Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School Threatens to Ruin Valedictorian’s Naval Academy Appt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
    The Dad should have stomped a mud hole in that principal's ass. It is obvious that like most teachers are over paid and under worked. Sorry if that offends anyone, but facts are facts.

I'm not offended but I'd love to hear more about these alleged "facts."

Comment

Fact: EVERYONE is too sensitive and too whiny.

Racr, I do not believe he would be a school "official" when doing a speech would he? He is still just a student.

Either way, the reason for shutting down the mic is debatable - but trying to f' up his future is despicable. If that's the worst thing this kid has done, he is doing way better than most of us at his age.

I know Racr, he mentioned religion. Probably should hang him by his toes for being a real big jerk.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

He's not a school official at any point. He's not paid by the school, he is representing himself and his remarks are his. If I go and talk before Congress, am I a Congressional official?
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          Racr, I do not believe he would be a school "official" when doing a speech would he? He is still just a student.
          Yes, because his speech is sanctioned by the school, so for the duration of his speech he's acting as an official for the school. An unpaid official, but in an official capacity nonetheless.

Either way, the reason for shutting down the mic is debatable - but trying to f' up his future is despicable. If that's the worst thing this kid has done, he is doing way better than most of us at his age.
          To the first part, it's not really debatable, the second and third I agree.
          I know Racr, he mentioned religion. Probably should hang him by his toes for being a real big jerk.
          Are people so insecure in their religion that they have to bring it up when it's not the time nor the place? This kid is being a fucking prick and is trying to justify it under the guise of "religious persecution." As I said before, this kid is an asshole, and if what he says is true, the principal is an asshole too.

Comment

What if the kid had starting reading from the Koran?

Comment

In their (JISD) statement they called them (students) "student speakers."

Not that it matters one way or another.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                Yes, because his speech is sanctioned by the school, so for the duration of his speech he's acting as an official for the school. An unpaid official, but in an official capacity nonetheless.

To the first part, it's not really debatable, the second and third I agree.

Are people so insecure in their religion that they have to bring it up when it's not the time nor the place? This kid is being a fucking prick and is trying to justify it under the guise of "religious persecution." As I said before, this kid is an asshole, and if what he says is true, the principal is an asshole too.
                1. Who is to decide the time and place when free speech should be recognized?
                The kid has obviously already reached a high level of achievement by being valedictorian of his class and appointment to the Naval Academy. What is so wrong with him mentioning his personal beliefs at the first point of culmination of all of his hard work?

2. Why does someone mentioning god mean they are insecure in their religion? Clearly those that believe attribute much of the positives in their life to their god, how does that hurt anyone else?

3. Why do you say the kid is an asshole? Because he decided to follow his gut and challenge the unreasonable rules and restrictions placed against him? The cutting off of the mic thing was certainly within the school's authority, but that does not seem to be what is prompting the attention. The crux seems to be the threats by the principle to bad-mouth him to the Naval Academy. And that is 100% vindictiveness. I am 100% behind them suing the district for that bullshit. That is a major abuse, if you ask me.

This all boils down to a case where a school principal is so accustomed to being able to exert his will, right or wrong, that he completely lost sight of the big picture, and his role as an educator. Total bullshit pride.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
                  The Dad should have stomped a mud hole in that principal's ass. It is obvious that like most teachers are over paid and under worked. Sorry if that offends anyone, but facts are facts.
                  The principal is in the wrong. I don't think your stupidity is going to offend anyone. Lol at teachers under worked and under paid. You sir, lack any kind of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                    What if the kid had starting reading from the Koran?
                    This -- everyone would be in favor of the kid. Honestly, Brent had it right. It doesn't matter that the kid brought up religion and his relationship with Christ. I'm in favor of prayer at school events, and I don't have a problem with a student making a speech about such. If someone wants to pray to Allah, then step up and be given equal time.

As for the whole pre-approved concept for the speech, it's an approval of the topic/message -- not for the school to script for the speaker. I know this because I gave the valedictorian speech 21 years ago. I earned the right to give the speech. I earned the right to tell the story I wanted to tell. The pre-approval was simply to make sure I wasn't overly offensive and vulgar. Anyone who thinks the school has the right to do otherwise is a moron and communist.

Comment

He said the speech was edited and reviewed by four different school officials – including an officer in the JROTC. Sasser said the censorship violated federal and state laws.

“All he did (the kid) was simply follow state law and Joshua ISD policy,” he said.
                      Heard the kid and his lawyer on the radio a bit ago.....

According to his lawyer, school officials had no right (per federal\state laws and Joshua ISD policy) to censor the speech in the first place.

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                      The pre-approval was simply to make sure I wasn't overly offensive and vulgar. Anyone who thinks the school has the right to do otherwise is a moron and communist.
                      ^^^This^^^

Comment

Free speech means people say shit you don't agree with. Maybe the principal needs to sit in on a few classes or something.
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Whoever said he was a "student speaker" is absolutely, positively correct. He is most certainly not a school official, nor speaking on behalf of administration. He is speaking on behalf of his fellow classmates. Look up the definition of valedictorian. Sean, you're dead wrong, and a big part of why is your auto-asshurt at any hint of the word religion.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                            Whoever said he was a "student speaker" is absolutely, positively correct. He is most certainly not a school official, nor speaking on behalf of administration. He is speaking on behalf of his fellow classmates. Look up the definition of valedictorian. Sean, you're dead wrong, and a big part of why is your auto-asshurt at any hint of the word religion.
                            Not only that but it is well known that schools can't sensor a student's free speech within reason. Nothing he said was unreasonable.

Fact is, the Joshua school district is and always has been run by a bunch of hillbilly stumpfucks who think they can do whatever they want. I should know, I moved out of that turdhole as soon as I could.
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

He isn't hurting anybody. So if you don't agree with what he has to say, tough shit. He isn't representing any entity. I have to listen to people I don't care about or their message, but you don't see me trying to censor them. Why is it all of these anti-religious people feel the need to censor people like this, but want to throw gay rights all up in your face. These two groups of people go hand-in-hand. It's hypocrisy at its finest.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                                Sean, you're dead wrong, and a big part of why is your auto-asshurt at any hint of the word religion.
                                jews and gentiles agree. BOOSH!

god bless.
                                It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                                X