in December — but was passed over for the top job when President Barack Obama nominated Brennan, formerly his homeland security adviser, earlier this year.

Morell told The Washington Post he made the decision to step down last month.

“Whenever someone involved in the rough and tumble of Washington decides to move on, there is speculation in various quarters about the ‘real reason,’” Morell said in a CIA statement. “But when I say that it is time for my family, nothing could be more real than that.”

I mean what's the worst that could happen?

Wow, she's obviously the best candidate for the job. Look at her resume.

Comment

Nothing surprises me about this administration anymore.....

Comment

He doesn't have a choice anymore. It's total CYA from here on out. Enough attorneys will create a buffer for Barry, so he can at least postpone all the different "investigations" his administration is under.

Comment

Vertnut hit it square, I betcha.

What experience have the past deputy directors had, and how glaring is this compared to Avril's? I'm probably most shocked that he has someone to appoint who's actually done work, and not purely an academic. That's the only thing shocking at this point. I'm sure it's all a big joke to the outside looking in.
          Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Working...
          X