No announcement yet.

Kid's club sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds to me like we need to continue to focus on our son's love of music.

Comment

Damn...and that's the shit I've heard about baseball. After league dues, pitching/hitting coaches and travel...you're in it for like 10K a year. Everytime I talk to a parent that number goes up too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Damn...and that's the shit I've heard about baseball. After league dues, pitching/hitting coaches and travel...you're in it for like 10K a year. Everytime I talk to a parent that number goes up too.
        ridiculous part is All of this is so she's good enough to play in highschool. I feel bad for the parents I see with two kids in club! But for real, if your kid doesn't do this stuff they will never make highschool volleyball.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          Well sure. Just don't push too hard. You kid is going to have common interests with you, but he's also going to have interests you don't care for. Just be supportive in all of his endeavors, even if they bore you. I promise you this. Kids turn in to teenagers, and teenagers are assholes. You're going to miss going to the games you consider boring, events you have no interest in, the crazy hectic schedule, etc. Because the day will come where they want nothing more than time away from you and your wife. It all comes full circle in the end, but it's tough. My oldest is 17, and we've been at odds for almost 15 months. Everything is an argument. Everything is a struggle. He wants his independence, and I'm just trying to prepare him for life. So cherish the activities you find boring while you have the opportunity to.
          It's funny, by the time we all get old enough to realize the horrible mistakes we made as kids and young adults and try to steer our own to a better path, our kids won't listen to what wisdom we have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
            Sounds to me like we need to continue to focus on our son's love of music.
            Well, sure they are paying their dues with sports fees and travel expenses now.

Your costs may come when your son is 26, still living at home, and trying to make it in life with his band playing gigs at the local dive bar for 300 bucks a weekend.

Comment

Some people have more money than sense, spending all this money is just wasteful. And all this traveling and time spent trying to get your kids ready for the pros, is just that, a waste of time and their education will suffer.
              I have 4 kids and they all did school activities and that was it, no extra out of school programs that I knew was just a money grab. None of them pursued any of the things they did in school. My S.I.L. did all that volleyball worthless shit for my niece, my niece wound up getting a scholarship to a state school in LA, she came home before her first semester was even done, lol. She was a bartender/server for a few years after coming home and now works for a dentist as a dental assistant.

BCoop is right though, do what you can but, don't go into debt trying to hang with the Jones' or thinking your kids are going to go pro...
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                My son has played select ball since 8U. I don't know a single family that pays that, until you get more than two kids and both in a "more expensive than most" group.

I'll also say that of the 300+ boys trying out for high school baseball at NWISD, only one that made it was a "just a rec" kid, and that's only because his parents didn't or couldn't afford select. Most select teams have one or more pros in the coaching staff, and the group that my son plays for, placed 16 of their 18, 18YOs in div 1 and 2 colleges. It's a very successful program.

Ours is paying slowing into what should eventually turn into a scholarship, and it will be way less in total that paying for college.
                sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                86 SVO - Sold
                '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                  Well, sure they are paying their dues with sports fees and travel expenses now.

Your costs may come when your son is 26, still living at home, and trying to make it in life with his band playing gigs at the local dive bar for 300 bucks a weekend.
                  Yeah, 'cause all of these kids are going to grow up to be pro ball players...

He's 3, there is no telling what he'll into in the coming years. He does seem to have his mom's proclivity towards music, but I was just making a joke, and will invest as much time and money as it takes to foster a kind and compassionate young man, whatever hobbies may come.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not trying to get her to the Olympics or anything. The kid loves playing ball, and is driven to win. I have told her if she decides she's done with it one day, I won't be mad. She's also a strait A student, and tutors her fellow volleyball players after school. If her grades start to drop she knows shes out of volleyball. I am amazed at how impressive of a kid she is. She's got her mom's brains, and drive, and my creativity. We've been blessed to make this happen financially, and we enjoy watching her play.
                    How much would it cost to go watch every game of your favorite pro football team in a season? If you look at it like that this is cheap. And I get to discuss the game with my favorite athlete after every game. lol
                    in the end I know I won't regret this. It's just unlike me to spend this kind of money on anything. I must really like this little brat.

Comment

Looks like you all actually helped me deal with this after all. Sure my car won't be getting turbos any time soon, but I think this is way better.
                      here's one of her serves today. she's #9

Comment

Working...
                      X