Hypothetical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical question

So let’s say you have been at a job for 5 years, everything is going good then the whole business model changes and you are one of 3 people asked to stay and take a leadership role for the same pay. You do it and everything is good, couple of months pass by and you are asked to keep taking on more and more job responsibilities with no pay increase, the problem is there is no position for the type of work at your current company. One day someone gets fired and again they place you in their shoes with muuuuch more responsibility and guess what....still no pay raise. It’s been over 6 months you have busted your balls and have proven you can do the position long term, end of year reviews come up and you guessed it still no position created for your role in the company so no raise. Would you stick it out and hope when they ever do create the position you are chosen to stay and might get a raise? Do you threaten to quit but don’t pull the trigger, or do you actually quit?

Oh one last thing, you were asked to train a fellow co-worker making well over 30k a year more than you to do your position in another market recently.

Originally posted by DOHCTR
    You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Ask for a raise, the worst thing they can say is no.

Comment

Let’s say the company isn’t doing so good financially for you to get one but VP’s still get promotions and raises

Originally posted by DOHCTR
      You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Leave. That's the best way to get more pay. Companies reward loyalty with suppressed wage growth.

If you can't make more elsewhere then you are not underpaid...well sort of. They are screwing you over by not giving you the title. I would specifically ask for the title you want alongside the raise and then leave.

Comment

More work less pay sounds about right! Enjoy

Comment

Been there, done that. It never got better. Got another job offer and took it several years ago. Salary went way up and people treat each other with respect. Much better company to work for overall. Still have some friends at the old place and from what I hear it is no different. Set a limit for what you can tolerate and be prepared to act on any opportunity that comes up. Keep your resume updated and being active on LinkedIn won't hurt either. If the upper management team doesn't respect you today they won't next year either.

Comment

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
              Do you threaten to quit but don’t pull the trigger, or do you actually quit?
              Wait, is this for your wife? No way any self respecting man can pull that type of shit. The way I was raised is if it comes out of your mouth it might as well be written in stone

Originally posted by bonnie&clyde View Post
              Oh one last thing, you were asked to train a fellow co-worker making well over 30k a year more than you to do your position in another market recently.
              This is basically what happened

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
              Ask for a raise, the worst thing they can say is no.
              This. When I decided to retire I told myself the next mf to come at me side ways is the one getting my immediate resignation. Few months later it happened. All of a sudden I was rushed into the boardroom where they met 2/3 of my somewhat ridiculous demands. I was...then walked

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                Leave. That's the best way to get more pay. Companies reward loyalty with suppressed wage growth.

If you can't make more elsewhere then you are not underpaid...well sort of. They are screwing you over by not giving you the title. I would specifically ask for the title you want alongside the raise and then leave.
                Truth right here. Companies loyalty to employees is shit. If you aren't keeping your best interest and career trajectory in sight at all times, you're making a mistake.

We had our most senior team member announce their resignation yesterday. Everyone else was asked that whether plan on staying 6 months or 5 years, that we give the executives our plan, so they can plan accordingly (i.e, pass us over for any raises, promotions, etc.). Sorry chief, not going to happen.

My loyalty extends to the point I'm offered more cash, opportunity, title, or sanity.

Comment

You have to look out for yourself because no one else is going to. They are taking advantage of you. Be an asshole.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Never threaten to quit... do it or don't. You'll have to find another job to fix the problem. You can ask for a raise, but have a plan to leave if you don't get it. And find another job before you quit, it's ALWAYS better to have that first.
                    Originally posted by stevo
                    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Have you actually asked for a new position to be created? Or are you hoping that they'll do it of their own accord? Are you in a company where they have specific pay grades, and they "can't" pay over a certain level if you don't have a certain title?

Threatening to quit just for leverage will fuck you in the long run. 50/50, you might get some more money in the short term or they might call your bluff, but they'll start looking for a reason to "eliminate your current position."

If you have another offer then absolutely tell them that unless they'll meet you in the middle they'll be training a new hire in the very near future. **hint, hint, start job hunting now**

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                      I would specifically ask for the title you want alongside the raise and then leave.
                      That. Ask for the title and the raise. If they only give the title, then at least you got some resume cred to aide in your job hunt.

Originally posted by slow84lx
                      Keep your resume updated and being active on LinkedIn won't hurt either
                      Yup. For a while I paid for LinkedIn Premium to see what it was all about. I would get a message from a recruiter every 2-3 weeks, and actually went through some interviews (for jobs I had no real intention of taking, but just to 'stay sharp.') I got poached away from my last job and moved to Houston thanks to LinkedIn.

Last option - fuck 'em, walk out, find your parachute on the way down. I've done this, and it's stressful (101 days floating in the ether while wrapping up grad school), but it feels good to know you control your own destiny.

Comment

You are absolutely replaceable, regardless of what your ego tells you. Get your resume out there, line up another job, and make your intentions known. If it's cheaper to give you the title and raise than it would be to hire and train someone else, they will do it. If not, enjoy your new job knowing it was never going to get better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                          Never threaten to quit... do it or don't.
                          Exactly. Try and negotiate first. They'll most likely give you the runaround and tell you "just wait another _____ months" and it'll be worth your while. Give them the benefit of the doubt and if nothing happens within that time then start looking elsewhere.

Comment

If you threaten to quit you need to follow through. If they offer more money to keep you, don't stay.

Studies show if money is offered to keep someone they typically leave in a year anyway.

If you ask for a raise and don't get it then you have a choice to make.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                              Exactly. Try and negotiate first. They'll most likely give you the runaround and tell you "just wait another _____ months" and it'll be worth your while. Give them the benefit of the doubt and if nothing happens within that time then start looking elsewhere.
                              Screw all of that, start looking and getting offers now. If something better comes up let your boss know and see if they have a counter offer. Don't accept it unless it completely blows you away and you have a written contract because they'll can you as soon as your replacement is trained but at least you'll know what you are worth.

Honestly I threw in a clause I was pretty sure my former employer would never agree to just to paint them into a corner. Still though they gave me a decent counter offer and actually matched it salary wise but refused to agree to me working from home. At least I know I can go back and not take a pay cut if/when this current job doesn't work out. There is some pretty good value in not having a commute.

Comment

Working...
                              X